Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing a job what's the easiest way???

Pricing a job what's the easiest way?

Boys I think some of my house's are cheaply priced I'm in northern Ireland wouldn't mind some advice on the best way to price.

20180926_151110.jpg

20180926_150747.jpg

I'm also in N Ireland and I would be £12. I've a £10 minimum but I hardly go below £12. ( you should never put your brush against a wall ) 

Also there's loads around here that would do it for £7 or £8. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I charge £7 but the previous cleaner was£11

I can do 5-6 of this type easily in an hour which is over £40 per hr which to me is great.
Well I think you could out yours up a bit if they were happy paying £11. I find from when I started charging more I could take my time and still make good money. 

Mine are also spread out so I've a bit of traveling time. I got some flyers delivered last week and got 5 jobs at 3×£12 one at £14 and one at £18. They were a wee bigger then that house. 

I'd say £12 myself although knowing myself I'd cave in at £10 ffs. Where you lads based? 
I'm in Bangor.  

I based the price on what I usually charge was unaware the previous number but the customer said he was raising the cost every yr hence my post regarding am I too cheap 

I get alot of people wanting my services because I come recomended and reasonably priced my wife says dont be greedy your doing well lol

So how do youz actually price it?do u count windows?
I have a set minimum so when a customer calls me i inform them from the get go my bottom line is £12 (and this is the north east of England where they claim you cant charge that much).

For that house i would do it for £25 for the first clean and the £15 every 4 weeks.(yes even in the north east)

I have a set minimum so when a customer calls me i inform them from the get go my bottom line is £12 (and this is the north east of England where they claim you cant charge that much).

For that house i would do it for £25 for the first clean and the £15 every 4 weeks.(yes even in the north east)

So tell me how you work out the price 

Mostly you just guess. You get a good feel for the work after you've done it a while and don't need to use a system. 

If you need a system to help you though, this is what I used to do which works very well:

You count the number of panes of glass. Count 2 panes for doors, and 2 or 3 for each patio door depending on how big they are. You take this number (34 for the house above) and divide it by 2 (=17)

That is the number of minutes the house will take to clean on a regular clean. It probably won't quite take that long but it works in a little extra for collecting, moving between houses, packing away etc.

You simply apply your hourly rate to that 17 minutes. So for £40ph you get £11.33 so round it up to £12. Travel time needs to be included on top if you have to drive out to it.

It works surprisingly well and is almost uncanny sometimes on predicting how long a job will take.

I have a price calculator that works in Excel in the files section of the website. It works on this principle but has a lot more options and is more accurate.

Eventually you won't need anything like this but it's handy at first. Stops you giving out a ridiculously low quote at least.

Edit: Oh and double it for the first clean unless your viewing your extra work on the first clean as an investment.

Well from the pictures i see 11 windows (doors included) so for me 11 * 2 = £22 then i work out fuel/water/pads for first clean = £3 so i come up with the first clean fee of £25

I then remember my rule of a minimum of £12 and add what i think is fair on top depending on location, access and time it will take me to complete the job. 

I'm only a few months old so others may have a better way than how i work it out, but that's how i normally come up with a price. 

Don't listen to what people say about prices in areas, you can set the prices how ever you like and anyone who says you wont get that around here is wrong.

Mostly you just guess. You get a good feel for the work after you've done it a while and don't need to use a system. 

If you need a system to help you though, this is what I used to do which works very well:

You count the number of panes of glass. Count 2 panes for doors, and 2 or 3 for each patio door depending on how big they are. You take this number (34 for the house above) and divide it by 2 (=17)

That is the number of minutes the house will take to clean on a regular clean. It probably won't quite take that long but it works in a little extra for collecting, moving between houses, packing away etc.

You simply apply your hourly rate to that 17 minutes. So for £40ph you get £11.33 so round it up to £12. Travel time needs to be included on top if you have to drive out to it.

It works surprisingly well and is almost uncanny sometimes on predicting how long a job will take.

