Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I Had To Change My Resin Today

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

On starting to make an IBC full of water I checked my TDS after DI. It had crept up to 005. The last time I changed the resin in my 11 litre vessel was.... wait for it.... November....2017 ???

How many litres per day you use? 

I use tulsion also.

Mine comes out at 007-009 I use 600l per day and go thru lots more resin than you.

Ive just done a calculation on your figures Tuffers. 300ltrs per day,say70wks=21000ltrs,now your changing resin,your di is11ltr,so you only get ,two full fills from a 25k bag of resin,21000 by 2 =42000,more if u use whole bag.I posted resin panic panic,a dy or two ago,so thanks for your figures,it would seem that the more generous calculation,ie 500000 in my post is the one, cheers.

Ive just done a calculation on your figures Tuffers. 300ltrs per day,say70wks=21000ltrs,now your changing resin,your di is11ltr,so you only get ,two full fills from a 25k bag of resin,21000 by 2 =42000,more if u use whole bag.I posted resin panic panic,a dy or two ago,so thanks for your figures,it would seem that the more generous calculation,ie 500000 in my post is the one, cheers.

I've always used Gardiner's resin calculator. But it has to be used as a best guess estimate imho.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

WCW has a resin calculator on their site. Their calculator has different results to the Gardiner calculator when I played around with them both many years ago now..

https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/resin-calculator.html

Different di vessels can filter water through the resin more efficiently than others. Unger claimed this of their very expensive di vessel when it was first introduced.

Not all resins will produce the same results as some are a better quality than others.

At what point do these calculators say the resin is exhausted?  Is it the moment the water tds rises from zero to 1ppm?

Water flow rate through the resin will make a difference to how efficiently a di vessel will work. The lower the flow rate the more efficient that di vessel will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh dear..... this will probably start a riot.. but..  

Like @Tuffers i get a lot of life from my system. Set up in Feb 2017.  Sediment and carbon pre filters. 40/40 RO. 25L Di. 

150ppm from tap. 9-10ppm post RO - 3000L per week MINIMUM and still at 000ppm.  

After a year I was worried meter was faulty so bought another but nope... it agrees. 

I spent less than £500 on that setup. Got 320'000 liters plus from it.  Even if we used 20liters per job average (which is about right) that's 16'000 cleans.  With a low average (and yes this is deliberately calculated low) of £13 per clean that's £208'000 worth of work turned over from £500 worth of filters.  

Yes yes, but the cost of water, diesel, blah blah........   but this is a discussion about filters. 

I put a new membrane in recently. Farmer came along and closed the waste valve while it was running..............

I don’t think TDS is the only explanation for resin Longevity, my TDs is 10-11 I’m lucky if I get 4000 L of pure before I have to change the resin, Maybe it has also something to do with the Composition of the water and location I’m in Hertfordshire love to know what others are getting in the county, at the end of the day Resin is costing me a fortune, Compare to others it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think TDS is the only explanation for resin Longevity, my TDs is 10-11 I’m lucky if I get 4000 L of pure before I have to change the resin, Maybe it has also something to do with the Composition of the water and location I’m in Hertfordshire love to know what others are getting in the county, at the end of the day Resin is costing me a fortune, Compare to others it seems.

Next time you change resin in your di vessel save a bit. Then put some into a container (say a cup) and fill it with water, stir it around and then test the tds of the water. If its zero then you still have life left in the resin and may indicate a faulty di vessel. You might try this several times.

We have also found that the water fed through the di vessel creates channels and the tds rises. We always give the di vessel a shake and the tds goes back to zero. If the di vessel is in the van, then the motion of the van keeps the resin vessel shaken.

What part of Herts?

Ppm here is 340 before ro which is ****

My TDS has been a bit weird this week.

Monday before DI 007 after 001, Tuesday 007 then 002, rest of the week 007 and 000 ?.

I haven’t given the vessel a shake or nothing.

Pub time. Have a blinding weekend fellow windies ?

Yes it aint great in my part of suffolk. 540 odd out the tap. My 4021 gets it down to 12/14 and then similar to you, after 4/5000 odd of pure the tds goes up a little. But theres no way im changing resin after that amount, so im still using it now its crept up to 3/4, after 10,000 litres of pure. Its fine, and also after its sat in water butt or whatever for some time it goes down to 1 or 2 anyway. 

Sruse,good point,when do the calculators say the resin is exhausted.Dont know yet.!Nice one green Pro,thats my target!Daqua told me 11ltr di vessal minuimum if the water flow rate through it is high,mines only 7ltrs. Cheers

Ohhh dear..... this will probably start a riot.. but..  

Like @Tuffers i get a lot of life from my system. Set up in Feb 2017.  Sediment and carbon pre filters. 40/40 RO. 25L Di. 

150ppm from tap. 9-10ppm post RO - 3000L per week MINIMUM and still at 000ppm.  

After a year I was worried meter was faulty so bought another but nope... it agrees. 

I spent less than £500 on that setup. Got 320'000 liters plus from it.  Even if we used 20liters per job average (which is about right) that's 16'000 cleans.  With a low average (and yes this is deliberately calculated low) of £13 per clean that's £208'000 worth of work turned over from £500 worth of filters.  

Yes yes, but the cost of water, diesel, blah blah........   but this is a discussion about filters. 
Hi G/pro 3000 per wk? have you not changed di since Feb 17 ?

Back