Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner 100 degree fan jets

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Viggers

Hi, Just wondering how many of you use fan jets all the time and if so with what brush for domestic window cleaning. I am a pencil jet man to be honest but over the last few days have been experimenting using the 100 degree fan jets with the power on my system up to 40 instead of 16 with pencil jets. I have to say im really impressed, seems to do a great job ive got them fitted in the ultimate orange brush with white bristles in the middle, keeping the brush on the glass when rinsing. It was great on an absolutely filthy new clean I did. eemed to flush everything off and leave a great finish. Im temped to use them on my round but still a bit nervous. Look forward to hearing your comments

Is your controller a Spring type? 16 is a very low setting and 40 isn't that high. I've got the 100's in a 45cm brush that I use for solar panels. I find with the red Gardiners fan jets you need the setting high to get them to work effectively.

Yeah I have found that with the red fans, the black ones seem nice and make a wicked noise. my mate set my system up and its a controller that goes up to 100 bit like a pure freedom thing with up and down arrows and a button and the end showing ps etc

They're OK on hydrophilic glass, I can rinse on no problem and seems a good finish.

On hydrophobic though is a different story, if you rinse on you get sideways spotting from the bristle tips on some glass so I rinse off. Then when you rinse off you can't see where you have rinsed, they just spray mist all over the glass.

When rinsing hydrophobic with pencil jets you can see exactly where you have rinsed, most panes of glass will be almost dry if you rinse well enough. The droplets on the hydrophobic left by the spray mist from the fan jets take forever to dry if there's a little wind around they will attract dirt.

Some people say they can rinse "on" on hydrophobic but I tried it for a couple of weeks and checked a lot of work when dry. It wasn't good for me, I don't mind the odd spot anymore here and there but the finish was unacceptable. Probably doing it wrong???

Thanks Paul, I pride myself on my work and have been going for 12 years, and very nervous about change, maybe I will stick to pencils, but use fans on new cleans etc. what brush you using at the moment mate

I us them all the time, on everything, paired with Medium Mixed Sill Brush. I rinse on the glass on all types of glass and window. For the final rinse I build a head of water at the top of the glass and bring it down with a quick side to side motion of the brush (on the glass)." Simples". 

Thanks Paul, I pride myself on my work and have been going for 12 years, and very nervous about change, maybe I will stick to pencils, but use fans on new cleans etc. what brush you using at the moment mate
I'm using the tucker boars hair a lot, great brush but a bit heavy. I'm also using the extreme 14" with 4 1.8 mm jets a lot too.

I got the 14" rinse bar tonight so I'm looking forward to giving that a blast tomorrow. I have loads of different brushes and I just use whatever I'm in the mood for, keeps me from getting bored mate.

I us them all the time, on everything, paired with Medium Mixed Sill Brush. I rinse on the glass on all types of glass and window. For the final rinse I build a head of water at the top of the glass and bring it down with a quick side to side motion of the brush (on the glass)." Simples". 
Classic Alex Gardiner maneuver, I wonder about that sometimes, if its effective?  How do you go about doing that on large wide panes? 

I tried it once on my own conny doors but got spotting halfway down.

I can't comment on Alex Gardiner's techniques to be honest. I'm self taught, with trial, error and experience gained over the past five years. Large, wide panes; if they're upstairs, I do as described. If they're ground floor, like for instance a shop wìndow. I do a few sweeps right across the top and back. Then if it's really big I'll do the window in four slightly overlapping quarters ; top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right. For the rinse, I'll put the brush against the glass and work it sideways like a vehicle wiper blade but with the pole horizontal and using long square strokes, again bringing down the curtain of water. Wide downstairs windows I do the agitation vertically and again put the brush against the glass sideways and bring down the curtain. I don't believe I can improve on this technique. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the tucker boars hair a lot, great brush but a bit heavy. I'm also using the extreme 14" with 4 1.8 mm jets a lot too.

I got the 14" rinse bar tonight so I'm looking forward to giving that a blast tomorrow. I have loads of different brushes and I just use whatever I'm in the mood for, keeps me from getting bored mate.

Classic Alex Gardiner maneuver, I wonder about that sometimes, if its effective?  How do you go about doing that on large wide panes? 

I tried it once on my own conny doors but got spotting halfway down.
"Spotting half way down" I think you probably didn't build a head of water at the top of the glass and bring it down as a continuous curtain. I'd try it again and see how you get on. ? 

I’m all residential and use 100 degree fans in an Xtreme natural hybrid 26cm brush for just about everything. I have my kit set up to deliver between 2.3-2.5 lpm at the brush. The only other brush I use from time to time is an Ultimate flocked with 100 degree fans for some leaded work.

I think the fan jets would definitely speed me up no end as I am anal with my rinsing bit of an ocd to be honest. As for brushes don't get me started, I can hardly get into my van for them. But I get bored easily and always look to buy more, I am enjoying the ultimate at the moment but how you can clean sills with these is a mystery, I would love a new sill brush, got both gardiners and both xlines. but not tried the universal yet. Hopefully Alex will bring these new ones out soon.

"Spotting half way down" I think you probably didn't build a head of water at the top of the glass and bring it down as a continuous curtain. I'd try it again and see how you get on. ? 

I took an x-line Du-pont brush, the one with the orange inner bristles and cut the bristles down to the same length as the Gardiner ultimate, then I took the whole top row of bristles out and its just like a sill brush, I took the top row of bristles out so the rinse bar can rinse above the bristles without the bristles getting in the way. It's very light now and with it being all Du-pont it agitates really well. I did the same with a tucker dual trim and its aggressive as hell.

1 hour ago, paul alan said:

That's an instruction video, that's why he's taken extra time explaining and demonstrating. I would do that complete wìndow in a time of twenty to thirty seconds in a normal regular wash. Pretty sure Alex would as well in full flow work mode. My technique is a bit different. Here goes : water on, twice across and back on the sill to loosen ingrained dirt (this will then be flushing away nicely while you continue above it) . Twice right across and back on all the top frames right across the full width of the window to start them draining. Vertical overlapping strokes moving across and back twice on one glass and frame at a time. Build head of water at top of glass (one at a time) and bring the curtain down with swift, full width descending sweeps, one glass at a time. Across and back twice on the sill to finish. Once I settled on this technique my speed and quality of work doubled I reckon. I suggest, read and imagine it thoroughly. Rehearse it in your mind and give it a try. The devil is in the detail. I think if you do exactly as I've described you'll find it a revelation. By the way did I mention I use Medium Mixed Sill Brush with 100 degree fan jets for everything. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I watched that video and had a lightbulb moment for my own cleaning technique. I thought if you give the top of the glass a good scrub any water coming down can't be dirty. Now it's a quick wash of the frame, good scrub of the top of the glass like Alex does in the video, up down once each side of the pane to include the side frame then slowly back and forth across the top of the glass again then a quick wiggle down on the glass to rinse off.

Iv'e used an equivalent of the 100 degree fan jets for the past few years. Ones that needed the stock to be drilled out to be fitted (really they're used in agriculture) but the biggest thing is my controller (Pure Freedom Spring) is set to 100 which is maximum. That is by far the best thing I've ever done. Cleaned on 40 when I first started and I use less water and finish quicker on 100

Back