Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo cleaning / roof cleaning advice

Jamespf1

Hi all, 

been thinking of starting a roof cleaning business. Just needed to clear up some questions I have found difficult to get answer for. Any help would be great! 

1. Can I use a hypo mix on any type of tile? I know that you can use hypo where it comes into contact with metal.

2. How long should I leave hypo on a roof? For a medium darkness roof and a really dark roof? 

3. Do I need to spray more than once? Or shall I just up the hypo mix?

4. Will spraying hypo then washing off any grass\plants that might have been in contact save the plants? 

5. Will water, hypo and soap be a good soft wash chemical to use? I’ve seen a lot of companies promote a (expensive) chemical that they add to their mix. ( Softwash Soloutions UK - green mix) Is this add on necessary? 

6. What are the legal requirements when using hypo on customer roofs? Do I HAVE TO tell the,? Do I need a  license or proper  training to use it on customers roofs?

Tha ks is very much guys!

Hi all, 

been thinking of starting a roof cleaning business. Just needed to clear up some questions I have found difficult to get answer for. Any help would be great! 

1. Can I use a hypo mix on any type of tile? I know that you can use hypo where it comes into contact with metal.

2. How long should I leave hypo on a roof? For a medium darkness roof and a really dark roof? 

3. Do I need to spray more than once? Or shall I just up the hypo mix?

4. Will spraying hypo then washing off any grass\plants that might have been in contact save the plants? 

5. Will water, hypo and soap be a good soft wash chemical to use? I’ve seen a lot of companies promote a (expensive) chemical that they add to their mix. ( Softwash Soloutions UK - green mix) Is this add on necessary? 

6. What are the legal requirements when using hypo on customer roofs? Do I HAVE TO tell the,? Do I need a  license or proper  training to use it on customers roofs?

Tha ks is very much guys!

I don’t want to be rude but buy the questions you are asking you clearly haven’t got a clue , please don’t go and try and do this type of work with out training , and a full understanding of which chemicals to use and how to use them , also remember the working at heights regs too how are you going to access the roof ? Get some experience working with a professional who already does this type of work , and or go on a softwashing course , Darran smith at purple rhino does courses theyvare very comprehensive, give him a ring and have a chat , softwashing and roof cleaning arnt a case of just chucking hypo on something, if you don’t know what you are doing it won’t be long before you either have an accident or do some serious damage to someone’s property or yourself . 

It would be totaly wrong of anyone to tell you how to do it on a forum ,you cannot learn how to do a job like this in a few lines of writing in a post , don’t take this the wrong way Ime not saying don’t do it , Ime saying get training first , try and work with someone who is skilled at doing it not someone who thinks they know what they are doing there is a big difference,.

Softwash training course in Glasgow on the 15th & 16 April (cost £490) don't know where though. Softwashtrainingsolutions.com are holding it and I have asked where it is being held. You get a City & Guilds Cert when you finish it.

Latest Posts

Back