I have a price calculator that works in Excel in the files section of the website. It works on this principle but has a lot more options and is more accurate.

Eventually you won't need anything like this but it's handy at first. Stops you giving out a ridiculously low quote at least.

Edit: Oh and double it for the first clean unless your viewing your extra work on the first clean as an investment.
Excellent system and perfectly explained ?

That would be 15 minimum here in Hertfordshire without customer batting an eyelid

Pricing a job what's the easiest way?

Boys I think some of my house's are cheaply priced I'm in northern Ireland wouldn't mind some advice on the best way to price.

View attachment 16121

View attachment 16122
Firstly and very important, as Wee Man pointed out, never let your bristles touch the brickwork. I would have turned the brush away from the wall and rested it at a sideways angle against the downpipe. My price would normally be £15 six weekly but £14 would be doable. My wife used to worry about me charging a proper price too. I stuck with my pricing, even when I was starting out, and now she leaves it to me. Pricing correctly comes with experience. Do not underprice. If they say my previous wc used to only charge x, my answer is, that was him not me, where is he now? I take a good look around. Things to consider include : ease of access, clutter, dog muck, awkward reach, do I get a good feeling about the customer. Let them know the day before that you will be coming, to make sure any gate is left unlocked. Leave them a Ziplock bag with a business card in it to leave out the back with the payment in. Tell them that if you can't get in because the gate is locked, you'll do what you can get to and charge two thirds, so you don't have a wasted trip. If you can, I strongly suggest 6 weekly work is the best, as I find people are happier than they were with 4 weekly. I would schedule on 6 or 12 weekly to make the planning easy, charging an extra 50% for 12 weekly.

If you're new to it, be friendly but strong and firm. 

Good luck. ?

I'd call that house a tenner - if reasonably local to me. Otherwise driving a 1.8auto I'd call it 15. Out of town would be £20 as i'm really not interested in going that far as it's time and money for fuel.

So how do youz actually price it?do u count windows?

Purely by accident, I seem to literally be going by how many floors a house has. I did mull over counting the windows but so far everywhere i've been has been two floors (ground and 1st) and the only one two i've done with three floors (G, 1st, 2nd) has been my neighbour (£10 - didn't even need to start the car - easy money) and a house in a nearby new build estate - so i charged £15 as it was big. Flaming thing took me 1.5 hours lol (and killed my wrists using all six poles) so barely scraped the minimum wage on that today but it was a first clean, in future I'll be in and out of there pronto once i've got my speed up. In reality i did underprice that house as it turns out it has 8 windows at the front - i thought it had just 4! I should have charged £25 for it really but hey ho, she's a nice enough customer and happy for me to turn up and do my cleaning if she's out then bank transfer so minimal fuss there really.

Got another booked for Monday, 2 floors, loads of windows but charging a tenner for it again lol

how the hell do you get £11.33  i've been sat here 30 mins n i can't work it out 

Firstly and very important, as Wee Man pointed out, never let your bristles touch the brickwork. I would have turned the brush away from the wall and rested it at a sideways angle against the downpipe. My price would normally be £15 six weekly but £14 would be doable. My wife used to worry about me charging a proper price too. I stuck with my pricing, even when I was starting out, and now she leaves it to me. Pricing correctly comes with experience. Do not underprice. If they say my previous wc used to only charge x, my answer is, that was him not me, where is he now? I take a good look around. Things to consider include : ease of access, clutter, dog muck, awkward reach, do I get a good feeling about the customer. Let them know the day before that you will be coming, to make sure any gate is left unlocked. Leave them a Ziplock bag with a business card in it to leave out the back with the payment in. Tell them that if you can't get in because the gate is locked, you'll do what you can get to and charge two thirds, so you don't have a wasted trip. If you can, I strongly suggest 6 weekly work is the best, as I find people are happier than they were with 4 weekly. I would schedule on 6 or 12 weekly to make the planning easy, charging an extra 50% for 12 weekly.

Good luck. ?

Good luck. ?

Back