Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad benefits for large windows

DeLaCruz

I am a WFP cleaner by trade - I have to clean a couple businesses which have large sun lite windows that need interior and exterior - I do these in the evening and today I noticed lots of imperfections in the finish.

Overall the WFP and squeegee does an okay job for the outside (although I still notice blemishes on the bright evenings I clean there).

The interior is a pain using a small pure water sprayer and interior Vikan cleaning kit - the finish is blotchy maybe that’s my bad technique ? 

Just seems like there should be a more efficient way to do these windows given the good access I have. Is trad a more efficient way to clean these large panels when access is not an issue? 

I am a WFP cleaner by trade - I have to clean a couple businesses which have large sun lite windows that need interior and exterior - I do these in the evening and today I noticed lots of imperfections in the finish.

Overall the WFP and squeegee does an okay job for the outside (although I still notice blemishes on the bright evenings I clean there).

The interior is a pain using a small pure water sprayer and interior Vikan cleaning kit - the finish is blotchy maybe that’s my bad technique ? 

Just seems like there should be a more efficient way to do these windows given the good access I have. Is trad a more efficient way to clean these large panels when access is not an issue? 
I'd certainly give it a go.  I mix wfp & trad and have to say that on some jobs, trad is quicker.  I'll always do tops wfp, but then mix & match downstairs depending which will be quicker.  I find I can trad faster on very hydrophobic glass than I can wfp. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I do very little trad, but it does have its place in many circumstances. The major drawback with trad is that even though you may feel you get a good finish on the glass, the windows will get dirty very quickly. You leave behind an invisible layer of soap and all the dirt in the air starts sticking to it. I do a sports club, currently our only commercial job. Its a set of double patio doors, 4 large sliding panes about 7 ft high by 3 ft wide. They are done monthly inside and out, and the outside is much dirtier after one month than a wfp clean would be after 6 weeks.

i do it trad because there is no parking access so i have to park around the corner and walk. the inside of the doors is done. So its practical in both senses

What would you recommend as the best interior window pure water cleaning system ? I have a backpack already so would just need the interior brush / clothes 

You dont need pure water for trad dude. Depending on the size of the panes, just a standard applicator and squeegee cant be beaten really. For multiple small panes a spray bottle of water/white vinegar and microfibres will do. 

There are numerous funky contraptions that will cost you £80 or £100 but i find the old ways best

The only way to get acceptable results inside that I have found is mop and squeegee , theses Viking  easy shine things are a complete waist of time from my experience unless you are doing them every day the slightest bit of dirt and they smear like mad 

Nice one thanks - will grab a mop as have the squeegee already. What kinda mix do I need to use for interior mop ? Any links to would be appreciated - thanks again everyone who has helped me out 

We use Titan gg3  only need a small amount I just squirt a bit in the bucket  you don’t need more than a couple of thimble fulls to a gallon of water 

On large interior windows that get done trad, when i blade off the larger panes, what techniques are there to prevent dripping? I could use one of those karcher vacs, but the windows are large enough that it may take a while (never used one). Was going to just use a large microfibre cloth and go sparingly on the applicator ?

IMO you have to know how to use both wfp and trad as a window cleaner, there is call for both.

Large interior and exterior panes if what I do every week & I do so many store interiors that I have to be so careful about drips. I use  36 and 42 inch squeegees, makes life a million times easier for large panes.... most wouldn't go near them but they are genuinely the best thing I have ever bought since day 1. 

Get normal 18 inch applicator and squeegee which aren't overly pricey (decent rubber obviously),  wet and hand rinse applicator so no drips, scrub/wash windows and just go in straight lines with squeegee with applicator underneath collecting the excess water if you are not confident with the other techniques. I have the Unger stingray and have used Vikan interior etc and Pjj is absolute spot on.. unless you are literally cleaning a specific pane of glass every day they are a complete waste of time... haven't used mine in years it's awful. Tried my best to like it but was a bad purchase so don't waste your hard earned money. You will be essentially just pushing dirt around the glass and the finish will be terrible. Applicator and Squeegee is the best way to go imo.

Thanks a lot Dan and Pjj for the advice, i have invested in a good quality squeegee (Unger ergotech ninja with black rubber) but its only 14" - i looked and can upgrade to longer channel in the future so i may do that. Have a standard applicator now aswell so am all set for some traditional interior cleans, had a mess around on my interior kitchen windows and noticed quite a bit of water runoff after blading hence why i asked about that.

Can i ask do you use a seperate dry applicator to collect the runoff when blading off the glass or just use the same one you use to do the initial application ? 

Use the same one mate, just rinse it out and make sure it's not dripping and obviously have cloth in hand too. Run the squeegee over the applicator aswell as it will remove excess water from the rubber and take off any grit or bits that may be on the rubber.

I while back I used to work as a pair. We used to do a shop front, I did outside wfp and he did inside trad. I was naturally a faster worker than he was but he always finished before me. Every tool has its place with each giving better and more profitable results on certain jobs. I’ll never get rid of my ladder, pad and blade because sometimes it’s just better. 

I dont do much commercial/shops, but have a few, handy for an early start. Really dont like the idea of doing insides. one of them, old fashioned furnishings etc store, the insides is bad in places where they keep having these promotions or what have you, and have had stuff stuck on the glass. Advertising/easter/xmas promos etc. That shop, I just tell them I dont do insides.

I prefer tradding larger panes, if above head hight moerman exelerator on pole otherwise in hand, all Bar 1 shop front I do gets done trad, only reason 1 doesn't is its got curved panes and it's a ballache to trad.

sometimes I just use a damp scrim and dry off with dry scrim for small  windows. I mostly wfp but have to do trad on some farmhouse type places. I just dont think it would save me any time using squeegy and blade over scrim in some cases. I know mop and blade will be better for the larger glass, but not these little pane jobs.

Also I know many prefer the microfibre, but Ive used them too and found for these particular jobs, a worn in scrim is best. The unger microfibre doesnt seem to glide across the glass the same as the scrim.

Im getting more of these odd houses in the sticks now, as I had to cast my net wider as the urban areas near me are flooded with cleaners. I dont mind, as long as I can get the same money.  Many of them were built in the 1500s when people were shorter so as the ceilings are lower, the house is lower and you dont have to go to a dangerous ladder height.

Back