Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rogue traders- Roof Clean

RWCleaning

Used to love this program. Don’t remember this episode though. ‘Roof cleaning & biocide’

C’mon is it one of you lot on here? lol 

Lol what a pair of cowboys ??? who would get them to do a job on there house , the muinit  they turned up in a car should have sat alarm bells ringing 

The way they are dressed would be alarm bells to me.
Yes looked like a right pair of jack the lads , the muinit they set foot on my property they would have been told to leave in no uncertain terms , I cannot understand why anyone would employ them to be honest just looking at them it’s clear to see they are dodgy !!!! 

Probably  got business because they were so cheap. 

Exactly I wouldn’t have cleaned that roof fir that price ,roof ,drive way etc would have been £1000-1200  , not interested for anything less , and we would be using fall arrest not just walking all over that roof , right cowboys , Ime surprised they didn’t report them to the health and safety executive that would have resulted in a heafty fine , plenty of video evidence to convict them 

I dont think they’re even wearing waterproofs are they? Pretty poor show all round.

I can’t judge people by how they look though. Yeah showing up in a car with a little electric thing doesn’t exactly look convincing.

I know roofers (not cleaners) who are subbies/employees, some of them are proper old timers from the valleys, look Pretty rough, half their teeth missing or not in the best condition, love a good drink & a laugh outside work, show up in their cars and plain clothes to jobs, smoke rollies one after the other quite happy to work ciggie in mouth, and they’re some of the best around at what they do, been at it since they were 16 & in their 40’s or 50’s now. 

On the contrast i know companies that look like the most professional outfits, clean cut guys with tidy haircuts, sign written vans and uniforms etc who’s work & reputation isn’t so good, & i wouldn't want working for my family. 

I show up to do quotes in plain clothes half the time, (i usually quote in evenings so work clothes are in the wash) and i don’t exactly have expensive tastes when it comes to clothing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting about the roofs getting small leaks after someone walks around on their roof blasting away with a pressure washer. 

Ive personally never done it and wasn’t planning too, but I know some insist it’s fine. Just some food for thought. 

Interesting about the roofs getting small leaks after someone walks around on their roof blasting away with a pressure washer. 

Ive personally never done it and wasn’t planning too, but I know some insist it’s fine. Just some food for thought. 
Mate this is one of the reasons why i’m hesitant to start cleaning roofs even if we were equipped. 

Chances are with a lot of people they may already have a leak and don’t know about it, then when they go up to the attic to inspect they suddenly find it. 

Also there are people out there who know they’ve got a leak or dodgey roof but won’t tell you! How would you ever know ?‍♂️ One minute you show up to clean the thing next thing you know you’ve got a major issue on your hands. 

My parents had a few leaks in the kitchen roof & have recently replaced it. the builders said when the roofs first went on it wasn't even common procedure to put roofing felt on ? as it didnt have any. It was also missing lead flashings and a lead ridge. It’s “just the way it was done” back then apparently. Which is why every time the tiles were compromised they had a leak. 

Without an extensive roofing knowledge it’s too big a gamble for me to be comfortable with

Mate this is one of the reasons why i’m hesitant to start cleaning roofs even if we were equipped. 

Chances are with a lot of people they may already have a leak and don’t know about it, then when they go up to the attic to inspect they suddenly find it. 

Also there are people out there who know they’ve got a leak or dodgey roof but won’t tell you! How would you ever know ?‍♂️ One minute you show up to clean the thing next thing you know you’ve got a major issue on your hands. 

My parents had a few leaks in the kitchen roof & have recently replaced it. the builders said when the roofs first went on it wasn't even common procedure to put roofing felt on ? as it didnt have any. It was also missing lead flashings and a lead ridge. It’s “just the way it was done” back then apparently. Which is why every time the tiles were compromised they had a leak. 

Without an extensive roofing knowledge it’s too big a gamble for me to be comfortable with
This video has put me off roof cleaning. I know these two were pillocks who weren't very good but I reckon they started out intending to do a good job. They're not making much money, especially if you factor in the amount of pressure washers they would get through. They probably intended to pressure wash and biocide each roof but then realised they wouldn't make anything once they bought the chemicals so started to cut corners. I'm not defending them, just trying to look for a timeline of events. They clearly have the IQ of 4 year olds. 

The point i'm getting at is they may not be responsible for the leaks they are being linked to. If you know what you're doing on a roof regarding tile replacement then you may be fine. As you suggest though, if you don't then you could end up in trouble. It all seems like a lot of effort and I could probably make as much cleaning windows with my feet firmly on the ground I reckon.

When you look at the prosecutions/charges brought against him, the main concerns are nothing to do with the standard of work, more the safety aspects (lack of scaffolding) and this is a bungalow we’re talking about now

so it kind of sends a message to anyone thinking of cleaning a roof without a scaffold in place...think twice.

plenty on youtube doing it so how it’s one rule for one & one rule for another i dont know ?

employers liability yeah well he was clearly dodging it there if he had an ounce of sense he should have had it in place.

When you look at the prosecutions/charges brought against him, the main concerns are nothing to do with the standard of work, more the safety aspects (lack of scaffolding) and this is a bungalow we’re talking about now

so it kind of sends a message to anyone thinking of cleaning a roof without a scaffold in place...think twice.

plenty on youtube doing it so how it’s one rule for one & one rule for another i dont know ?

employers liability yeah well he was clearly dodging it there if he had an ounce of sense he should have had it in place.
The guys i've watched on YouTube don't go wandering on the roof mate. I think this is where his issue lies. Scottish hasn't responded to this thread but you will have seen the other roof cleaning thread where he posted some pictures of a jet wash job. It looks the mutts but may not be so great when you get into the nitty gritty of things like they have done in this video. I think the key thing is to jet wash you need to work above and down otherwise you would be blowing mess back under the tiles. To scrape and spray you can work below pulling towards you.

I was very surprised the surveyor they had on didn't point out the potential hazards of jet washing. The whole thing just seems like a poisoned chalice to me. A customer of mine had his roof cleaned by a local firm, £350 and another £240 to repoint the ridge and change a couple of tiles. As i'm not in a position to change tiles (nor do I want to) I wouldn't be able to compete with that. They had lads on roof ladders, 3 of them managed 2 houses per day he said.

I think they were just drinking partners who wanted to work for themselves but were too stupid to actually do it. Daz was clearly the ''brains'' of the outfit. They were registered as a limited company but looking at the prices they were charging and the expenses they had like pressure washers I can't imagine they needed to. He crosses me as someone who has googled ''How to register a company'' and just done it. They had a compulsory strike off which supports this theory.

I think they were just drinking partners who wanted to work for themselves but were too stupid to actually do it. Daz was clearly the ''brains'' of the outfit. They were registered as a limited company but looking at the prices they were charging and the expenses they had like pressure washers I can't imagine they needed to. He crosses me as someone who has googled ''How to register a company'' and just done it. They had a compulsory strike off which supports this theory.

Lol if he’s the brains if the outfit I would hate to see the ameba , they were both a pair of knuckle dragging Neanderthals ???? 

Latest Posts

Back