Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rotary surface cleaner help wanted

Tutster

Hi all i have been involved in the industrial cleaning services for around 30 years working all over the country on refineries large shut downs etc I set my self up around 3 years ago cleaning and restoring  driveways patios roofs stonework etc I've only ever used a gun and basically it's all I have ever known but i think i need to go with times and now I'm looking into these rotary cleaning tools for 2 reasons the first been trying to limit the mess generated  and the 2nd been I think it will help my work load when doing very large driveways my problem is knowing what tool is best fit for purpose lots to choose from and some very crazy prices if anyone could point me in the right direction of a reasonably priced proven one I would be very grateful cheers all 

Hi fella we just use an 18” whirlaway flat surface cleaner. Its great for cleaning large areas quick, however i came up on a particularly tough job yesterday, block paving riddled with moss and a very aggressive type of hard grass growing through it. Petrol strimmer even met its match. i recently invested in a turbo nozzle which saved my bacon yesterday. Had i not had the turbo nozzle there is no way we would have ever got the results we did. It was surface cleaned first followed by a turbo nozzle clean for all the grooves etc. I wouldn't advise just using a turbo nozzle as it makes a hell of a mess. Best to get the bulk of it done with a surface cleaner, rinse and then turbo nozzle and another rinse if its that bad. turbo nozzle hasn't really been needed other than that one job but it proved to be the ace of spades. Of course softwash treatments will help a big deal and i guess the king of the lot would be a hot water/steam system but i imagine you’re going to be looking at big bucks then. Hope this helps! 

Hi fella we just use an 18” whirlaway flat surface cleaner. Its great for cleaning large areas quick, however i came up on a particularly tough job yesterday, block paving riddled with moss and a very aggressive type of hard grass growing through it. Petrol strimmer even met its match. i recently invested in a turbo nozzle which saved my bacon yesterday. Had i not had the turbo nozzle there is no way we would have ever got the results we did. It was surface cleaned first followed by a turbo nozzle clean for all the grooves etc. I wouldn't advise just using a turbo nozzle as it makes a hell of a mess. Best to get the bulk of it done with a surface cleaner, rinse and then turbo nozzle and another rinse if its that bad. turbo nozzle hasn't really been needed other than that one job but it proved to be the ace of spades. Of course softwash treatments will help a big deal and i guess the king of the lot would be a hot water/steam system but i imagine you’re going to be looking at big bucks then. Hope this helps! 
Thanks for your quick response nd gelp Incheck  I will look into them 18 whirlaway  I originally started with the basic fan jet but I very quickly switched to the turbo for the majority of the work brilliant for weed infested areas i really need to invest in a rotary  one asap I am getting some massive driveways lately and it's non stop hard work with a gun would around the £300 mark get me an half decent one my machine does 18litres per minute and upto 4500 psi allegedly lol

never needed to use it much over tick over though good flow and turbo are a great combination I think 

Thanks for your quick response nd gelp Incheck  I will look into them 18 whirlaway  I originally started with the basic fan jet but I very quickly switched to the turbo for the majority of the work brilliant for weed infested areas i really need to invest in a rotary  one asap I am getting some massive driveways lately and it's non stop hard work with a gun would around the £300 mark get me an half decent one my machine does 18litres per minute and upto 4500 psi allegedly lol

never needed to use it much over tick over though good flow and turbo are a great combination I think 
You should be able to pick a whirlaway up for around 400 i think? A rotary turbo nozzle i think you can pick em up for about 20 quid on the net ? your flow rate is more than adequate and the pressure sounds like overkill to me. Our pressure washer is only 12.6 lpm and max 2700 psi and we get the job done so you certainly will with that gear. 

Our insurance wont even cover us above 3600 psi and we are 1000 below that.

i tend to do smaller and medium size drives 30-100 sqm, not many are bigger than that round here. We tend to work on the big type 1930’s semis and small detached houses/bungalows, we dont really work in very large properties as we are in the middle of a city. 

I wouldn’t plan on cleaning above 200 sqm a day it can get a bit ridiculous beyond that point especially if its block paving.

usually something unforseen to contend with as well e.g. bad drainage

i remember once i way underestimated the size of a job. I had picture in my head of the house from memory and my memory was obviously no good. I estimated 200 sqm, it turned out to be just shy of 600sqm of concrete and slabs. Somehow between the two of us we cleaned the lot in 9 & 1/2 hours in a 30 degree heatwave. Hardest days work we’ve done i think. We got it done like but the pressure washer was constantly on, no breaks, 3 visits to the filling station for petrol top ups. Ridiculous. Came out amazing though. Someone was watching over us that day. Never again lol. 

