Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gripptank Reel Users

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

@Reach For The Glass, I think you bought a couple last year? I've had one delivered today and I have a concern with it. On opening the box I found that one of the bearings was sticking out past the inner circular piece of metal that turns on the bearings. I managed to push it back in to place. Since then I've noticed there are 4 bearings on each side of the reel. When you order it states that the reel runs on 3 bearings. One nut and bolt on either side are not tightened up and there doesn't seem a way of getting an Allen key in between the side wall so that I can then get a spanner on the other side to tighten them up. There also seems to be a bit of sideways play in the reel. Is this normal? Also the winding handle isn't centered, is this normal? As there are 4 bearings on each side, are these spares? I rang Grippa but they haven't phoned back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Tuffers can’t comment on amount of bearings I’d need to check that mate.

As for running off centre yes I’ve had this, no it’s not normal! I’ve had a few conversations with grippa about this and always get told we can send an engineer to fix at roadside, which we will do for free even though we should charge as out of warranty, we will replace them for you (but does this eliminate the issue, I doubt as you now have the issue) or an explanation of how to fix them yourself. Which to be honest on reels that cost this much is a bloody joke, having to repair them at this age is ******** let alone fix them yourself. 

I did say I don’t recommend these reels, yes they are “ok” but have issues, and at the price they charge it’s just not acceptable. They don’t like taking respond either, not in the sense of not wanting to assist in fixing the issue, but there is always an excuse as to why something’s gone wrong. Bloody annoying.

I have had

wrong handles sent with reels

centre spindle falling out

handles undoing themselves 

water inlet connections broken

reels dont run true the “wave “ when reeling in and out.

I would order stuff again from grippa, but it would have to be tried and tested stuff and well worth needing. I left a review which they replied to on google.

Also bare in mind the review is old and I’ve had numerous issues since.

Ordered 2 hose reels from grippatank. I knew there was a long wait for production which was fully acceptable.

After asking grippa numerous times about when the reels would be delivered i was given dates which kept getting pushed back. Mean while in between emails and phone calls regatding delivery i continually asked for info on fittings for the reels. I was always promised an answer, but from ordering to delivery this was never answered after being promised time and time again. After finally being given a delivery day i dismantled my system ready for install of new reels. I knew id lose a days work because i had to install the reels myself, again something i was fully aware of. 

Delivery day came and went no reels arrived, gave it another day and no reels. Phoned grippa and spoke to pete, he assured me the reels would be with me that day before 4pm. You guessed it no reels. So i emailed to ask and recieved emails from oliver stating its delivery companies fault, which was not grippas fault and was rectified by oliver sending 2 new reels out for a pre 10am delivery next day and giving 10% off next order. I finally recieved the reels at 10am next day.

After unpacking the reels they seem good quality although not used yet i cannot comment on quality. After checking reels 1 handle is wrong and needs replacing which oliver said he will send to me. I also have no instructions for installation of quick release base amd reels. I asked oliver for a copy to be emailed over he said sure no problem. No instructions that day. Recieved email The next day asking if id recieved them as they had email issues with attachments, i said no but have still yet to recieve instructions or a reply from oliver, 3 days on now. Used facebook chat and asked for a copy to be sent or emailed over, response was 30 minutes later saying yes of course, 2 days later again no instructions or handle.

Ive found the whole process of dealing with grippa quite poor. What should of been 1 days lost work on my doing, has turned into a week and counting. Products look decent when and if stuff turns up, but should be at the price charged.

Would i use grippa again, maybe, ill let you when my handle and instructions turn up.!!!

@Reach For The Glass, I think you bought a couple last year? I've had one delivered today and I have a concern with it. On opening the box I found that one of the bearings was sticking out past the inner circular piece of metal that turns on the bearings. I managed to push it back in to place. Since then I've noticed there are 4 bearings on each side of the reel. When you order it states that the reel runs on 3 bearings. One nut and bolt on either side are not tightened up and there doesn't seem a way of getting an Allen key in between the side wall so that I can then get a spanner on the other side to tighten them up. There also seems to be a bit of sideways play in the reel. Is this normal? Also the winding handle isn't centered, is this normal? As there are 4 bearings on each side, are these spares? I rang Grippa but they haven't phoned back.
i had a problem with my purefreedom REELMASTER when i got it delivered last year(the chain kept coming off).....in the end i drove to them and the engineer spent 4 hours changing all the bearings,etc on it......its never missed a beat since but shouldnt happen in the first place.im sure it must of got knocked during transit/delivery.....

