Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing - how do you guys find it

Hyzer373

Just a few questions about canvassing really.
Do you guys like canvassing? I don’t enjoy it too much tbh, get some rude people, one person today said to me at the door that he has a window cleaner I said ok thank you no worries he then said I’d watch stomping on other people’s work areas (with a serious face) I said well I didn’t know, he then goes yeah there’s a few windows cleaners here they do all the area, I just said ok thanks but carried on and picked up a few customers on them roads, so weren’t all bad. I can’t lie he did bug me a bit as I could tell he was trying to basically say get out of this area.
Have you guys had experiences like this, how do you deal with it and do you just carry canvassing the area or move on?
I don’t want to step on other window cleaners spots but tbh they are everywhere and end of the day the works there for everyone, anytime a person says they have a window cleaner I say ok thanks, I never try to steal work and I’d never want to.

Maybe the more I canvass the more I will become comfortable with it.

Just a few questions about canvassing really.
Do you guys like canvassing? I don’t enjoy it too much tbh, get some rude people, one person today said to me at the door that he has a window cleaner I said ok thank you no worries he then said I’d watch stomping on other people’s work areas (with a serious face) I said well I didn’t know, he then goes yeah there’s a few windows cleaners here they do all the area, I just said ok thanks but carried on and picked up a few customers on them roads, so weren’t all bad. I can’t lie he did bug me a bit as I could tell he was trying to basically say get out of this area.
Have you guys had experiences like this, how do you deal with it and do you just carry canvassing the area or move on?
I don’t want to step on other window cleaners spots but tbh they are everywhere and end of the day the works there for everyone, anytime a person says they have a window cleaner I say ok thanks, I never try to steal work and I’d never want to.

Maybe the more I canvass the more I will become comfortable with it.
Theres no such thing as peoples 'areas'. Its a free market economy. There is a lot of competition out there, its true, but yeh, just pick up custom where you can, and like you say, if they already have a cleaner, fair enough, your not poaching. However, if they are rubbish and get dumped down the line, the customer is entitled to pick who they choose to replace them. maybe he was the cleaner himself, or friends/relative of him. Just drop your flyers through the doors, people move in and out etc, they wont have everyone on their books. cast your net wide mate, hook em up.

My wifes leafleted the whole town now and ive picked up 50ish people from in a month by just facebook group, and leaflets, im working on a 6week rota, with a cpl on 4wk and a cpl on 8wk.

Did 4 quotes tonight and got all 4 jobs, 2 already have a window cleaner but they dont like wfp cleans and their guy refuses to do them trad, so i dont feel bad taking his work.

Im gonna start canvassing the whole town next week hopefully ill have a full 5day 7hr round in no time atall.

Just gonna be totally upfront and honest, if they have a cleaner ill bid them good day and leave them a business card just incase ?

240 customers is my goal, grossing me £1700/2000 a month.

I need to get a thicker skin and not let some of the knocks/remarks effect me so much, I am aware I need to work on this, hopefully it comes with more n more canvassing.

I need to get a thicker skin and not let some of the knocks/remarks effect me so much, I am aware I need to work on this, hopefully it comes with more n more canvassing.
It gets easier. its a good job to build your confidence up. dealing with people etc. In the end any dodgy remarks will be like water rolling off a ducks back because you wont need to care.

You have got to think logically sometimes. Imagine you are the streets window cleaner and someone comes knocking. Right away ones imagination starts to click into gear and wondering how much he is willing to charge. Folk might not be too happy if work begins to roll in and I'm not talking about the opposition. Best thing you can do is say nothing and carry on regardless. Theres other things you can add along the way, gutter clearing and PVC cleaning the add-ons are endless. I'm Mr Ben and today I was painting an outhouse. I have now to paint the outside of the whole bungalow at £150 a day which I'm happy about. Just plod along for a week and get 750 which is ok for an easy week. Eventually word gets around what you can do.

You have got to think logically sometimes. Imagine you are the streets window cleaner and someone comes knocking. Right away ones imagination starts to click into gear and wondering how much he is willing to charge. Folk might not be too happy if work begins to roll in and I'm not talking about the opposition. Best thing you can do is say nothing and carry on regardless. Theres other things you can add along the way, gutter clearing and PVC cleaning the add-ons are endless. I'm Mr Ben and today I was painting an outhouse. I have now to paint the outside of the whole bungalow at £150 a day which I'm happy about. Just plod along for a week and get 750 which is ok for an easy week. Eventually word gets around what you can do.
yeh very true, if its saturated with window cleaners theres always extra jobs. A lot of elderly cant cut their lawns easily etc.

