Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payment by DD/card method and new items arrived

Hyzer373

I have got all my gear now (backpack is quite heavy even without all the water in) also the backpack inside is all wet like it was filled with water, any others who got the gardiner backpack was your one like that? I find it slightly strange to receive a new item already used and water left inside but the condition seems decent, the straps to wear the backpack could be a little more longer/adaptable as it’s a bit tight to put on, the clx pole though I am very impressed with.
I will be starting my canvassing from the weekend, I’ve seen that a lot of window cleaners get paid by card of the customers nowadays just wondering how that works?
What do you ask the customer? I’m thinking with canvassing I won’t really know the customers to well so would feel a bit funny asking for card details or even passing them mine to set up a direct debit, how does this all work?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 points. 

1. Do not carry the backpack around on your back, get a trolley or you’ll be in agony after a few weeks 

2. Some use PayPal or other forms of direct debit. I’m old school and tell them to pay online. That way it’s you giving your details ?

Backpacks I assume are tested before been sent out, just like R/O's and new systems this is normal practice to ensure that they work ask they should. 

2 points. 

1. Do not carry the backpack around on your back, get a trolley or you’ll be in agony after a few weeks 

2. Some use PayPal or other forms of direct debit. I’m old school and tell them to pay online. That way it’s you giving your details ?

I don’t have a trolley so I will just carry by handle.

tell them to pay online? That’s pretty much same as a direct debit isn’t it, set up monthly? 

Backpacks I assume are tested before been sent out, just like R/O's and new systems this is normal practice to ensure that they work ask they should. 
Yeah I thought it must be that, suppose it does make sense to test it before sending out

It’s not set up monthly. You give them a price, your bank details and they pay after you’ve cleaned.

As for the trolley, buy one. Walking around carrying heavy water will cause unnecessary strain 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not set up monthly. You give them a price, your bank details and they pay after you’ve cleaned.

As for the trolley, buy one. Walking around carrying heavy water will cause unnecessary strain 
But then you are relying on the customer remembering to pay the money in, something I want to try avoid is chasing customers

But then you are relying on the customer remembering to pay the money in, something I want to try avoid is chasing customers
Then go DD. 

I dont use DD, I use bank transfer. Customer gets a text after clean. Then a week later another text to remind them to pay if they haven’t. If it’s coming up to the next clean and they still haven’t paid, a friendly reminder that payment is due and that you need it before you can carry out anymore work. To be honest, at this point your getting ready to sack them, as the good customers have paid by now. (I allow some customers two months credit but only my original customers who are use to that and I know I’ll get paid. New customers are one month only). 

Get yourself set up with @Squeegee App. £10 a moth and we’ll worth it. Let’s you track who’s paid and hasn’t so makes reminding customers a doodle. In fact, some guys talk about how GC  is worth it for them as saved them time and therefore money. I figured out that using squeegee and sending reminders was more cost effective for me than GC. I know, I’m real sad! ?

Most customers pay online within 24-48 hours after you’ve put a ticket through their door. 

If not a reminder text 7 days later is always followed by a “oh I’m so sorry hectic week I’ll do it now”

Go down the Direct debit root if you want, it works for most, but I guarantee some/a few potential customers will decline your service ONLY because they don’t want to sign up direct debit. 

As proven on here most (not all) customers these days are happy to sign up with a DD, but if you’re starting out you wanna get every good customer you can get, regardless of HOW they pay you as long as they’re reliable customers who ALWAYS pay you.

I have a mixture of Online transfers there & then Or that night/next day if they’re out st the time, cash there & then, cheque there & then, cheque in the post few days later, and very occasionally money or cheque hand delivered through my door, there’s a retired lady who plays bowls near me apparently haha. 

Latest Posts

Back