Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Suns out and so are the chancers

BigFoot

I was tagged into a post looking for a window cleaner and I could not believe what I was reading!

I’m sure this chap is taking the leap for all the right reasons but the execution is awful!

i might just sub out my work to him and retire...

882E47AA-BF54-4ECD-B1F3-72687273ECEE.jpeg

IF he's wiping the frames over then he must be trad and using ladders. Good luck to him making any money with those prices and timescales.
Feel sorry for and frustrated with how misguided he is at the same time. Would love to point him in the right direction but experience has shown that people think they know best regardless of advice. You have got to want to change in order to change.

I had one the other day virtually brand new 4 bed executive detached property. She had been paying £7 and the now hes disappeared. I quoted her what I charge the same house directly across the road. She nearly had heart failure.. She said can you include the double garage door, its surround and the rear garage no. I said no house windows only.... I wont be working for her. I see this a lot on this particular new build estate, all been paying extremely low rates... No money in it for the window cleaner and that's why he has gone.. Either got a job or hes learned to price correctly to make an income...

I was tagged into a post looking for a window cleaner and I could not believe what I was reading!

I’m sure this chap is taking the leap for all the right reasons but the execution is awful!

i might just sub out my work to him and retire...

View attachment 16256
Ha ha she (well you'd hope it was a she) sounds desperate, kisses as well. But ive heard that before 'you'd get loads of customers here' and nothing, so doesnt always happen like they think.

I think we’ve all learned the hard way at some point or other. Reality kicked in for us at 6 months when we were basically on the verge of going bust. Drastically raised prices, by 50% for new customers, immediately.

then made another mistake by not raising prices for 3 years. They have gone up the last two Aprils and will be doing so for all consecutive aprils.

I dont want to be in that position again.

most newbies are gone after 18 months 

I think we’ve all learned the hard way at some point or other. Reality kicked in for us at 6 months when we were basically on the verge of going bust. Drastically raised prices, by 50% for new customers, immediately.

then made another mistake by not raising prices for 3 years. They have gone up the last two Aprils and will be doing so for all consecutive aprils.

I dont want to be in that position again.

most newbies are gone after 18 months 
yes i guess thats the tricky bit often, after 18 months and tax is due. Ive only been going 18 months and now due to fill in 2nd  return, though they give till end of the year I think to do it? Didnt pay any first return, as didnt have enough custom and the equipment cost a good wad. Should owe some this time, but I dont see why they give you till the end of the year to give them your details, dont seem good policy really. Yet conversely down the line they want tax upfront so seems a bit conflicting really. Still doing a part time paye job too. Best get it sent asap I reckon. 

Yep, your right I think, if serious, gotta hold your nerve and outlast the cheap poachers and it should work out.

yes i guess thats the tricky bit often, after 18 months and tax is due. Ive only been going 18 months and now due to fill in 2nd  return, though they give till end of the year I think to do it? Didnt pay any first return, as didnt have enough custom and the equipment cost a good wad. Should owe some this time, but I dont see why they give you till the end of the year to give them your details, dont seem good policy really. Yet conversely down the line they want tax upfront so seems a bit conflicting really. Still doing a part time paye job too. Best get it sent asap I reckon. 

Yep, your right I think, if serious, gotta hold your nerve and outlast the cheap poachers and it should work out.
If you do everything the old way (on paper) like i do, i think it has to be submitted by october, if you submit your accounts digitally, maybe december sometime? And the payment deadline is like Janurary? Dont hold me to this but i just do it asap while the busy season is in full flight, i submit accounts to accountant in april & pay the bill in like may or June, that way i know i’m not paying tax in the winter when moneys tighter

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's in and tax calculated, if you keep well on top of your paperwork then you'll be running a tighter ship and know where you stand and can therefore plan your finances. Most new companies fail because of cash flow, the majority of these is because they have no idea of where they stand. 

