Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter repair enquiries

mupps

Lately I'm getting more and more requests from customers for gutter repairs. It seems that there aren't many companies out there that are interested in this as they think it's too smaller job to be worth it; and also they can't make enough money out of it either! 

I repaired a gutter that was leaking in three different places recently and between two of us it was done in 1 1/2 hours. I charged £80 and the customer was really happy. £20 for my assistant and £60 for me = £40 hourly rate for myself!

No brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with you most people arnt Interested  in doing it we get asked all the time , but ime to busy to take it on , if someone wants to be a handy man I think they could do quite well out of it along with other small jobs around the home 

Most of the time all you have to do is clip a gutter back in to its socket or seal a leaking joint, both of which are a piece of cake if you can get ladder access. The only snag is many builders cut the guttering too short, it then contracts in cold weather, shoots out of the joint, but it never fully expands again. Bish bash bosh on the installation side. New gutter cut to correct length needed sometimes. Other times not enough brackets to start with or gutters not looked after so they sag and bend, again new section or additional brackets needed. 

wooden fascias rotted and nothing to fix gutter to etc etc. 

As regards major mucking about it shouldn't really be done off a ladder it should be done off scaffolding if replacing whole sections etc. catch 22 no-one wants to pay for scaffolding for a repair and can you find someone idiotic enough to attempt some of these jobs without a scaffold ?‍♂️ 

Poxy job in my opinion. Rather be on the ground pushing a pole about still earning that sort of money ?
I looked at getting a 2 man rope access team to do some windows on a new site I was quoting for, rather than cherry pickers. They were less than what I'd expect to make standing on the floor ? I know which way I'd prefer to make my money, not that there's a rope system strong enough to hold me ? 

Totally agree with you most people arnt Interested  in doing it we get asked all the time , but ime to busy to take it on , if someone wants to be a handy man I think they could do quite well out of it along with other small jobs around the home 
Thing is for safety reasons using ladder when repairing guttering you need someone footing it...so most jobs are 2 man jobs.

I can’t get enough of this type of work, gutter clearing included. It pays more than cleaning windows and is a lot less physical than other add ons like pvc cleaning etc. I find that people will pay ALOT more for essential repairs that could end up costing £££’s down the line than luxury’s such as window cleaning.  Had one the other week for one of my regular customers, a nice easy £10 monthly window cleaning job that probs takes around 10-15 mins. He asked me could I repair his gutter as it was leaking at one of the joins. He had already contacted a local gutter firm and they wanted over £100 to replace the joining section. Upon inspection it was just the seal that had gone and just needed a bit of gutter sealant which I always have in the van. I have a minimum charge of £30 for jobs like this so that’s what I quoted. All in all it took me 10-15 mins to earn a tenner cleaning his windows and five minutes to earn £30 for a sealant job for which he even gave me an extra tenner as he thought he was saving big time compared to his previous quote. That’s 3 times the money for a lot less work and he was a lot more appreciative also. 

Back