Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Terms and conditions for website

Hi fellow window cleaners...

Well after having a belly full of..."dont clean my windows today its raining" and "can you clean at 4pm when I'm home" and people not leaving access to the back despite the text reminder service I feel the need to add terms and conditions to my website so I can refer new and old customers to the terms and conditions when they sign up. My biggest pain in the bottom for want of a better word is people who cancel the night before or on the morning of the due clean, this can have and does have a massive overall affect on cash flow. Within my terms I am going to include residential customers provide 14 days written or text message notice to cancel the service. It seems people only want professionality when it suits them

What ideas would you guys add to terms and conditions? Thanks in advance ?

It sounds like you're just starting out. You will unfortunately get this, you can try & educate the customer but if it happens too often I suggest you just drop them. As you build up a relationship with them and refine your round this will happen less & less.

TBH - I can't see any customer providing 14 days notice for cancelling the service. I wish you good luck in trying to enforce that rule ?.

Of course another option with cancellations is to offer to double the frequency (say from 4 weekly to 8 weekly) but charge 25% extra per clean.

Of course another option with cancellations is to offer to double the frequency (say from 4 weekly to 8 weekly) but charge 25% extra per clean.
Hi and cheers for your comment

Maybe I should go for 7 days notice to cancel then ?

It's my 2nd year and I have been looking on larger companies terms and conditions for ideas.

When 4 weekly's cancel I always offer 8 weekly alternative

Honestly it's the rain thing that pees me right off. I always explain rain guarantee etc to the customer but I swear many of them just switch off...I even direct them to my website to read up on it to cover myself. Terms and conditions are just another protection against customers who mess us about, without terms and conditions it's hard to legally enforce anything. Thankfully most customers are decent though but all new customers will be sent a link to my terms and conditions when they join so there can be no "my cousin twice removed is having a migraine so can we leave the windows today" or some other ridiculous reason to cancel at the last minute 

I used to get a fair bit of this, but over time, I’ve dropped the customers that cancel at the last minute etc. (My favourite excuse was “can you come back tomorrow I’m expecting a parcel to be delivered”,  er, no)

I’ve been quite ruthless trimming the fat so to speak but now I very rarely get messed about. I would agree with others, Window Cleaning isn’t often a contractual thing for domestic customers so adding terms and conditions can be tricky to enforce. 

Maybe instead of terms and conditions why not call it an information page- I understand what you are trying to achieve but in all honestly they will likely be ignored or it will scare potential custards off .

That way when your customer asks you to leave it for some stupid reason you can reply - on the information page

"i want 7 days notice of re arragenment because im trying to remain regular for you and the other 2/300 custards i service"

... I offer a rain gaurantee" its a wet system the rain doesnt affect it im cleaning yesterdays dirt not tomorrows etc "

it might just allow them to see you as a man running a business as opposed to a guy trying to enforce rules on them for something of which they have signed no legal contract to commit to.

Unfortunately it’s part of building a round we had similar issues 20 years ago when we started but now it never happens as I have dumped problem customers , I stress when quoting work in all weathers and year round if they hesitate I suggest they find someone else , only reason for not having them cleaned with me is building work taking place or new windows about to be fitted , never have a problem now , again as for access issues we don’t txt any customer and if they won’t give us a key or access codes then we won’t take the job on simple as that , we have keys and codes to several dozen properties customers love it as no hassle for them , obviously they need to be able to trust you but most of our new customers are referrals from existing customers so it’s not a problem, , I think you need to be firm but friendly when quoting , to weed out the messers , hope you get it sorted over time 

I have had an information for over a year or more now and quotes done via email or Fb are provided with a link to this page, I don't accept doorstep cancellations also if access isn't provided as agreed they get charged at least my minimum price of £7.00 if access isn't provided multiple times then they get charged full price most of mine aren't home and are on GoCardless so they get charged and only had one person drop me which I wasn't bothered about anyway as it was getting to a point were the gate was locked every other time. 

My page isn't all out T&C's I have it worded well across a number of paragraphs with different sub headings with about me, regular and reliable service, insurance etc which I think reads better than a list of T&C's 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Iron Giant sending it as a link is a good idea, i have the same sort of thing on my website bit i doubt its as clear ....  i will rework it and start sending links i think .

Not much need for twenty quid. It’s there if we need it. Feel free to use any of it, that you think could be of use.

I have had an information for over a year or more now and quotes done via email or Fb are provided with a link to this page, I don't accept doorstep cancellations also if access isn't provided as agreed they get charged at least my minimum price of £7.00 if access isn't provided multiple times then they get charged full price most of mine aren't home and are on GoCardless so they get charged and only had one person drop me which I wasn't bothered about anyway as it was getting to a point were the gate was locked every other time. 

My page isn't all out T&C's I have it worded well across a number of paragraphs with different sub headings with about me, regular and reliable service, insurance etc which I think reads better than a list of T&C's 
I like the sound of this, would you be able to send me the link to your information page so I can take a butchers

Thanks in advance 

Latest Posts

Back