Minimum set up fee of £135 for pressure washing regardless of how small the area is, For block paving say, pressure wash & re-sand £3 sqm, if having softwash hypo treatment + £1 sqm or if it’s less than 50sqm just set a fair rate (i allow for the potential of 2 applications & dwell time you have to take this in to account) if post treatment with bio + a fair rate again.

i use benz products atm as i am concerned that should i use anything else it would warrant my insurance invalid in the event of any mishap. they are the only chemicals i’ve found other than safewash that are fully approved/legal/ & take the environment and general safety in to consideration.

Benz have lightning cleanze which is a hypo based product,  it is approved, legal when used correctly and has it’s own surfactant in it so no need to worry about surfactants etc so its a win for me

Sounds good. We are just looking at doing a bit of soft washing etc so just finding my feet with it. What set up do you guys have. We predominantly do truck mounted access hire and commercial gutter cleaning. 

working off a window cleaning backpack for softwashing, gets the job done. I’m still in the infancy of it all myself. Provides a low flow rate as well so very little overspill and no wasted solution. Application time is obviously slow but when you’re only doing small jobs it doesn’t really matter much

definitely make sure you’ve got ppe - chemical gloves and a full face shield, i wear a respirator also. read through benz site the safety information and procedures really are great. 

I would be careful at 18lpm with an 18 inch whirlaway.  Best speak to someone selling them and make sure it will run efficiently.  No point getting a large cleaner and then having to push it slower than a slug on spice to prevent striping...

I have a BE cleaner and its run really well for 2 years with no issue

I would be careful at 18lpm with an 18 inch whirlaway.  Best speak to someone selling them and make sure it will run efficiently.  No point getting a large cleaner and then having to push it slower than a slug on spice to prevent striping...

I have a BE cleaner and its run really well for 2 years with no issue
I’m using one on 12.6lpm, so i must be a slug on spice, on ice ?

sure feels like it sometimes. Where does the extra flow rate come from though?! Even if the machine is rated to say 18 or 24lpm im pretty certain most peoples pressure at the outside tap will not allow for much more than the 12.6lpm we use ?

use a wheelie bin as a buffer tank.  Start filling when you're setting up, so it's full when you start.  Even then you still run out if using the surface cleaner non-stop...

I hear you. Would all the faffing about not even out the time though? A lot of times filling the wheely bin they’re only 150 litres aren't they? The washer uses 750 odd litres p/hr so I dread to think how much time id spend filling the bin just to get a bit of extra flow rate and then id be pulling all the rubbish & whatever else out & waiting for it to fill. I’m guessing i wouldn’t really save much time but having not done it i guess i cant compare to two. Basic straightforward not overly grubby 50sqm driveway takes me 2-3 hours depending on ease of set up, how sociable  the customer is, i usually have a cup of tea & a bacon sarnie at some point ?

I've got a 15lpm Hyundai which I started out with and a 21lpm loncin.  I only use the Hyundai for very small patios I've softwashed first.  Everything else is easier and faster with the bigger machine.  Don't forget, the wheelie bin is always filling, so you don't stop that often.

Hi adman  what Lpm is yours running at the moment I've got the honda gx 390 with the interpump had this from the start  its being brilliant never let me down upto now touch wood !  i wouldn't hesitate to buy another I've always used a gun  with the turbo even on really big  jobs I was just thinking a surface cleaner might keep my work load down  and generate less mess I draw my water from something similar to your set up connection to an outside tap just can't keep up with demand from the pump on my machine 

I've got a 15lpm Hyundai which I started out with and a 21lpm loncin.  I only use the Hyundai for very small patios I've softwashed first.  Everything else is easier and faster with the bigger machine.  Don't forget, the wheelie bin is always filling, so you don't stop that often.
Ahhhh sorry mate i’m with you now. Doughnut here didnt clock on to that ? makes a lot more sense now. I’m a plumber an all (you’d never believe it)  

Mines 21lpm.  I start filling on arrival, then use surface cleaner to do the bulk of the work.  Depending on size I might need to take a break or two as it refills, then swap to turbo for edges and bits the surface cleaner wasn't up to, then 40deg nozzle for wash down. 

Mines 21lpm.  I start filling on arrival, then use surface cleaner to do the bulk of the work.  Depending on size I might need to take a break or two as it refills, then swap to turbo for edges and bits the surface cleaner wasn't up to, then 40deg nozzle for wash down. 
I have to look into it i must admit I'm quite surprised 18 ltr pm probably won't be enough flow rate thanks for all your help though I never thought I would buy into one of these surface cleaners after 30 years holding a gun doing industrial  high pressure jetting my backs on it's way out and my hands are knackered we call it trigger finger lol cheers all 

Back