Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad Window Cleaning

congaman

Hello fellow window cleaners!!

Are there any small window cleaning rounds going in the East Devon area? Specifically around the Sid Valley, Sidmouth/Exmouth/Budleigh Salterton and surrounding areas.

I'm looking for a decent size round for a couple of days' work a week. I don't use WFP System as yet. It will depend on the type of work I obtain as to whether I make the switch or not. 

Thanks,

Colin.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO - If you're taking on new work it's definitely a good time to make the switch to WFP.
Certainly I would agree for upstairs, saves doing a lot of ladder work (safer), can still Trad downstairs and could then get by with a backpack wfp system to save on expense.

Certainly I would agree for upstairs, saves doing a lot of ladder work (safer), can still Trad downstairs and could then get by with a backpack wfp system to save on expense.
My thoughts exactly Mike. I can't justify spending thousands on a WFP system in a van which can only be used for window cleaning. Not at my age anyway. A backpack WFP system is a good solution once I get the work. 

My thoughts exactly Mike. I can't justify spending thousands on a WFP system in a van which can only be used for window cleaning. Not at my age anyway. A backpack WFP system is a good solution once I get the work. 
You’ll not need  thousands of pounds for van system, 

you have paid for the pole , that’s the biggest cost ,  shop around for everything else , second hand , I paid £75 for 175litre tank , now am getting even bigger one 350litres for £50 

all thats if you already have a van , 

I would definitely go with backpacks until the business matures and you find out what you truly want it to be. See how far your rounds grow. You may decode you want to diversify. Once you’ve got a ban fitted system you’re stuffed then for fitting other equipment in should you decide you want to do anything else.

we’ve run off backpacks for 5 years now and it works for us. When we want to go grass mowing, pressure washing, gutter clerancees, hedge trimming etc no hassle as its equipment off equipment on, no worries about a fitted system being in the way. If window cleaning is the sole operation of your business fair enough but we need to diversify to survive,

hope this helps! 

Hello fellow window cleaners!!

Are there any small window cleaning rounds going in the East Devon area? Specifically around the Sid Valley, Sidmouth/Exmouth/Budleigh Salterton and surrounding areas.

I'm looking for a decent size round for a couple of days' work a week. I don't use WFP System as yet. It will depend on the type of work I obtain as to whether I make the switch or not. 

Thanks,

Colin.
Best to switch if you can , i like many others started trad cleaning and moving to WFP was the best move i made.

I’m in same mind as you right now. Ordering all WFP and trad pole with a Moerman fliq.  Let me know how you get on or if you already started. I don’t want to use ladders at all so I’m trying to cover it with backup equipment etc 

I’m in same mind as you right now. Ordering all WFP and trad pole with a Moerman fliq.  Let me know how you get on or if you already started. I don’t want to use ladders at all so I’m trying to cover it with backup equipment etc 

My personal input and i'm not saying it's a right or wrong opinion, every customer is different BUT..... Residential Trad cleaning is on its way out.

Because of the WFP abilities, customers want their upvc frames, sills and doors thoroughly cleaned which isn't something Trad cleaning can offer properly.

I have taken on so many new customers that are cancelling their trad cleaners due to this plus if you do clean wfp and you're not cleaning all around frames properly, you too will also loose those customers to companies like mine.

Start with a wfp Trolley, not a backpack. I started with a backpack and it was back breaking! wish i purchased trolley system instead. 

I outgrew the backpack very quickly, moved onto a 350lt tank set up that i purchased of £400, Tank, Frame, Pump, filters, split charge relay and leisure battery was included. I then outgrew that system and upgraded van from doblo to a dispatch lwb and 500lt set up.

Wish you all the best, and don't worry about anyone else, make the decisions that suit you and your business.

I noticed a few people on Facebook requesting a trad cleaner and not wfp.

I'm not why but perhaps there's been some people doing bad work with a pole and getting us a bad name.

All I hear from my customers is how happy they are? It's a bit confusing

I wouldn’t be so sure about trad cleaning being on its way out. I mix and match as to suit. Window sills and grey frames in particular there is no way on earth you're shifting that without a magic sponge/unger rub out/cloths. Also moss build up needs removing with a muc off claw, all this requires a ladder and is in effect trad cleaning.

ubik/degreaser yeah great for removing cobwebs and soot etc but it wont get the frames & sills any whiter it just removes the surface dirt

every now and again my ladder stilll comes off as plastics do deteriorate over time and in my experience wfp is pretty ineffective against embedded moss and stubborn lichens also. 

For maintenance cleaning its great but ill never rely on wfp alone.

for inaccessible windows or windows that are too high for a ladder wfp is the only option and even thats a “best attempt” 

trad work alone too many windows that cant be accessed. For an all round effective service i carry both sets of tools

Back