Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Damaged roof tile

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ciaran mcveigh

Did a gutter empty last week and the guy working with me apparently broke a tile on a flat roof extension which I wasn't aware of until the customer rang to tell me.I have told her I will replace the tile and will call for payment for the empty which is £35 what more can I do??

Tell her that you have given your staff member a verbal warning that he should report damage he has caused,  to his supervisor when it has happened.  He has been told not  to walk off the job and keep that to himself. Explain he has made your company look unprofessional in doing what he did and that is not how you operate. Ask them if they are happy with that outcome.

That's what I would say...

This is the problem I.e. your blamed for something already there before you started. 

I had one a few weeks back. Can you pressure wash my decking.. When I got there I moved a plant pot and there was a big hole in it rotten wood.

I went and got the owner showed him it and told him I will leave that area to cover myself. 

You were doing it a bit cheap.. I no I haven't seen the house...

Sod doing it for free. You gotta pay that guy a wage and yourself. 

Just tell them jobs done, damage repaired staff member reprimanded. Here is the bill.

Currently in Gosport and my worker has walked on 63 flat roofs in the last 2 days and not broken one. Firstly if you've been paid, ask for proof, secondly, if she sends you a photo reply that's not proof and give her your Insurance Company details. 

Hard to work out chancers, but she's a chancer. 

Just saw you haven't been paid yet, bad move. Ignore second sentence, rest still applies. 

Forgive me but i thought a flat roof is usually felt covered, not tiles? I never walk on any tiles as if they have existing cracks or leaks i can confidently say i haven’t been on them

It's not flat slight dip but easy to walk up the side as I said before my guy said he didnt break a tile to his knowledge but my mistake was not looking for myself 

You should go back and have a look yourself, you will be able to tell if its clean break or has been like that for years, is the roofer someone you know or someone they are getting themselves?

Roofer said break looked fresh and fixed it £20 as said so told customer all sorted sorry for hassle will call fri fir the £35 for gutter empty she paid me reluctantly and said dont do the windows anymore her husband will do them?cant win

So she had a decent window cleaner who has the integrity to organise and pay for some damage (that there was no proof was was theirs) then cancels you!

You'd think this would be the kind of situation that shows the customer that you are a professional who can be trusted.

So she had a decent window cleaner who has the integrity to organise and pay for some damage (that there was no proof was was theirs) then cancels you!

You'd think this would be the kind of situation that shows the customer that you are a professional who can be trusted.

If it were me I'd write the customer a letter explaining the above. The damage has been paid for and corrected but that doesn't mean you are going to write off your normal fee - where does that end? - free cleaning for the year, decade, life? No!

The damage got sorted. Many other windys wouldn't bother and as most custys only have a phone number they're left high and dry. A good one that sorts their errors doesn't deserve to be dumped. Put it all in writing and see what happens.

Latest Posts

Back