Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upto 50 customers

HWCS

Saw a gap in the market where i live for a traditional window cleaner, only really water fed broom cleaners local with exception of 1 bloke who seems to only do shops.

So 15th March i went vista print, 1000 flyers and 250 business cards, 16th March went into city and bought 3 squeegees, a bucket, a set of ladders, roof rack, clamps, applicator, various cloths.

March 22/23 went flyer dropping and run out of flyers, so back to vista print for another 5000 flyers.

March 25th did my first customer and EVERY DAY since has been 2-3-4-5+ calls a day booking me to clean.

Still working full time as a baker at moment and doing windows evenings and weekends. But last week just 3weeks after taking a punt on windows ive had to speak to my boss whose agreed from 28th April i can work mon-tue-wed and do windows thur-fri-sat & sun if needed, from 1st june i am quiting fully to do windows.

Last week i discovered WCW and kitted myself out as the other stuff wasnt cutting the mustard, but new complete kit from Ungers S range has me cleaning windows quicker already.

God knows why i didnt do it sooner.

Only advice i really need is on which cloths are best to use for. Detailing, wiping frames etc etc

Currently sitting on a client base of 50ish

My prices ive been told by a few ppl are to cheap opinions would be gladly recieved.

Bungalows from £5.00

Terrace Houses from £8.00

Semi Detatched Houses from £10.00 Detatched Houses from £10.00

But my overheads are minimal really, ive spent maybe £700 setting up including insurance 

£5 for a bungalow? £8 for a semi?  

Time to start a riot.  £12.50 min for a bungalow. £15 min for a 3 bed semi.  

Your prices are 10 years ago. REGARDLESS of where you are in the country. 
Thats prices from not actual prices, some bungalows here have 1 window front a sold door 2 windows at back and a solid door, £5 for 3 windows surely is about right?

Before I switched to WFP about 14 years ago, I was doing work traditionally in a very poor area and making £15 - £20 per hour. I bought the round and kept the prices as they were for a while.

The prices were £4 for bungalows, £5-6 for 2-3 bed semis and £4 for terraced. And I think they had been those prices for years as the guy I bought them from bought them from another guy 3 years earlier and didn't raise the prices in that time and he said the previous guy said he hadn't put them up for ages.

So they're probably at least a quarter century old prices.

Using the bank of England's inflation calculator those prices should be double by now. So £10 bungalows and £12 semis. That's on compact work in a poor area so add a few quid extra for spaced out work.

I don't have that work anymore, but those prices on that work will not now today be the prices they should be I can almost guarantee it. The guy I sold it to may have put them up a pound or two.

Customers often don't realise that with the passing of time and inflation that they are getting the windows cheaper each year and would balk at paying £12 when they were paying £6 25 years ago that had the same value.

Unless we keep up with the current market rates, window cleaning work will just get less and less value and in effect we'll be getting less for the work than we used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your prices up - otherwise you'll be working flat out for not a lot of financial reward. People will always pay a premium for quality work and reliablity. Look around on this forum and see what others are charging, and you will be surprised what people will pay for a good service. ??

Another thing that will affect your prices is how good a job you do?

Obviously you'll wipe the sills but do you include the frames and doors as standard? Not saying you necessarily have to as a trad windy, but if you don't, you won't be able to charge as much.

You mentioned above about which cloths for detailing. I always use large scrims for wiping around the edges and detailing and a smaller microfiber for sills and frames. Scrims are great when you've worn them in, but they are not as good when you first buy them- even if they say they're pre-washed.

So I use a scrim as a sill cloth and wash it regularly until it's better to use on the glass. Microfibers are good also but they get wet quickly and you need to change them more often as they only work when they're completely dry. Scrims will still dry the glass if they are slightly damp. A slightly damp microfiber will wet the glass.

Charge enough. You'll get a good idea of what the prices should be, first of all from reading the forum, and then with time and your own experience. Aim to steadily increase the prices over time, always by more than inflation but not by enough to make customers unhappy. I put them up slightly every couple of years, telling customers I need to increase the price slightly to keep pace with inflation, "if it's alright with you". And that I'll aim to hold the new price for at least two years. Rarely have a problem. Bear in mind that the days of working for the price of a pint, a pasty and a flutter on the horses are, or should be long gone. Don't be a busy fool. Most of our customers either do, or have worked, and were, or are paid a living wage or salary for it. Why shouldn't we have a decent living wage. Keep that in mind. I have no problem telling them that if they kick up. 

Bit of a lecture from me. I'm sorry for that. Just trying to look after one of our own. ? 

Thats prices from not actual prices, some bungalows here have 1 window front a sold door 2 windows at back and a solid door, £5 for 3 windows surely is about right?

No the prices I have told you above should be your starting prices. If I was charging your prices around Nottingham I would be getting 50 new customers every couple of days. 

