CMcB

How to open a univalve

CMcB

Hi guys, 

I broke the end off my brand new univalve trying to take a hose clip off it. I have an old one that the spring has gone on it so I was going to try to swap out the broken pieces. What tool do I need to open it? I've tried using 2 small screw drivers and pushing into the side clips but it looks like I'm only damaging it. Any ideas welcome! 

RWCleaning

They split the atom, they put a man on the moon and now made artificial embryos, but annoyingly you can’t take apart a univalve yet. 

Na @Robbo took his univalve apart recently he said 

Part Timer

I'll be amazed if @sprucehasn't repaired one at sometime. Only chance he hasn't is if he's never owned one 😜

strech

you only need 2 tools to open them up, works every time.

FAIFG212BB3nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

spruce
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I'll be amazed if @sprucehasn't repaired one at sometime. Only chance he hasn't is if he's never owned one 😜

I need to be a bit careful here @CMcB. Steve took his video off Youtube. Another cleaner put a copy of it back onto YouTube and Steve was on to him like a flash and it had to be removed.

So another cleaner put up his own version of how to disassemble it.

I seem to remember we could replace the spring but if memory serves me it can only be done with the hoses removed.

There are 2 x "o" rings inside the Univalve. There is a tiny one on the bottom plunger. Mine popped off. If yours has, a tiny smear of Araldite glue (or similar) will hold it in place but it mustn't get on the sealing part of the O ring. Its tiny.

Edited by spruce

CMcB

@spruce fantastic! Thank you! Both univalves have the hose removed. On the new one the barb broke the old one the spring has bust so the plan is to swap them over. Going to try that this evening if I get them both open

CMcB

It worked!

20190424_191930.jpg

20190424_193227.jpg

Marko067

If you are using PU hose you shouldn't need to use 'O' clamps to hold the tube on. Pu hose just seems to grip tighter when you pull on it. This also helps to reduce the risk of breaking a barb when removing the hose.

To get the PU hose off the barbs I usually use a craft knife with a new blade and carefully make a longitudinal cut in the hose over the barb using several light cuts

978404927_Univalve1.jpg.d2a4ddd71c4a62bbb972123a9f2d2b4f.jpg

103602173_Univalve2.jpg.d342cf7927f21ab6728fa85e733b9561.jpg

until the hose starts to split

769924839_Univalve3.jpg.8ae903bdb53c3d639b2427604d1022d8.jpg

then the hose comes off real easy when you twist and pull. If you try this, do be careful not to cut into the edge of the barb on the univalve as this provides a seal with the hose. This is especially important on the high pressure side of the Univalve.

66414168_Univalve4.jpg.9f1ebd320f05a5cad9e847ac0de6afca.jpg

tench0771
On 24/04/2019 at 18:59, spruce said:

I need to be a bit careful here @CMcB. Steve took his video off Youtube. Another cleaner put a copy of it back onto YouTube and Steve was on to him like a flash and it had to be removed.

So another cleaner put up his own version of how to disassemble it.

I seem to remember we could replace the spring but if memory serves me it can only be done with the hoses removed.

There are 2 x "o" rings inside the Univalve. There is a tiny one on the bottom plunger. Mine popped off. If yours has, a tiny smear of Araldite glue (or similar) will hold it in place but it mustn't get on the sealing part of the O ring. Its tiny.

nice vid , mine has gone very stiff do u think it just needs cleaning and regreasing 

spruce
7 minutes ago, tench0771 said:

nice vid , mine has gone very stiff do u think it just needs cleaning and regreasing 

You could always give that a try. I did it with mine and it made a big difference. It needs to be done again tbh.

tench0771

ill strip it over weekend m8 ill let u no it it works 👀