Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial Office Quote

WCF

Help Support WCF:

strech

Just been asked to quote for this job inside and out every month BUT the owners want it cleaned traditional outside no poles? any ideas on price guys, never had a commercial that point blank refuse my SLX, don't know if they have had bad experiance before with a (splash and dash artist?) 86 window panels 1st floor 34 windows ground windows the same on all 4 sides, oh yes and a good cleaner for getting dust and cob webs of my ladders.

Many thanks guys

Strech

P1000432.JPG

On a commercial building ladders should not be used so I would turn the job down , not worth the risks looking at the state of the building I expect that they are after a cheap job 

The only time I was asked not to clean by WFP it was owned by people from the Asian Continent. I informed them that as the H&S executive tell people that works carried out should be done by the safest method and that isn't using a ladder. 

I refused to quote unless I could use WFP and they said no. Passed the property a few months ago, 6 months after I was asked to quote, and the windows aren't getting cleaned. 

don't know if they have had bad experiance before with a (splash and dash artist?)
This is a bit of locking the door after the horse has bolted here but I would have asked the question. If they've had a bad experience I offer to clean a window and show them how it works. I have a quote booked for Monday evening where i've already agreed to do that.

Yes i will ask the question when i quote job next week, thats a good idea will try to get them to see what my SLX can do on a couple of windows. Is it a total no no to use ladders on commercial jobs now? 

Yes i will ask the question when i quote job next week, thats a good idea will try to get them to see what my SLX can do on a couple of windows. Is it a total no no to use ladders on commercial jobs now? 

The directive from the hse is very specific , if the job can be done using a safer method it must be employed , that means with window cleaning that wfp should be used where ever possible, if you need a ladder for access or an occasional window that’s fine , but if you go round that building cleaning every window off a ladder and you have an accident you will more than likely find yourself with a big fine , the building owner would also be fined for letting you do the job that way , he should know better than be asking for work to be done in that manner on a commercial building . We do a lot of work for management companies and large well known commercial companies and they state quite specifically no ladders are to be used on there premises, for window cleaning . 

A few years ago a window cleaner fell off a ladder cleaning the windows and died as a result of the fall on st james palace London owned by a member of the royal family the company he worked for was a very large window company , they got the book thrown at them by the hse , try googling it it’s out there for  anyone to read the report , it makes very sobering reading and if people think it’s ok to use ladders for this type of work before reading it they won’t after .

As you have said do a few windows for them as a demo with the pole , find out why they don’t want/ like it , but if they insist on it being done trad I would walk away and refuse to deal with them , as they oviously don’t care about the law or your health and safety . That’s just my ten pence worth . 

Just to follow up on what @Pjj as said. If the rule is....

The directive from the hse is very specific , if the job can be done using a safer method it must be employed , that means with window cleaning that wfp should be used where ever possible
This means as you have a WFP you need to use it. If they employ a trad cleaner he can clean from ladders as this is the safest way possible for them. This is my interpretation of the window cleaners responsibility.

The company asking you to undertake the work would have responsibilities also. I imagine their responsibility would be to hire a company that can complete the work in the safest way possible. Focus on this during the quote and you will easily be able to gauge what type of company you’re dealing with.

And where exactly are they expecting you to rest your ladders on that building? It looks like metal sills and cladding to me. I think they want a one off.... inside and out every month!?? I'd be amazed if they stuck to inside and out every month. The building looks a mess to be honest.

Thanks Tuffers didnt notice that and the fact that shingle as well, only need a loose patch,  will still see if i can convert them to WFP other wise let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
 If they employ a trad cleaner he can clean from ladders as this is the safest way possible for them. This is my interpretation of the window cleaners responsibility.

Yes but what of the building owners responsibility to ensure safest methods used at all times and saying 'Oh sorry, you're ladders only?  No thanks, we'll call elsewhere'

Not to mention (and I haven't busted out my binoculars)  but the floor looks to be completely gravel to me.  Yeah, pop a ladder on that ?

Here's my quote Mr Customer, £280 for the outside using WFP or  £12'000 if you'd like it doing Trad to cover possible fines, injuries, funerals etc................ 

Yes but what of the building owners responsibility to ensure safest methods used at all times and saying 'Oh sorry, you're ladders only?  No thanks, we'll call elsewhere'

Not to mention (and I haven't busted out my binoculars)  but the floor looks to be completely gravel to me.  Yeah, pop a ladder on that ?

Here's my quote Mr Customer, £280 for the outside using WFP or  £12'000 if you'd like it doing Trad to cover possible fines, injuries, funerals etc................ 
Thats what I meant here mate.

The company asking you to undertake the work would have responsibilities also. I imagine their responsibility would be to hire a company that can complete the work in the safest way possible.
I'd probably give the cladding a dust down for 12k too though, I'm kind like that haha.

What was the end result @strech?

Hi went and quoted job today but could not talk to owner secretary that I spoke to was adamant that they only wanted it done traditionally and would not budge on it I even offered to clean a few for free to show them, what it seems that they have had a few splash and dash artists, quoting (Trad man). Could have been a nice job once a month there’s a lot more windows other end of building, job only 2 min drive from home.

sent this e-mail after seeing her,

Hi Name

Name from ***** cleaning services, the offer is still there I can come round clean 5 of your dirtiest windows for FREE with our reach & wash pole to prove to you what a great system this is in the right hands, we only use pure zero parts per million de-ionized water which we produce ourselves through a 5 stage filtration process we have been using this method for years along the coast and have quite a few customers that love this technology it gets right into the corners of the glass and frames/sills are cleaned at the same time if it’s done right with the right amount of skill and agitation and rinsing the seagulls mess is a thing of the past and the windows are left sparkling. The thing with pure water is it just needs to get dirty again with the right agitation with the proper bristle brush for the job and the key is in the rinsing of your windows then they should be looking great again, also with our method the glass is left with no sticky soap residue to attract dirt and dust straight away. Were sorry you have had bad experiences in the past but in my opinion this is the safest and best method now for cleaning windows  without the expense of using cherry pickers or the potential H and S Issues with using ladders at height.

Times & Technology change and so do we at ***** cleaning services.

name number etc.
She did say when they cleaned the windows before with wfp they left bird poo marks still on glass and sounds like just smeard the rest around, should have guesed when I saw in there carpark window cleaners parking bay with a hitching post , Agggghhhhh!!!!!!!.

Just been asked to quote for this job inside and out every month BUT the owners want it cleaned traditional outside no poles? any ideas on price guys, never had a commercial that point blank refuse my SLX, don't know if they have had bad experiance before with a (splash and dash artist?) 86 window panels 1st floor 34 windows ground windows the same on all 4 sides, oh yes and a good cleaner for getting dust and cob webs of my ladders.

Many thanks guys

Strech

View attachment 16324
Hire a cherry picker??????

Latest Posts

Back