Honestly you are too cheap.  Round building is mostly what I do all day long you may not know me from Adam but I can promise you as lads on this forum will agree with me you are far too cheap right now.

No the prices I have told you above should be your starting prices. If I was charging your prices around Nottingham I would be getting 50 new customers every couple of days. 

Honestly you are too cheap.  Round building is mostly what I do all day long you may not know me from Adam but I can promise you as lads on this forum will agree with me you are far too cheap right now.
All advice taken on board mate, im gonna quote a tad higher from now on, not much but think i can comfortably put a cpl quid on here n there.

Just dont want some people thinking im taking the **** when charging neighours with similar gaffs less because i quoted to cheap at the outset.

Yes, far too cheap, that's what we're saying. The biggest problem is breaking the fear and having the confidence and courage to start charging the right sort of prices. Once you cross that difficulty, it will start to become easier. ?

Thought I would chip in here I know on the whole that after 19 years some of my jobs are underpriced based on averages across the UK, but within my locality, for compact work, I also know I am the most expensive windy in my area and I reiterate my area I know this, despite talking to lads who have isolated work at higher prices which I also have but also I have been undercut in recent months.

Now what the general public is willing to accept is higher prices on things other than window cleaning, so for example, over the last 8-9 years my energy prices per month have increased by around  £25 a month my grocery bill has increased by around £70 a month this is based on a similar consumption and purchases across the board equaling £100 a month, £1,200 a year and yet some don't like a £1 increase every 2-3 years as they consider us to be performing a menial job and have always historically always paid low prices.

I have made the decision this year to increase my prices every year by £0.50 on every job for the foreseeable future although some have already seen higher increases already this year so will not see an increase until next year, now some may see this as too low but if you have 300 jobs on a 4 weekly basis this is an increase of £175 a month, £1,925 a year based on 11 cleans per year but could be more depending on holidays and weather, the vast majority of manual workers won't see this level of wage increase for some years so all in all not bad I don't think 

Saw a gap in the market where i live for a traditional window cleaner, only really water fed broom cleaners local with exception of 1 bloke who seems to only do shops.

So 15th March i went vista print, 1000 flyers and 250 business cards, 16th March went into city and bought 3 squeegees, a bucket, a set of ladders, roof rack, clamps, applicator, various cloths.

March 22/23 went flyer dropping and run out of flyers, so back to vista print for another 5000 flyers.

March 25th did my first customer and EVERY DAY since has been 2-3-4-5+ calls a day booking me to clean.

Still working full time as a baker at moment and doing windows evenings and weekends. But last week just 3weeks after taking a punt on windows ive had to speak to my boss whose agreed from 28th April i can work mon-tue-wed and do windows thur-fri-sat & sun if needed, from 1st june i am quiting fully to do windows.

Last week i discovered WCW and kitted myself out as the other stuff wasnt cutting the mustard, but new complete kit from Ungers S range has me cleaning windows quicker already.

God knows why i didnt do it sooner.

Only advice i really need is on which cloths are best to use for. Detailing, wiping frames etc etc

Currently sitting on a client base of 50ish

My prices ive been told by a few ppl are to cheap opinions would be gladly recieved.

Bungalows from £5.00

Terrace Houses from £8.00

Semi Detatched Houses from £10.00 Detatched Houses from £10.00

But my overheads are minimal really, ive spent maybe £700 setting up including insurance 
Well done on the start up?

Them prices sound very similar to a lot of my prices. Too many house variations for exacts but not far off. I wouldn’t worry too much about individual prices if I was you. It’s your turnover or hourly rate that I’d be looking at. I’ve heard of people charging £20+ for tiny semis but only managing one maybe two per hour. As long as I’m doing £50+ an hour on domestics I’m happy and closer to £100 per hour on my commercials. 

Yep, I G. It's not easy but if we don't increase prices over time, we will fall by the wayside. Steady does it, I reckon. ? 

Like lads in my area who are charging less than £10 for a 4 bed detached house with a conservatory but have been in business up to and over 20 years 

?

Davy G said:
In business maybe, mate. But I doubt if they're prospering. I don't want to just survive in business. I want to thrive, and I want all you guys to thrive as well. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like lads in my area who are charging less than £10 for a 4 bed detached house with a conservatory but have been in business up to and over 20 years 
There’s still a few of them around here. Thing is they are probably earning more than us as they have an army of cash in hand workers and probs pay hardly any if any at all tax!!!

Well done on the start up?

Them prices sound very similar to a lot of my prices. Too many house variations for exacts but not far off. I wouldn’t worry too much about individual prices if I was you. It’s your turnover or hourly rate that I’d be looking at. I’ve heard of people charging £20+ for tiny semis but only managing one maybe two per hour. As long as I’m doing £50+ an hour on domestics I’m happy and closer to £100 per hour on my commercials. 
50 an hr on your own?400 per day what am I doing wrong lol

Back