Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you work your clamps?

steve garwood

ginger lion
Good afternoon fellow windies.

I switched to WFP around 11 years ago and have used various poles.

For the last 7-8 years I’ve used SLX 22s.

Now I’ve always adjusted the clamps so they lock the pole whilst there not fully closed.

This has been successful for me as  my poles have lasted for years and years without the need to apply lacquer etc.

Now, I’ve just taken delivery of 2 xtremes and when I watched the video of @Alex Gardiner demonstrating them he closed the clams fully.

Simple question, what do you do?

Ive always been same as you but now you mention it does make sense to tighten whilst closed so you don’t over tighten the clamp. 

Good afternoon fellow windies.

I switched to WFP around 11 years ago and have used various poles.

For the last 7-8 years I’ve used SLX 22s.

Now I’ve always adjusted the clamps so they lock the pole whilst there not fully closed.

This has been successful for me as  my poles have lasted for years and years without the need to apply lacquer etc.

Now, I’ve just taken delivery of 2 xtremes and when I watched the video of @Alex Gardiner demonstrating them he closed the clams fully.

Simple question, what do you do?
Sounds like the alcohol is wearing off Steve, get yourself down the pub fast!!

Ysame as you, I never shut the clamp completely, it’s too stiff to do easily & quickly (if that makes sense?)

The only time I do close them completely is when putting it back in the vac, as the guttering is quite tight. Just fits in when all closed. 

i adjust them so i can close the clamps fully.....maybe this is where ive been going wrong as within 6 months the 2 top sections start to spin due to wear when pole fully closed(whether its an SLX or an xtreme pole)

We always close the clamp fully on all poles  I wouldn’t have thought about having them partly open to be honest .

No I don’t. I mean having the clamps half shut so they hold the pole ?
Were is the logic in that? By doing that you will be risking over tightening the clamp and causing more damage than good. I think I misunderstood your question. I’ve never seen anyone working with the clamps in a half shut position. If it works for you then why change but spending that much money on a pole I’d be listening to the manufacturers advice so I don’t void the warranty. 

Were is the logic in that? By doing that you will be risking over tightening the clamp and causing more damage than good. I think I misunderstood your question. I’ve never seen anyone working with the clamps in a half shut position. If it works for you then why change but spending that much money on a pole I’d be listening to the manufacturers advice so I don’t void the warranty. 
I know a few windies who work with the clamps half closed.

They day it makes them last longer?

I’m just seeing what others do.

Spoke to gardiners yesterday, they said with their newer smart clamps you should fully close them, so that’s what I’ll be doing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Gardiner SLX 22 all day every day. I adjust the clamps, one at a time. I open the clamp to set the adjuster so that when it is closed it holds the section firmly enough that it won't spin. Not too tight though, as it can put enough pressure on the threads to strip them (happened to me once, don’t intend to make that mistake again). If they are set correctly they won't do damage and you can use them without hesitation (speed is key) . If they're set tight but used partly open there's a danger of accidentally closing them too far and doing damage. I simply readjust if they start to spin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back