The taxman doesn't want his money upfront, my tax year is the standardised tax year April to April my accounts go straight into my accountant on the 6th or as near as and within a week I know what I will be paying the coming January and then the July, based on what your profit is you should have some idea what your tax liability is going to be, 8 months ago I knew I was potentially going to have a big tax bill so I had a chat with my accountant and started saving quite a bit more money each month to get me ahead for this year and next, it's all about planning ahead 

Ha ha she (well you'd hope it was a she) sounds desperate, kisses as well. But ive heard that before 'you'd get loads of customers here' and nothing, so doesnt always happen like they think.
As soon as you see ''Like I said'' anywhere in an open message you know the kind of person you're dealing with. It's naturally quite a rude thing to say, most people probably don't even use that. As for the kisses at the end I imagine she was sat on an old broken chair out the front of her house writing that, a roll up in the other hand, still wearing her dressing gown and shouting at some kid to ''F**k off down your own end'' ???

Mine's in and tax calculated, if you keep well on top of your paperwork then you'll be running a tighter ship and know where you stand and can therefore plan your finances. Most new companies fail because of cash flow, the majority of these is because they have no idea of where they stand. 
ideal time this long weekend to get it out the way. its fairly straightforward for me at the mo. maybe when works increased a lot and no longer do the paye job i'll use an accountant. Mind you, seriously considering that free consultation you can get. cant be bad.

The taxman doesn't want his money upfront, my tax year is the standardised tax year April to April my accounts go straight into my accountant on the 6th or as near as and within a week I know what I will be paying the coming January and then the July, based on what your profit is you should have some idea what your tax liability is going to be, 8 months ago I knew I was potentially going to have a big tax bill so I had a chat with my accountant and started saving quite a bit more money each month to get me ahead for this year and next, it's all about planning ahead 
yeh I have a rough idea, I keep month by month details, earnings and costs (vehicle, phone, equipment etc) and just add them all up. I havent paid it upfront yet, no profit for first year, (will be this year) but I'd heard that you can be required to pay 6 months tax ahead before you've even earned/worked that 6 month.

You guys don't pay estimated taxes each quarter so you don't get bludgeoned in taxes at the end of the year?

As for that low baller, in the states there's tons of them, new ones each day. Everyone has got their own market, cheap, middle and high class, but the low price buyers get low end results. No sense in worrying about racing to the bottom,

yeh I have a rough idea, I keep month by month details, earnings and costs (vehicle, phone, equipment etc) and just add them all up. I havent paid it upfront yet, no profit for first year, (will be this year) but I'd heard that you can be required to pay 6 months tax ahead before you've even earned/worked that 6 month.
If this is the first year in January 2020 you will have to pay all of your tax for the 18/19 tax year and 6 months of the 19/20 tax year. In July 2020 you will have to pay the other 6 months of the 19/20 tax year. 

The "advanced" payment is half of what you paid in the 18/19 tax year. Say you made a profit in the 18/19 tax year and tax owed is £2k, in January you will have to pay the £2k and another £1k as an advanced payment on the 19/20 tax year. Hope this makes sense. 

If this is the first year in January 2020 you will have to pay all of your tax for the 18/19 tax year and 6 months of the 19/20 tax year. In July 2020 you will have to pay the other 6 months of the 19/20 tax year. 

The "advanced" payment is half of what you paid in the 18/19 tax year. Say you made a profit in the 18/19 tax year and tax owed is £2k, in January you will have to pay the £2k and another £1k as an advanced payment on the 19/20 tax year. Hope this makes sense. 
yes mate, it makes sense too. i can see how it can keep you out of trouble as long as you keep a tab on it and dont spend whats not really all yours. just need a little discipline. i can do this nowdays, twenty years ago when I was more daft, may have messed up.

Unless your taxable profit is well  in excess of 20-30k you really have nowt to worry about 

As soon as you see ''Like I said'' anywhere in an open message you know the kind of person you're dealing with. It's naturally quite a rude thing to say, most people probably don't even use that. As for the kisses at the end I imagine she was sat on an old broken chair out the front of her house writing that, a roll up in the other hand, still wearing her dressing gown and shouting at some kid to ''F**k off down your own end'' ???

You've just described my wife, just missed out sipping from a jar of moonshine ?

Unless your taxable profit is well  in excess of 20-30k you really have nowt to worry about 
Yeh should be ok, now getting about 600 a week but that includes the paye job, but once the allowance and costs come off will be fine. Hope by summer to get that up to 8 or 900 a week though.

Back