Aye, the elderly. Now here's a very interesting group of people. I work for one doing up his house and garden but I missed doing his windows. If he goes into a care home then he will be made to sell his bungalow to pay for his care but if he spends all his money then the council will pay it. Many old folk are beginning to cotton on to this financial fact and are spending their money by doing up their homes. That's where I come in and do the work for them. One began with fitting new wetwall in his shower quadrant. Next was two new light fittings and realigning internal doors. Now I'm just finishing off new PVC FSG and 14 downlighters in the soffit which began with one above his door. Last but not least I'm replacing his concrete edging with wooden sleepers so he can paint them. I'm thinking what will be next but there is nothing left to do until he told me his daughter and brother have a few jobs for me. I'm fully booked till into May now, strange how things can grow arm and legs and the cash is always there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wifes leafleted the whole town now and ive picked up 50ish people from in a month by just facebook group, and leaflets, im working on a 6week rota, with a cpl on 4wk and a cpl on 8wk.

Did 4 quotes tonight and got all 4 jobs, 2 already have a window cleaner but they dont like wfp cleans and their guy refuses to do them trad, so i dont feel bad taking his work.

Im gonna start canvassing the whole town next week hopefully ill have a full 5day 7hr round in no time atall.

Just gonna be totally upfront and honest, if they have a cleaner ill bid them good day and leave them a business card just incase ?

240 customers is my goal, grossing me £1700/2000 a month.

Thats very poor pricing only between £7-8 per job try and have a minimum charge say £10 , I think you are way to cheap and that’s why you are getting every job you quote , I know it’s hard when starting out but don’t go in to cheap or you will get to the point of not wanting to do the under priced work 

Just remember when canvassing that for every "No" you receive, you are one "No" closer to a "Yes". Just stick at it.... you'll get there eventually.

Thats very poor pricing only between £7-8 per job try and have a minimum charge say £10 , I think you are way to cheap and that’s why you are getting every job you quote , I know it’s hard when starting out but don’t go in to cheap or you will get to the point of not wanting to do the under priced work 
Im basing my work on 240 customers ever 6 weeks not every month, so avg job is average £10, the 1700 hopefuly is a slow month and the 2000 is a steady month.

£7/8 a job would be basing my 240 customers on a monthly basis.

Unless ive ballsed up my numbers lol

I've never done any canvassing myself, most of my work has come through Facebook and walk ups although I'm going to start canvassing soon. Bricking it but it will have to be done if I want to go full time. I'm starting to work a bit of a wider area now. How far out would you lads work?? 

I've never done any canvassing myself, most of my work has come through Facebook and walk ups although I'm going to start canvassing soon. Bricking it but it will have to be done if I want to go full time. I'm starting to work a bit of a wider area now. How far out would you lads work?? 
Ill do 10/12miles from home.

Im basing my work on 240 customers ever 6 weeks not every month, so avg job is average £10, the 1700 hopefuly is a slow month and the 2000 is a steady month.

£7/8 a job would be basing my 240 customers on a monthly basis.

Unless ive ballsed up my numbers lol

Lol Ime not good at maths either ?? but if I have worked it out right and I might not have I think that’s a gross income of I’ll try and explain it 240 customers at @ £10 a go = £2400 . If you do them every 6 weeks that’s 8:6 visits per year without taking any time off , money wise per year that = £19, 200 before any expenses , or taking any time off work , doesn’t sound a lot , I hope I have worked it out right , Ime not criticising you just trying to point out maybe your business  plan might need adjusting  , as that figure isn’t good for someone whose self employed , remember no paid holidays , no sick pay , no money when weather is bad , you could end up earning several thousand less than you hope . As I say hope I have worked it out right ???

Yes pjj is right be careful with 6 weekly. We are 6 weekly & have hit a brick wall at 250-300 customers & we are saturated with window cleaners more appearing all the time. 

Every now and again someone drops off and someone comes in but it is a relatively static number of customers on the rounds. We have to make it up with a LOT of ad ons, which aren’t always guaranteed. i think we are about a 40/60 split. 40% of income is the rounds & 60% of income is the ad ons. 

I do really detest canvassing, i no longer have the time to do it and i’m glad but its essential to get you going so take the rough with the smooth.

I found that it was barterers kingdom when door knocking, hard to get a good price for work. When you're in a position that they call you its easier to set your own rates.

If you go monthly you will need less customers to fill the books ?

Shiiiiiiiiiit yes ive not accounted for time off bad weather illness etc etc.

Looks like ill have to sharpen my pencil abit.

Id lobe to do 4weekly for less customers to fill my round, but ita driven by the customers, round here they all want 6weekly which i just have to swallow.

This is why i joined the forum tbh, the advice and pointers im getting is invaluble.

Cheers folks

240 customers every 6 weeks is only 40 customers windows a week to clean. You should, depending on size, do these in 2-3 days leaving you plenty of time to allow for holidays and bad weather. However earning £400 a week, gross, being self employed is less than earning minimum wage in a full time job. 

Back