Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

IBC Tank Cleaning

wezza13

Hi all,

Going to clean out my IBC tank this weekend, as I'm starting to get clear, small bits of slime in my water. What is a decent method to use?

I was going to use a pressure washer, rinse it all around and then (with my electric transfer pump) clear all of the water out. Finally, I was thinking of soaking up the last remaining tap/hose water with a load of microfibre cloths.

Does that sound how you would all clean them?

Many thanks,

Wez

Hi all,

Going to clean out my IBC tank this weekend, as I'm starting to get clear, small bits of slime in my water. What is a decent method to use?

I was going to use a pressure washer, rinse it all around and then (with my electric transfer pump) clear all of the water out. Finally, I was thinking of soaking up the last remaining tap/hose water with a load of microfibre cloths.

Does that sound how you would all clean them?

Many thanks,

Wez
As you planned is what I would do. After thoroughly rinsing I wouldn't go to the lengths you suggest to remove every last drop of rinse water from the IBC tank.

If you are refilling with pure from your r/o, any impurities will soon disappear with 1000 liters of pure in the tank. I've had to wash out my 3 x 150 liter linked tanks on my trailer every 2 weeks in the summer in the early days. I didn't bother about the remaining rinse water inside the tanks I couldn't remove easily. After a clean out the water always read 000 when the tanks were refilled.

In those days our tap water was around the 250ppm mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you planned is what I would do. After thoroughly rinsing I wouldn't go to the lengths you suggest to remove every last drop of rinse water from the IBC tank.

If you are refilling with pure from your r/o, any impurities will soon disappear with 1000 liters of pure in the tank. I've had to wash out my 3 x 150 liter linked tanks on my trailer every 2 weeks in the summer in the early days. I didn't bother about the remaining rinse water inside the tanks I couldn't remove easily. After a clean out the water always read 000 when the tanks were refilled.

In those days our tap water was around the 250ppm mark.

Thank you for your response, it's much appreciated!

I was planning for the worst tbh, but you're right, once it's refilled from my R/O system the 1000 litres will cover any impurities.

I've bought 3 new 150 membranes, so will change it all in one hit. The resin in the DI vessel too. Just changed the pre-filters last week, so should be back to how it should be! 

Cheers,

Wez

Best way to kill this off and any other pathogens that may be in the tank is put in some sodium hypochlorite ( bleach ) in the tank then fill it to the top with tap water , pump it around the tank  for about 30-45 muinits then let it stand for an hour or so , then drain / pump it out then flush it out with tap water , rinsing through all pumps and hoses DO NOT HOWEVER PUT BLEACH THROUGH ANY FILTERS , then re fill with pure and off you go , we do ours like this occasionally this is the way ionics do it if you take your system to them for a service and they will charge you a fortune to do it , it would only cost a round a fiver in bleach if that 

Back