No not really but that’s just one of many problems I’ve had with them recently dealing with them now just winds me up(no pun intended).

I have been hand tightening  the handle back up but will use tools on it at the weekend and see how it goes.
i had a few issues with grippatank when i had my diesel heater installed,absolutely laughable really....basic things that should of been checked before i drove 300+ miles home and recently ive found out about some shoddy workmanship in relation to the fuel line integration....not impressed one bit with them tbh....

i had a few issues with grippatank when i had my diesel heater installed,absolutely laughable really....basic things that should of been checked before i drove 300+ miles home and recently ive found out about some shoddy workmanship in relation to the fuel line integration....not impressed one bit with them tbh....

Exactly the same experience Daz.

Simple things they should have done but got wrong i’m Not sure if it’s laughable or shockingly worrying.

Lol I have been looking at getting two electric reels both the ones mentioned were on my list of possible purchases , reading this has put me of both , the Grippatank ones are around 1k each Ime not prepared to pay that and have any issues at all I expect it to be right mno we will send out parts or will fix it , it should be right before it’s sold to the public if not it’s not fit for purpose. At the moment I have two Redashe 460  manual reels had them 4 years they were £150 each not had a muinits problem with them they run true , never leak and we use very hot water 8 hours a day they have been faultless cannot recommend them enough 

Lol I have been looking at getting two electric reels both the ones mentioned were on my list of possible purchases , reading this has put me of both , the Grippatank ones are around 1k each Ime not prepared to pay that and have any issues at all I expect it to be right mno we will send out parts or will fix it , it should be right before it’s sold to the public if not it’s not fit for purpose. At the moment I have two Redashe 460  manual reels had them 4 years they were £150 each not had a muinits problem with them they run true , never leak and we use very hot water 8 hours a day they have been faultless cannot recommend them enough 
the PF reelmaster is great now,never misses a beat and far easier than using a manual reel......

they build these reels to order(both PF and grippatank do this),there bound to get the odd problem here and there,its just you dont hear off the WCs that never have problems with them....(i dont know a single other wc whos had any problems with the PF reels)

the PF reelmaster is great now,never misses a beat and far easier than using a manual reel......

they build these reels to order(both PF and grippatank do this),there bound to get the odd problem here and there,its just you dont hear off the WCs that never have problems with them....(i dont know a single other wc whos had any problems with the PF reels)
Just about, in the next month, to get a twin stack hot water system PF reelmaster, so hopefully should be able to let everyone know my thoughts. 

I have a GrippaTank reel. Was 3 months old when I bought it second hand in 2014. Still going strong ?

will 100% be buying another one whenever I need one. Electric if possible 

I have two power up hd nice and small good build quality very fast but also stop when they get snagged, and cheaper than the others. 

There is (hopefully) something revolutionary coming from WaterWorks to be launched at the show in September.  No it is not the IQ that is still in development but something far better in the world of reels.  

I am not at liberty to say more right now but the tooling is paid for and the 3d models are looking good so for all of those looking to change / upgrade reels in the near future it could be worth holding back a minute. 

when the grippa reels were first announced for sale-and there was a bit of an offer on them I tried to buy one, luckily for me a website hiccup wouldn't allow the payment. after that I did feel that there was an underlying lack of lets say not saying or not wanting to say or answer any questions that were asked about these reels.

disregarding the apparently high level of after service you get from  grippa I found this alarming and went no further with my order.

roll forward a year and I was in the process of ordering a custom made tank, so we discussed tank dimensions and what i'd like to add in the future so in years to come everything would be in place should I want to do this or that, I mentioned the possibility of a grippa reel and the guy flatly refused to add provision for one of these reels he is a friend and suggested either pf or water works as he did say even back then those reels had a whole lot of issues, it seems nothing has changed otherwise members on here wouldn't be having problems or doubts and lets face it when you pay that amount of money for a hose reel it needs and wants to be spot on. overall I found my first initial purchase with grippa (thankfully it never went through) full of deception and lies or lack of telling the truth-whichever.or however you read my experience with them.

my power up is now four years old and still going well is used daily and I've found it works better if treated harder it just works everytime when I need it and is reliable to a t.

so, I tried grippa  once,it failed and i'll not be ever going near them again

Back