Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Safety first - live to clean another day

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Whether you’re a newbie or an old timer, give it a quick read guys. don’t wish sound like a snowflake saying this but i really don’t want to see any of you guys hurt!

A few jobs i’ve been on recently i’ve needed my wits about me. Working at Low heights is just as dangerous & requires just as much concentration as higher elevations.

i’m particularly talking about working on flat roofs, or in gardens on an incline with deep steps, etc. Its very easy to get carried away, walk backwards a step or two and next thing you know you’re gone.

Or if your working alone on a flat roof, its a bit too breezy, next thing you know your ladders gone and you’re stuck up there for hours.

You may say “oh only an idiot would do these sort of things” but i bet these things are happening day in day out in various trades. 

Rushing due to under pricing is a big cause of accidents. 

If you’re on a job where you cant physically lift things on your own, factor in for a second worker, or find jobs that are easier to do alone. If you need high access equipment, either get it or don’t take the job on. Use reputable scaffolding companies. There have been a few local deaths due to either scaffold collapses or falling from scaffolding over the years.

Don’t take on jobs at poor rates where you’ve got to bust a gut in 6th gear to make it worthwhile. If you need a second body, factor the wages in to your quotations. 

Likewise, if you’re driving round like a lunatic at 50mph because you’re over booked, then you probably aren’t charging enough and you put every other road user and pedestrians at risk. 

The phone doesn’t have to be answered now, especially when driving! 

I can’t stress enough how important safety is.

I just hope this reminds people to be sensible. Often there is no second chance where any kind of accident is concerned. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points to remember for sure.

I'll also like to mention the benefit of hi-vis gear.

I have quite a few jobs where I either walk around in a parking lot or into the road itself. Getting a traffic cone, vest and some hi-vis trousers is the best thing I've done. People in cars have so much more respect for you when you are proper visible.

Yes, you might think you look a bit silly. But better silly than dead on my book.

Good points to remember for sure.

I'll also like to mention the benefit of hi-vis gear.

I have quite a few jobs where I either walk around in a parking lot or into the road itself. Getting a traffic cone, vest and some hi-vis trousers is the best thing I've done. People in cars have so much more respect for you when you are proper visible.

Yes, you might think you look a bit silly. But better silly than dead on my book.
Yup, i wear hi vis on dark & gloomy days

Also i would like to add, dont go down big sliding chutes when playing with your 6 year old, as you might do an emergency stop at the bottom n injure your leg like i did. Risk assess everything n you will survive not only work but civilian life as well:) 

Back