Jump to content
CMcB

How to open a univalve

Recommended Posts

CMcB

Hi guys, 

I broke the end off my brand new univalve trying to take a hose clip off it. I have an old one that the spring has gone on it so I was going to try to swap out the broken pieces. What tool do I need to open it? I've tried using 2 small screw drivers and pushing into the side clips but it looks like I'm only damaging it. Any ideas welcome! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWCleaning

They split the atom, they put a man on the moon and now made artificial embryos, but annoyingly you can’t take apart a univalve yet. 

 

Na @Robbo took his univalve apart recently he said 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Part Timer

I'll be amazed if @sprucehasn't repaired one at sometime. Only chance he hasn't is if he's never owned one 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
strech

you only need 2 tools to open them up, works every time.

FAIFG212BB3nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I'll be amazed if @sprucehasn't repaired one at sometime. Only chance he hasn't is if he's never owned one 😜

 

I need to be a bit careful here @CMcB. Steve took his video off Youtube. Another cleaner put a copy of it back onto YouTube and Steve was on to him like a flash and it had to be removed.

 

So another cleaner put up his own version of how to disassemble it.

 

I seem to remember we could replace the spring but if memory serves me it can only be done with the hoses removed.

 

There are 2 x "o" rings inside the Univalve. There is a tiny one on the bottom plunger. Mine popped off. If yours has, a tiny smear of Araldite glue (or similar) will hold it in place but it mustn't get on the sealing part of the O ring. Its tiny.

 

 

 

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CMcB

@spruce fantastic! Thank you! Both univalves have the hose removed. On the new one the barb broke the old one the spring has bust so the plan is to swap them over. Going to try that this evening if I get them both open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CMcB

It worked!

20190424_191930.jpg

20190424_193227.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marko067

If you are using PU hose you shouldn't need to use 'O' clamps to hold the tube on. Pu hose just seems to grip tighter when you pull on it. This also helps to reduce the risk of breaking a barb when removing the hose.

To get the PU hose off the barbs I usually use a craft knife with a new blade and carefully make a longitudinal cut in the hose over the barb using several light cuts

978404927_Univalve1.jpg.d2a4ddd71c4a62bbb972123a9f2d2b4f.jpg

 

103602173_Univalve2.jpg.d342cf7927f21ab6728fa85e733b9561.jpg

 

until the hose starts to split

 

769924839_Univalve3.jpg.8ae903bdb53c3d639b2427604d1022d8.jpg

 

then the hose comes off real easy when you twist and pull. If you try this, do be careful not to cut into the edge of the barb on the univalve as this provides a seal with the hose. This is especially important on the high pressure side of the Univalve.

 

66414168_Univalve4.jpg.9f1ebd320f05a5cad9e847ac0de6afca.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tench0771
On 24/04/2019 at 18:59, spruce said:

 

I need to be a bit careful here @CMcB. Steve took his video off Youtube. Another cleaner put a copy of it back onto YouTube and Steve was on to him like a flash and it had to be removed.

 

So another cleaner put up his own version of how to disassemble it.

 

I seem to remember we could replace the spring but if memory serves me it can only be done with the hoses removed.

 

There are 2 x "o" rings inside the Univalve. There is a tiny one on the bottom plunger. Mine popped off. If yours has, a tiny smear of Araldite glue (or similar) will hold it in place but it mustn't get on the sealing part of the O ring. Its tiny.

 

 

 

nice vid , mine has gone very stiff do u think it just needs cleaning and regreasing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
7 minutes ago, tench0771 said:

nice vid , mine has gone very stiff do u think it just needs cleaning and regreasing 

 

You could always give that a try. I did it with mine and it made a big difference. It needs to be done again tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tench0771

ill strip it over weekend m8 ill let u no it it works 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.