Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Windows, Gutters, ...Drones?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Having a trash day yesterday then got a cracker of a phone call.

"Hello Aperture Services."

"Hello, yeah, is this the window cleaner?"

"It is, how can I help?"

"Alright, so, this is probably a weird one, I mean, maybe you get it all the time, but, can you use your super long ladders to get into a roof? It's just I've crashed my drone!"

"You've..." Burst out laughing. 

The poor guy had lost control of his drone and watched it disappeared into a estate behind some trees. Took him a while but tracked it down on top of someones house. I don't personally use ladders but passed him onto a window cleaning mate of mind who sorted him out. So, anyone else had to do drone recovery yet? Maybe this is where all the money is gonna be at! ?

I lost a small quadcopter a year or two back. I was flying it above the back garden and the school field behind us (not a school day). Anyway gust of wind spins it around... next thing i know it's shooting off over the other side of the school field. Before i could work out what control would send it where, it was gone! Cut the throttle and hope for the best...

Walked round to the schools public gate, couldn't see the damn thing anywhere.. then it dawned on me i was looking at someones private property. Went knocking, couldn't find it anywhere, then realised that if i turned off the transmitter and back on again, I could re-sync with the copter and activate the motors which were loud enough to hear. Luckily in one guys garden i heard it powering up and realised that it WAS still in the school field the other side of his fence. Went back home, climbed the school fence, found copter conveniently hiding in a dip in the school field which explained why i'd previously not seen it lol.

Recovered it and then a couple of days later managed to lodge it in one of the school trees - a good 35 odd ft up. My missus seemed to think i'd easily recover it with a 3 step folding ladder.. Luckily i managed to work it loose with the throttle - propellers did the work - but it could of been a tree in flames as the lipo battery was facing up and they don't like rain! Learnt my lesson and never bothered flying it again after that.

I know several lads that lose drones but usually cause they buy cheaper models and all think the laws of nature won't apply to them.  

Instructions will say 'don't fly in wind above 10mph' but they figure they can fly in a gale and so on. 

If you want to get into this sort of thing and not waste money you have to follow the rules (both of nature and of man) or spend some decent coin to beat nature.  

I fly a Mavic 2 Pro says can fly in winds of up to 22mph but can actually handle much higher has six axis sensors so almost impossible to crash into stuff and built in GPS so will auto return home when battery reaches certain level. 

Not cheap but cheaper than losing two or three cheaper ones. 

I know several lads that lose drones but usually cause they buy cheaper models and all think the laws of nature won't apply to them.  

Instructions will say 'don't fly in wind above 10mph' but they figure they can fly in a gale and so on. 

If you want to get into this sort of thing and not waste money you have to follow the rules (both of nature and of man) or spend some decent coin to beat nature.  

I fly a Mavic 2 Pro says can fly in winds of up to 22mph but can actually handle much higher has six axis sensors so almost impossible to crash into stuff and built in GPS so will auto return home when battery reaches certain level. 

Not cheap but cheaper than losing two or three cheaper ones. 
Yeah if your gonna do it do it properly. It’s not a cheap hobby to get into, but then what is!

I wanna get back into RC but with a proper nitro chopper. I got a raptor 30 2nd version here but never managed to complete it (expensive hobby as they say - more so than drones). I also want to get into drones too but again.. expensive. I guess I'm gonna have to scrub a lot of windows.. lol

Latest Posts

Back