Ana

Removing pole sections?

Iron Giant

Personally if you don't need a lighter pole for any reason then just buy an SLX, I have used my Xtreme as my daily for over 3 and a half years because of shoulder issues which I now don't have. @Pjj you're supposed to flush them out every week 🤪 as it's the internal wear that's the killer and the cause for snapped sections when they snap at the top I had a number #3 full carbon section last over 2 years I would say the first section likely to snap is number #2 

@steve garwood it would only take you an extra 5 minutes on each pole every month to replace the over-lap tape and spray with PTFE, I am o.c.d and flush mine out weekly as advised but also spray each section with PTFE spray and replace the tape as and when needed which at times can be every month 

Nudel
6 hours ago, Algie said:

Im struggling to believe it gets any better than a SLX 18.

Are the extreme poles really that good ?

Yes.

Pjj
7 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

Personally if you don't need a lighter pole for any reason then just buy an SLX, I have used my Xtreme as my daily for over 3 and a half years because of shoulder issues which I now don't have. @Pjj you're supposed to flush them out every week 🤪 as it's the internal wear that's the killer and the cause for snapped sections when they snap at the top I had a number #3 full carbon section last over 2 years I would say the first section likely to snap is number #2 

@steve garwood it would only take you an extra 5 minutes on each pole every month to replace the over-lap tape and spray with PTFE, I am o.c.d and flush mine out weekly as advised but also spray each section with PTFE spray and replace the tape as and when needed which at times can be every month 

Yes you are right they should be maintained. I struggle to find the time to be honest ,and when I have the time I cannot be bothered 😬😬 my top section is sealed as I have converted it to hoseless I think it snapped as it’s oviously the weakest section due to its size , I do clean them out occasionally, if it’s obvious that there is grit in it I will do it but generaly don’t , I do replace the stop tape  probably done that a couple of times in 3 years , so not enough , I know I don’t maintain them as often as I should but to be fair I think they last quite well considering the work they do , and question if it would extend the pole life by much ?? Once the pole gets worn badly I just replace them , I find they ware worst when collapsed and you have to tighten the clamp to stop it spinning then the clamp is done up to tight to extend the pole .

is the extream better than an slx yes it is lighter and stiffer, but it’s also more delicate, like all things it’s a personal choice and whilst I don’t like what they cost they are expensive, when you look at how much money that pole has earnt me I suppose I cannot compline , I will more than likely buy another one when this one is worn out