Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

flyer information home address ?

riggy

trying to deside how much info to put on the flyers.  Woundered how many on here out there home address in there contact info ?  I like how giving this information might help to show honesty, that im not a rouge trader of some kind.   but then again it feels strange to put that on there aswell. as people could use it to steal my identity or something ? I know this must sound abit paranoid. just woundered how others thought about this.  thanks 

I would never put my home address on a leaflet and I'm more or less sure no one else here would either.

You should list your services and make your branding quite bold.

Window Cleaning is a simple thing, so your leafet should be simple too. Customers pay 10 to 20 pound a month for a window cleaner, they aren't trying to detect a rogue trader.

I had a lot better results from leaflets when they were printed on a better quality of paper. Other than that, just try and get their attention and tell them what you offer.

If you use Google My Business you usually put your address on there and identify your location on Google Maps. I don't see the problem in adding your address in small lettering onto your flyers (unless you're going to do such a bad job that your customers are going to lynch you ?).

I put my home address on the bottom of my business cards in very small lettering - it's never caused me a problem and the customers at least know that I'm legit.

If you use Google My Business you usually put your address on there and identify your location on Google Maps. I don't see the problem in adding your address in small lettering onto your flyers (unless you're going to do such a bad job that your customers are going to lynch you ?).

I put my home address on the bottom of my business cards in very small lettering - it's never caused me a problem and the customers at least know that I'm legit.
Might be wrong on this one then, never even thought of putting it on mine.

No you have a right for concern. I put it on quotation forms but i wouldn’t put it on a flyer or business card. It’s where all your gear and belongings are likely to be, and it’s your place of peace!

Some window cleaners nobody knows them, or their address. I dont really see a problem with that.

people happily pay gypsies who have no known address thousands upon thousands to lay driveways etc.

what happens in the event of a dispute and you’re not home? E.g. someone claims you’ve scratched a window or whatever and rather than go through the procedures you’ve got some twonk banging on your door at 8pm disturbing your mrs and kids “oi where is he” and all that jazz. There are some real odd bods out there so be careful who you work for. You never know what might happen especially if you’re giving your address out willy nilly.

Its one more thing to put you in the line of fire, same with online review pages, if you’re not online, problems stay isolated and small scale, or “private” to a certain degree. There are some very good businesses who people will defame for no good reason and bring the ratings of a hard working person down. I know it’s legitimacy and looks pro and all that jazz, but all i’m saying is if you present a target people are likely to aim at it. 

Theres pros and cons but think about it long and hard. 

Worst case scenario, you’ve done a job on a friday, you’ve packed up for two weeks to go on holiday, you’ve switched your phone off, set off on a jet. Lo and behold the person wasn't happy with their friday afternoon job for one reason or another, they cant get hold of you and you arrive back off holiday to find someones been bashing at your front door trying to get hold of you and in agitation they’ve let your van tyres down ?‍♂️

It can happen...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a chance would I put my address on my leaflets simply because I live on a rough council estate so I’d pick no work up in the posh areas I go to ? 

No you have a right for concern. I put it on quotation forms but i wouldn’t put it on a flyer or business card. It’s where all your gear and belongings are likely to be, and it’s your place of peace!

Some window cleaners nobody knows them, or their address. I dont really see a problem with that.

people happily pay gypsies who have no known address thousands upon thousands to lay driveways etc.

what happens in the event of a dispute and you’re not home? E.g. someone claims you’ve scratched a window or whatever and rather than go through the procedures you’ve got some twonk banging on your door at 8pm disturbing your mrs and kids “oi where is he” and all that jazz. There are some real odd bods out there so be careful who you work for. You never know what might happen especially if you’re giving your address out willy nilly.

Its one more thing to put you in the line of fire, same with online review pages, if you’re not online, problems stay isolated and small scale, or “private” to a certain degree. There are some very good businesses who people will defame for no good reason and bring the ratings of a hard working person down. I know it’s legitimacy and looks pro and all that jazz, but all i’m saying is if you present a target people are likely to aim at it. 

Theres pros and cons but think about it long and hard. 

Worst case scenario, you’ve done a job on a friday, you’ve packed up for two weeks to go on holiday, you’ve switched your phone off, set off on a jet. Lo and behold the person wasn't happy with their friday afternoon job for one reason or another, they cant get hold of you and you arrive back off holiday to find someones been bashing at your front door trying to get hold of you and in agitation they’ve let your van tyres down ?‍♂️

It can happen...

Wot he said.

I'm also abandoning paperwork pretty much. Leaflets are getting me nowhere fast (though i only have thin B&W ones lol) so I'm door knocking. Picking up customers - okay, not many cos i only go out for the odd hour here and there but it works for me so i'm happy with that. Knock, if yes, proceed to clean, finish clean, collect payment, ask if they want me on a semi regular basis (I found the word semi works better than just regular - it sounds less committing even though it still is lol), take their number and then leave them with one of my leaflet failures lol so they have my number.

And that's literally all they get from me - my number. I'm a sole trader, not a company so I'm not handing out my home address to anyone. I do have some DIY invoices that i printed off which to keep the insurers happy I have to mention my initial and surname on along with "t/a <trading name>" but that's it.

Wot he said.

