Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weed kill or not?

Weed killer applied before is good as it will go down into the roots and kill the whole plant , if you just pressurewash it it will take the top growth off and then re grow 

As far as i am aware if you are spraying any kind of commercial or high strength weedkiller then you need have a license. 

I’m only saying this out of good intention not to try and scare you ?

always check what your insurance will cover you for.

it may be an idea to ask the custy to put weed killer down themselves first (they’d save on the labour anyway) although i would assume most warehouse type weedkillers are very watered down and not that effective.

i think gardening contractors need to be certified and licensed in order to use herbicides 

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as i am aware if you are spraying any kind of commercial or high strength weedkiller then you need have a license. 

I’m only saying this out of good intention not to try and scare you ?

always check what your insurance will cover you for.

it may be an idea to ask the custy to put weed killer down themselves first (they’d save on the labour anyway) although i would assume most warehouse type weedkillers are very watered down and not that effective.

i think gardening contractors need to be certified and licensed in order to use herbicides 
Funny you should say that.. I messaged the custy earlier with a price & she has just got back to me stating that she will do the weed kill, oh well.. problem solved ?

Yeah mate at the end of the day you need your backside covered. 

I’m new to softwashing so been reading up a lot of stuff as i want to do things the right way. You pick up more information the more you research.

say somebodies cat went and did something on an area you treated with weed killer and became ill. Or if you killed some sacred remembrance tree that was nearby where you sprayed, then i doubt your insurance would cover you.

in reality it would probably never happen but its not a risk i would personally wish to take.

ive dealt with drives and patios that are much worse than that, weed ridden. have always petrol strimmed to start, followed by a power wash, maybe a softwash treatment as well. And then sanded. Sealing may give some added protection against weeds. If done right. But its expensive, and if the weeds do come through after all that money spent...oh lord.

i would advise against promising that any result will be maintenance or weed free for any amount of time, because people will hold you to your word.

as with flower beds and garden borders the custy should expect to weed paths,patios, drives etc every now and again, if they dont then maybe theyre not concerned about it. 

Yeah mate at the end of the day you need your backside covered. 

I’m new to softwashing so been reading up a lot of stuff as i want to do things the right way. You pick up more information the more you research.

say somebodies cat went and did something on an area you treated with weed killer and became ill. Or if you killed some sacred remembrance tree that was nearby where you sprayed, then i doubt your insurance would cover you.

in reality it would probably never happen but its not a risk i would personally wish to take.

ive dealt with drives and patios that are much worse than that, weed ridden. have always petrol strimmed to start, followed by a power wash, maybe a softwash treatment as well. And then sanded. Sealing may give some added protection against weeds. If done right. But its expensive, and if the weeds do come through after all that money spent...oh lord.

i would advise against promising that any result will be maintenance or weed free for any amount of time, because people will hold you to your word.

as with flower beds and garden borders the custy should expect to weed paths,patios, drives etc every now and again, if they dont then maybe theyre not concerned about it. 
100% makes sense, was thinking of strimming em originally but was more keen to kill the roots, but hey... not my problem now, power wash & re sand ?

Back