Pressurewasher

Which surfactant?

Pressurewasher

Hi im about to do my first patio job using hypo, which surfactant would you recomend using with it?

im a total novice but reading up as much as i can take in 😬

Would this one do? Any cheaper slternatives?

thank you ever so much, you guys on this forum have been a massive help!!

image.jpeg

image.png

Pjj

Yes that will work ok , you don’t have to use it on flat surfaces though , surfactant is designed to stick the hypo to walls to slow down run off on a patio it won’t run off as it’s flat , make sure you wet the slabs well with water then apply your hypo mix , you can use surfactant with it if you want but don’t have to on patios , 

Pressurewasher
4 hours ago, Pjj said:

Yes that will work ok , you don’t have to use it on flat surfaces though , surfactant is designed to stick the hypo to walls to slow down run off on a patio it won’t run off as it’s flat , make sure you wet the slabs well with water then apply your hypo mix , you can use surfactant with it if you want but don’t have to on patios , 

Cheers pjj awesome info, saves me a few quid this time around 

Dennis Taylor

I use Evans Kind, a mild detergent that helps it to stick and stay put, but doesn’t cause too much froth when it comes to washing off.

Pressurewasher
On 15 April 2019 at 15:59, Dennis Taylor said:

I use Evans Kind, a mild detergent that helps it to stick and stay put, but doesn’t cause too much froth when it comes to washing off.

Got a link for that stuff by any chance dennis? Thanks

Dennis Taylor

eBay is as good as anywhere to get it, just search Evans Kind and if you buy several 5lts containers at a time the price is pretty good. I Add about a 1/4 litre per 25lts of hypo mixed to whatever percentage you intend to use, usually 3 - 5%.

mix it just before you intend to use it or the hypo will kill it.

Dennis

kevinc250
1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

eBay is as good as anywhere to get it, just search Evans Kind and if you buy several 5lts containers at a time the price is pretty good. I Add about a 1/4 litre per 25lts of hypo mixed to whatever percentage you intend to use, usually 3 - 5%.

mix it just before you intend to use it or the hypo will kill it.

Dennis

that's got two quats in that blend of surfactants and has the wrong ph for hypo .

the hypo doesn't kill by a long way your just using the wrong one

try lauryl oxide or sodium laureth sulphate as these two are the most suitable

tench0771

clever wash works well as surfactant makes a huge difference on render compaired to no surfactant as for adding it when doing paving you may be chucking money down the drain 

Incheck

I have been thinking for some time, and have decided i’m sticking to the official routes. 

I’ve tried and tested benz products, they work well and are officially approved by the HSE.

another product i have made enquiries about is safewash.

This is only a personal choice of course, but i have been thinking, if i were to make my own mix with standard hypo, and something were to go wrong, it would probably invalidate any insurance. 

As a newcomer to softwashing, i want to play by the book. 

Others who’ve been at it for years and have the necessary experience may do things their way. I’ve had sound advice from many good people and i thank Kev & pjj in particular for their perspectives on things.