I'm also abandoning paperwork pretty much. Leaflets are getting me nowhere fast (though i only have thin B&W ones lol) so I'm door knocking. Picking up customers - okay, not many cos i only go out for the odd hour here and there but it works for me so i'm happy with that. Knock, if yes, proceed to clean, finish clean, collect payment, ask if they want me on a semi regular basis (I found the word semi works better than just regular - it sounds less committing even though it still is lol), take my number and then leave them with one of my leaflet failures lol so they have my number.

And that's literally all they get from me - my number. I'm a sole trader, not a company so I'm not handing out my home address to anyone. I do have some DIY invoices that i printed off which to keep the insurers happy I have to mention my initial and surname on along with "t/a <trading name>" but that's it.
What are people like when you speak to them. iv tried the door knocking, most ither dont ansaw or thay seem to be warey and dont want to speak. there very abrupt and give off the impresion thay dont want to know.  woundering if I dont have the right way about me to be a door to door sales type.  some people are just good at coming over well.  iv never been very good at meeting people. I get nervas and then people can sence I'm tense, plus being 16.5 stone without carrying any fat on me.  I think people think im up to something and thats reason im tense.  I know I can do the job, its just the selling my self wel bit that I thinks going be the problem. 

What are people like when you speak to them. iv tried the door knocking, most ither dont ansaw or thay seem to be warey and dont want to speak. there very abrupt and give off the impresion thay dont want to know.  woundering if I dont have the right way about me to be a door to door sales type.  some people are just good at coming over well.  iv never been very good at meeting people. I get nervas and then people can sence I'm tense, plus being 16.5 stone without carrying any fat on me.  I think people think im up to something and thats reason im tense.  I know I can do the job, its just the selling my self wel bit that I thinks going be the problem. 
Mate, don’t let your size put you off.

@Part Timer on here gets plenty of work, and he’s 5ft 2 and 27 stone ?

trying to deside how much info to put on the flyers.  Woundered how many on here out there home address in there contact info ?  I like how giving this information might help to show honesty, that im not a rouge trader of some kind.   but then again it feels strange to put that on there aswell. as people could use it to steal my identity or something ? I know this must sound abit paranoid. just woundered how others thought about this.  thanks 
Why tho?

like think of every flyer you have ever looked at do you ever remember seeing an address? unless you are selling a product from that address then there is simply no need.

if i'm wanting my roof fixing i look at the flyer and then google the company and look on Facebook i don't care where they live i care about the standards of work.

don't waste the print room put your website on them and let people check you out. 

Generally most are arrogant morons that I wouldn't P on if they were on fire. I went to one house the other day, the windows were disgusting. Offered my services to get a reply in an arrogant tone (by that i mean nearly screaming) saying "i've just done them 5 minutes ago". I'm a window cleaner, not an idiot, I recognise a clean vs dirty window and they think I'm stupid enough to believe them? Others will say they've already got a window cleaner and they'll expect you to believe that too when you can see black around their window frames. It's quite offensive how they think you're an idiot just because you're a window cleaner.

Honestly, don't worry about it. Most will say no. The odd one here and there will bite and say yes. I'm a totally awful door 2 door salesman. I did gas and leccy moons ago and was awful at it but even I'm getting yes's to window cleaning. Sure some roads will be all no - every single one. Today i went into one and it was all I got - everywhere. What did I do? Gave up, walked back to the car and started on the other side of the (same) road instead and picked up a repeat customer within 6 knocks lol. I finished cleaning that one and ran out of time (had to pick up my little lad) so i'll be back there tomorrow knocking a few more.

Like you, I suffer with nerves. After the first few yes's it starts not to bother you as much but if it's troubling you, breathe deeply, hold it for 5 seconds and breathe back out to calm yourself down. Oh and if you can carry a small bottle of drinking water with you it helps too - if you get nervous, DRINK - it's calming. No's are disappointing but you WILL get yes's. Just don't give up, keep trundling round and keep knocking. Another tip, if it's a bloke they'll almost certainly say no. They don't tend to see dirt on windows like a woman will however if it's a woman, you've got a better chance of success. Oh and project your voice, speak loudly - it will make you feel more confident rather than speaking quietly and being a cowering wreck - again, breathe in deeply and use that when enquiring. My simple line is: "Hi would you like any window cleaning done?"  Of course i do vary it slightly like "I'm just calling round to see if you'd be interested in any window cleaning" but the basic point is the same - do you want your windows cleaned. Most are going to say no and my simple reply is "ok!", turn and walk. Don't waste time saying "thanks anyway, have a nice day" etc, just move on and find that yes.

One other thing, your appearance! Don't look dodgy, smell of weed, dress like a tramp, wear a black and white stripey "burglar" T-shirt etc. Be as smart as you can (with the exception of steel toe cap boots - those can always be a bit scruffy). Make sure your hair is okay, you're clean, not got a *** or joint hanging out your mouth and well spoken - no chav talk innit bruv. You'll find this last piece of advice is the best i can give you - people don't like dodgy looking or sounding people. On the sound bit, speak clearly, don't mumble and be polite!

Also don't be quick to judge people by the state of their windows. Some are crystal clean and will say no. Others will say yes. Some will be filthy and you'll still get that odd mix of yes and no. You really can't tell. The only ones I really don't bother with are those that are clearly run down - rotting doors, junk all over the place etc - they don't give a damn about appearances so are a waste of time.

I'm mulling over offering people a one window (eg living room) or just half a window freebie when i get a no from a filthy window house - eg "okay, how about i clean that one window and if you like the difference you can pay me to do the others?" Be interesting to see how that works if i clean half the pane of glass and leave the other half dirty lol.

Back