Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning in Winter

Liam562

So I keep hearing “window cleaning is seasonal” “no one wants their windows done in the rain or winter”

i was was just wondering what you guys did when it comes to the winter months?

do you carry on as normal? 

Any other winter pointers?

Hi Liam, 

Not sure where you are hearing that comment but they all want it done throughout the year down here. Windows get dirtier in the winter with all the muck flying about. It's an all year round job, make no mistake my friend. Seasonal windies are often those looking for a bit of holiday cash but the serious window cleaner treats it as his sole income and works all year round 

So I keep hearing “window cleaning is seasonal” “no one wants their windows done in the rain or winter”

Same as above, I work all year round. The only thing that stops play is the ice but that only comes for a week or so at a time so not a problem. 

Just 2 points Liam.

1. If your water freezes on impact, time to go home. If not, work right through winter.

2. You shouldn’t start a sentence with ‘so’. ?

If there is a constant several negative degrees Celsius in winter, yes it's a seasonal job. The northern part of Norway is one place where window cleaning is seasonal.

If it's the odd day, no problem cleaning in winter.

Work all year no matter the weather, just keep an eye on the water is all and watch ya step when there is ice on the floor.... slipping over with a WFP isn't recommended.

My customers have their windows cleaned 12 months of the year; why wouldn't they? 

And a very important pointer for you: don't eat yellow snow!

Window cleaning is our full time job we work 12 months of the year if customers want seasonal work then we are not the company for them I emphasise that we work all year and in all weathers within reason , if they hesitate or don’t want that I walk away , we very rarely get messers or ones saying leave it till the spring as I have dumped these ones over the years and have a good solid customer base . 

The only time I don't clean windows is in really strong winds and very heavy rain, and I mean very heavy. On the very odd occasion when it is - 3 and below as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather is a good tool for refining customers, you will get customers that don’t want it cleaned in the rain and that’s helpful really as they are the first to go when your round is established. So you will meet opposition to cleaning in certain weather but it’s a tool for culling a new round to a well organised, reliable well paid round. It takes time to get a cream round of well trained customer. Work all year round canvas and replace as necessary.

The only time I don't clean windows is in really strong winds and very heavy rain, and I mean very heavy. On the very odd occasion when it is - 3 and below as well. 

Same hear, wind is more of a limiting factor than rain , it’s not pleasant working in rain but commercial work is done on the booked date in any rain within reason , just get on with it and finish the job ???

Windows do indeed get dirtier in the winter. If you’re building rounds Its a good idea to try and plan for a 7 hour day (finished by 3pm) so that in the winter when it gets dark at 3 you dont end up with the problem of having to split it. I think our largest round initially had over 30 houses on it and it wasnt a particularly compact day either. I ended up splitting the rounds to two short days as i got caught out in the dark with about 6 houses to go (one of those days where EVERYONE wanted the back done) but they’ve both grown again so now both have around 17-20 houses. 

In the summer you can always bang a first clean on the end of the day or a gutter clearance, but if you aim to be done on the round by 3 then it will save you the hassle above once the clocks go back. 

Traffic always kicks in after 3pm as well so the less driving you can do after the school run the better, your hourly rate will drop massively just because of being stuck in traffic

Weather is a good tool for refining customers, you will get customers that don’t want it cleaned in the rain and that’s helpful really as they are the first to go when your round is established. So you will meet opposition to cleaning in certain weather but it’s a tool for culling a new round to a well organised, reliable well paid round. It takes time to get a cream round of well trained customer. Work all year round canvas and replace as necessary.

Totaly agree none of my customers complain about working in rain as I point out when quoting work we work in all weather all year round , if they hesitate I suggest they find someone else , any who say not today get instant dump unless there is a genuine reason , like building work going on etc 

Totaly agree none of my customers complain about working in rain as I point out when quoting work we work in all weather all year round , if they hesitate I suggest they find someone else , any who say not today get instant dump unless there is a genuine reason , like building work going on etc 
Yeah we’ve got two or 3 with long term scaffolding up or skips in the driveway, we’d rather not be around when all thats going on. They all let us know in advance and theres nothing you can do about it ?

Back