Jump to content
Carts69

How on Earth.....



Recommended Posts

Carts69

Just done a conny roof clean today, the customer wants the weed up in the corner removed, I’ve got a gutter vac but don’t fancy my chances, awkward location, metal bars going around the gutter & hedgehog lengths in the gutters, any ideas?

71674B69-5F14-4E0E-B4FC-817B070E1240.jpeg.f8a52fd72fa9df9c0cfe4d2283e5457f.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service

Ask them if you can hang out the upstairs window. Get your pal to hold you and lean up and pull it out. I thought it was meant to be there going by the size of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
1 minute ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Ask them if you can hang out the upstairs window. Get your pal to hold you and lean up and pull it out. I thought it was meant to be there going by the size of it.

Lean out of window 🤪 be ideal if I were Stretch Armstrong! Too greater distance for that, yea it looks happy where it’s growing, I’d say it’s thriving up there, enjoying the rays.

Just wondering if I could rig up a long hook or something similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service

If I had to clear the gutter then I would put a ladder against the conny and vac from there. Might be easier if the gutter was wet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
2 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

If I had to clear the gutter then I would put a ladder against the conny and vac from there. Might be easier if the gutter was wet?

I’d be more confident in vaccing it out if it was loose, but I reckon that has one hell of a clump at the base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service
2 minutes ago, Carts69 said:

I’d be more confident in vaccing it out if it was loose, but I reckon that has one hell of a clump at the base

 

Aye, looks like a few years growth there and what's the idea with metal bars?

Get you to clean the conny roof then they want the gutters cleared, I usually get those jobs in that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P4dstar

I can't tell from the picture but round here the houses with those stupid bars in front of the gutter have them to stop the ridiculous old tiles from falling and killing people. If that's the case don't touch it man.

 

In terms of reaching it a conservatory ladder is the only way I can see. I've got difficult ones out with the vac before but not with those stupid things in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
4 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

 

Aye, looks like a few years growth there and what's the idea with metal bars?

Get you to clean the conny roof then they want the gutters cleared, I usually get those jobs in that order.

Metal bars...no idea why they are there, yep as soon as that weed is lifted.. the conny rood will need a rinse down...again.

I have just messaged the customer, I’m gonna give it a go tomorrow morning, see if the vac will lift it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service

If it doesn't budge then give the gutter a good soaking and it should loosen it up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Part Timer
2 minutes ago, Carts69 said:

Metal bars...no idea why they are there, yep as soon as that weed is lifted.. the conny rood will need a rinse down...again.

I have just messaged the customer, I’m gonna give it a go tomorrow morning, see if the vac will lift it? 

If you haven't got a spike to break it up then attack it from either side with the vac to try and break it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
2 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I can't tell from the picture but round here the houses with those stupid bars in front of the gutter have them to stop the ridiculous old tiles from falling and killing people. If that's the case don't touch it man.

 

In terms of reaching it a conservatory ladder is the only way I can see. I've got difficult ones out with the vac before but not with those stupid things in front.

Aaah, that’s why the bars are there, kinda makes sense as they are only around the area of the conny...I suppose to stop any tiles falling on it, 👍

2 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

If you haven't got a spike to break it up then attack it from either side with the vac to try and break it up.

Good point PT, certainly will do 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P4dstar
1 minute ago, Carts69 said:

Aaah, that’s why the bars are there, kinda makes sense as they are only around the area of the conny...I suppose to stop any tiles falling on it, 👍

Round here there are 600 year old buildings with roof tiles the size of some children. They used to stack them with little to no way of fixing. If this is similar then be extremely careful mate, they would cut the average guy in half!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
3 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

If it doesn't budge then give the gutter a good soaking and it should loosen it up a bit.

Yea but wouldn’t that make it heavier to lift?

1 minute ago, P4dstar said:

Round here there are 600 year old buildings with roof tiles the size of some children. They used to stack them with little to no way of fixing. If this is similar then be extremely careful mate, they would cut the average guy in half!!

I shall be aware of that & be extra cautious, cheers 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service

The vegetation seems to loosen up when plenty of water appears and helps suction by making a seal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
1 minute ago, scottish cleaning service said:

The vegetation seems to loosen up when plenty of water appears and helps suction by making a seal. 

 

1 minute ago, scottish cleaning service said:

The vegetation seems to loosen up when plenty of water appears and helps suction by making a seal. 

Ok thanks, if I have no luck dry... I’ll soak it then try again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incheck

Well it’s not my first choice of job i’ll say that much 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
1 minute ago, Incheck said:

Well it’s not my first choice of job i’ll say that much 😮

Yea but think of the glory if it does get removed, when all others have failed 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incheck

In the words of Gandalf himself

“when did Saruman the wise abandon reason for madness”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
3 minutes ago, Incheck said:

In the words of Gandalf himself

“when did Saruman the wise abandon reason for madness”

Verse 4 chapter six, Old Testament 🤫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incheck
1 minute ago, Carts69 said:

Verse 4 chapter six, Old Testament 🤫

Please tell me you’ve seen the lord of the rings trilogy, if not, you haven’t lived 😩

It’s worth taking a day off for😉, you’ll need about 9 hours to get through the lot. With many a cup of tea, lets say 10 1/2 hours. And you’ll be born again bud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
11 minutes ago, Incheck said:

Please tell me you’ve seen the lord of the rings trilogy, if not, you haven’t lived 😩

It’s worth taking a day off for😉, you’ll need about 9 hours to get through the lot. With many a cup of tea, lets say 10 1/2 hours. And you’ll be born again bud 

Like the idea of the tea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
THL4KEL

The metal things might be there for snow...

 

I would soak that for a good thirty minutes, before I went at it. You might get it in one go then. Be hard to get it out with it being on a corner. Let us know if you mange to get it out. Working of step ladders might help, shorter pole more suction. 

 

I had a bad one the other day, I had to put fifty litres of hot water on it to get it out. Used a Gardiners  Backpack to put the water on it max power. Flow rate was not that great, might of been faster using a tap. Got there in the end.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carts69
4 minutes ago, THL4KEL said:

The metal things might be there for snow...

 

I would soak that for a good thirty minutes, before I went at it. You might get it in one go then. Be hard to get it out with it being on a corner. Let us know if you mange to get it out. Working of step ladders might help, shorter pole more suction. 

 

I had a bad one the other day, I had to put fifty litres of hot water on it to get it out. Used a Gardiners  Backpack to put the water on it max power. Flow rate was not that great, might of been faster using a tap. Got there in the end.

 

Thanks for that, I will update tomorrow evening on whether I manage to remove it or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pjj

Depending on what the metal bits on the gutters are I would remove the hedgehogs with the gutter spike , and vac the grass out in chunks , I suspect that it will also be up that roof valley so would also vac that at the same time sometimes these jobs are quick and easy sometimes they are a right pita 

1 hour ago, Carts69 said:

Yea but think of the glory if it does get removed, when all others have failed 😁

 

 

We love doing jobs that others have failed to do 😂😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.