Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello, small start-up in Scotland

Davit

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while I'm afraid, but now I'm coming clean ?

Just started up in Scotland, after researching (lurking?) for a while, currently at 7 customers.  Been helped out a great deal by window cleaner friends, and this forum.  I'm really blown away reading posts by the positive and helpful folks on here, so thank you ?

Here's an exciting photo from the back of my car (if it's uploaded) on the usual SLX22 and Gardiner Backpack (and borrowed barrels from a friend), they've been great so far, as everyone has said.  Maybe I can contribute a bit back to the forum one day, so hello ?

IMG_20190503_092333.jpg

What was your line of work before ?

The job I left was working in the stores at a construction company, long hours and not a job I enjoyed at all... Was burning the candle at both ends (and not for a lot of money either) and my life was starting to suffer, I'm sure many people can relate to that.  Got a bit saved though to help while I get up and running

The job I left was working in the stores at a construction company, long hours and not a job I enjoyed at all... Was burning the candle at both ends (and not for a lot of money either) and my life was starting to suffer, I'm sure many people can relate to that.  Got a bit saved though to help while I get up and running
Good on you. All the best & may the pole be with you. 

Welcome to the window cleaning world my man and the best of luck to you. This job gives out exactly what you put in so I'm sure in no time you'll have a decent round. Wealth of knowledge right here by the good folks on this forum!

Welcome to the window cleaning world my man and the best of luck to you. This job gives out exactly what you put in so I'm sure in no time you'll have a decent round. Wealth of knowledge right here by the good folks on this forum!

Thank you, great atmosphere on here from what I've seen yes

Good stuff mate, I’ve only started out about 3 weeks ago, you’re set up is nearly exactly the same as mine, backpack, clx22, 4 barrells, bucket, squidgys, rags, scrims etc, only you’re car looks more bigger/spacious.

Im at 24 customers so far, keep canvassing mate it’s vital, once I get to like 50-60 customers I’m going to upgrade to a van. I’m really enjoying the job being my own boss. 

Good stuff mate, I’ve only started out about 3 weeks ago, you’re set up is nearly exactly the same as mine, backpack, clx22, 4 barrells, bucket, squidgys, rags, scrims etc, only you’re car looks more bigger/spacious.

Im at 24 customers so far, keep canvassing mate it’s vital, once I get to like 50-60 customers I’m going to upgrade to a van. I’m really enjoying the job being my own boss. 

Thanks, nice one ? 24 customers is great in 3 weeks, 10 is my current mini-goal ?

so hello ?

Alright matey! Welcome to the world of WC!

I'm operating like you - from the car. CLX-27, 6 barrels (blue ones though - that's my sole trader / company colour lol), Gardiner BP and a few other odd bits of stuff lol.

You've done well, I've not been great at flyers or canvassing. Okay, started canvassing last week and getting around 1 customer an hour but i've not spent many hours out there for various reasons. I only seem to canvas for the odd hour, get my customer and then clear up and go home lol. I have a clear day tomorrow so might just stay out..Currently I have 12 customers - 9 repeaters, 3 on-requesters.

Just out of curiosity @Hyzer373 what backpack and pole did you eventually settle on? 

Alright matey! Welcome to the world of WC!

I'm operating like you - from the car. CLX-27, 6 barrels (blue ones though - that's my sole trader / company colour lol), Gardiner BP and a few other odd bits of stuff lol.

Thanks Tango ?

Nice idea with the blue barrels, I can't remember seeing anyone with them before.  I have been thinking about putting some branding or something on the barrels I have, maybe even a big "PURE WATER" sticker on them, just so they look snazzy when I leave them in customers gardens as I work ?

This is what I bought / use although they've jumped dramatically in price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-25-LITRE-25L-NEW-PLASTIC-BOTTLE-JERRY-CAN-WATER-CONTAINER-BLUE-HEAVY-DUTY/401566606309?hash=item5d7f3c23e5:g:IvQAAOSw2YZbtgO~

I got mine for £28 - although they did come with a few dents near the top - perhaps that explains the cheaper pre-jump price. Anyway they're still usable..

The anti glug really does work too - unlike on cheap plastic petrol cans on these bad boys it really is effective.

I am a tad miffed about the price increase though - seems stupid to do that just cos they're blue. Mind you, I've been looking for retractable air hose's just lately and all the ones that are obviously suited to WC with a orange or yellow hose high-vis hose are stupid money. The ones with a black hose / darker colour are available quite cheaply - it's madness.

You've done well, I've not been great at flyers or canvassing. Okay, started canvassing last week and getting around 1 customer an hour but i've not spent many hours out there for various reasons. I only seem to canvas for the odd hour, get my customer and then clear up and go home lol. I have a clear day tomorrow so might just stay out..Currently I have 12 customers - 9 repeaters, 3 on-requesters.

Just out of curiosity @Hyzer373 what backpack and pole did you eventually settle on? 

Cheers mate, I am working from my car just like you, I think with canvassing a lot of it is just luck on the areas you pick and catching people when they are in.

I went with the Gardiner backpack and the Gardiner CLX 22, very pleased with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, I've been lurking for a while I'm afraid, but now I'm coming clean ?

Just started up in Scotland, after researching (lurking?) for a while, currently at 7 customers.  Been helped out a great deal by window cleaner friends, and this forum.  I'm really blown away reading posts by the positive and helpful folks on here, so thank you ?

Here's an exciting photo from the back of my car (if it's uploaded) on the usual SLX22 and Gardiner Backpack (and borrowed barrels from a friend), they've been great so far, as everyone has said.  Maybe I can contribute a bit back to the forum one day, so hello ?

View attachment 16389

Good luck ?

hi , and well done, how long did it take you to find those 7 customers ?

Hi, thank you.  A few jobs were given to me right way by a generous window cleaner friend of mine, he had not done them for some time as he is very busy with other work.

Needless to say I was very grateful, but a few other jobs are tricking in just from friends and family who need a window cleaner.  It's been said before, but it is amazing, if you just tell everyone you speak to that you've started window cleaning you may well find new jobs appearing in front of you ?

EVERYONE has windows!

Back