Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Questions from a noob

HWCS

How often should i be changing rubber?

What cloths are best?

Pensioner discounts good or bad?

Is a scrim just a chamoix leather?

Best cloth for detailing?

Is straight pull technique realy that much slower than fanning?

Frame wiping for free or extra?

Does frame wipe include sills?

What cloths are best?

You’ll know when the rubber needs changing as it starts leaving lines as you blade the water off.sometimes one side will last a week other times over a month, then just use the other side. Wooden frames where the paints flaking off needs more care. I don’t do special rates for pensioners but it’s up to u. Buy a few pre washed scrims but wash them yourself a couple of times as they need breaking in a bit. Don’t blade the windows from top to bottom straight down or you’ll be wiping a line of suds off the middle of every window u clean. As for the frames I only clean them if they ask, so if I’m doing a £10 house & they ask for the frames to be cleaned I’ll charge £20 with the glass. Then if they have the frames done every time after that I’d charge £15 as they’ll only need a quick wipe with a leather. I always clean the sills as you’ll be leaving water all over them, a dish cloth will do for that lol. If u have the funds I’d go straight into wfp tbh, quicker & safer etc....I’m changing over “eventually”. Good luck ??

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll know when the rubber needs changing as it starts leaving lines as you blade the water off.sometimes one side will last a week other times over a month, then just use the other side. Wooden frames where the paints flaking off needs more care. I don’t do special rates for pensioners but it’s up to u. Buy a few pre washed scrims but wash them yourself a couple of times as they need breaking in a bit. Don’t blade the windows from top to bottom straight down or you’ll be wiping a line of suds off every window u clean. As the the frames I only clean them if they ask, so if I’m doing a £10 house & they ask for the frames to be cleaned I’ll charge £20 with the glass. Then if they have the frames done every time after that I’d charge £15 as they’ll only need a quick wipe with a leather. I always clean the sills as you’ll be leaving water all over them, a dish cloth will do for that lol. If u have the funds I’d go straight into wfp tbh, quicker & safer etc....I’m changing over “eventually”. Good luck ??
Cheers for that mate. 

Got my scrims and MFs today, stuck the scrims in a 60degree wash with a tiny bit of fairy is that acceptable to 'break them in'?

Got my scrims and MFs today, stuck the scrims in a 60degree wash with a tiny bit of fairy is that acceptable to 'break them in'?
Yea I just stick mine in the washing machine 2 or 3 times. If u haven’t brought a round, to get work I’d knock doors & sell yourself a bit to the potential customers. Leaflets are a waste of time!

What cloths are best?

1.When leaves lines,2. Scrim,3. Personal Choice,4. No,5. Scrim,6. Yes,7. Wipe,8. Yes,9

I'd always use thicker microfibre for frames and sills,, I've just got Mr siga from amazon, they're also great for leaded windows! And I've always used a microfibre for detailing if there is any (depends if you use liquidator) but not as thick, like a car polishing microfibre, way better than the scrim which we used to use. 

Can use oap discounts but now I probably wouldn't. 

Sometimes straight pulls are better but mostly fanning, thinner windows sometimes are better doing a technique from trad man or polz and bladz. I always give a quick wipe to the frames but a full clean is extra. 

I'd always use thicker microfibre for frames and sills,, I've just got Mr siga from amazon, they're also great for leaded windows! And I've always used a microfibre for detailing if there is any (depends if you use liquidator) but not as thick, like a car polishing microfibre, way better than the scrim which we used to use. 

Can use oap discounts but now I probably wouldn't. 

Sometimes straight pulls are better but mostly fanning, thinner windows sometimes are better doing a technique from trad man or polz and bladz. I always give a quick wipe to the frames but a full clean is extra. 
Leaded windows was my next question tbf

Ive just done a bungalow this evening, i used my unger applicator then squeeged with a cheapo BnM squeegee, then used 2 microfibres, one to remove little bikt of excess then one to buff.

Seemed to work well and quite quick, was this about right or is there a better way?

That's exactly how I do the m, they're a bit of a pain tbh but sometimes with a damp cloth and if the windows are quite clean they work straight away but to be safe I'd carry on doing what you did today 

That's exactly how I do the m, they're a bit of a pain tbh but sometimes with a damp cloth and if the windows are quite clean they work straight away but to be safe I'd carry on doing what you did today 
Cheers mark, ive got a cpl of lengths of homebase rubber that ill use for them windows, the old folks round here love a lead lined window and the only other window cleaner in the area wont entertain them.

yh they are annoying but the way you do them if easiest and ends up quickest, id add a bit extra to the price especially if no one else wants them you will clear up 

For leaded I use applicator as normal, then squeegee off excess with a old squeegee with razr red rubber(so any small nicks doesnt matter). wipe excess with microfibre, then buff almost dry window with scrim. Secret is getting as much of remaining solution off with the microfibre so the scrim stays dry.

Yea I just stick mine in the washing machine 2 or 3 times. If u haven’t brought a round, to get work I’d knock doors & sell yourself a bit to the potential customers. Leaflets are a waste of time!
Built my round up mainly by putting business cards through letterboxes. 

Got a load from vista print, that was about 8 years ago now. 

So, it worked for me. 

I just use micro fibre cloths, but don't detail much as I use moerman liquidator. 

On wooden frames and leaded glass I use razr red rubber in a s plus channel. Razr rubber is pretty indestructible. 

On plastic frames I use soft rubber. 

Check out YouTube vids for techniques, especially minimal move techniques. This will not only make you faster, but will be easier on your joints. 

Buy a good belt, as you will be wearing it a lot, and you don't want it to be uncomfortable. 

I endured the ninja belt for years, god knows why, as its not fit for purpose. 

Latest Posts

Back