Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do I get to this window?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Louis

Hi guys,

I'm very new to the game and was doing a first clean today, there was a window out the back that I just couldn't get to. I didn't want to put the ladder against the gutter and walk on a slanted, slate tiled roof.

I ended up not cleaning it and saying to the customer that I would come back with a different ladder next time!

How would you go about cleaning this window? (top left of house on the right). thanks

20190510_101852.jpg

Swivel gooseneck others have reccomended is a good shout, makes the normal work easier. As for longer goosenecks, you need to way it up if it’s worth it. Discuss with customer. Most are fine with awkward windows being missed. Do both sides of it open? You could always trad it from inside. End of the day often best knocking off a pound or two and just not doing them to save strain on your body. 

22 foot pole & if necessary stand on one of these just to get extra height:

s-l640.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Or use a ladder like I have in my van. Stand it as an A frame near the double doors and reach straight over the top. Could reach it with 18 footer all day long. So handy. 

E637D30E-2C93-4746-AFDF-6B7181B5F1A1.jpeg

Hi guys,

I'm very new to the game and was doing a first clean today, there was a window out the back that I just couldn't get to. I didn't want to put the ladder against the gutter and walk on a slanted, slate tiled roof.

I ended up not cleaning it and saying to the customer that I would come back with a different ladder next time!

How would you go about cleaning this window? (top left of house on the right). thanks

View attachment 16419

Hi Louis,

why not go the traditional route & ask the customer if u can do from the inside or maybe even hop out on to the flat roof,

saves spending unnecessary dosh or taking risks,

Hi Louis,

why not go the traditional route & ask the customer if u can do from the inside or maybe even hop out on to the flat roof,

saves spending unnecessary dosh or taking risks,
Yer because a ladder is unnecessary item to spend dosh on??? Try going inside walking through customers house coming back in with dirty shoes. Defo not the route to go down. Don’t be a penny pincher be professional. 

Yer because a ladder is unnecessary item to spend dosh on??? Try going inside walking through customers house coming back in with dirty shoes. Defo not the route to go down. Don’t be a penny pincher be professional. 
Thanks for that Steve in my experience you needn’t go outside you could do from inside, not being a penny pincher just stating the bleeding obvious!!!

I maybe wrong but that roof looks like a Guardian roof, walking through clients houses because you don't have the tools to carry out a regular window cleaning service on a standard house is a no no and I've no doubt like most they will be at work. 

I use the Extreme 35 and I'd stand as far to the right as I can and get it from the 45 degree angle. Get a lot of them like this (y) 

I use the Extreme 35 and I'd stand as far to the right as I can and get it from the 45 degree angle. Get a lot of them like this (y) 

How does your back cope with that? - I use the CLX27 and at full reach on the almost horizontal i was struggling. Back ain't quite been the same since lol. At 35ft I think it would tip me over!

How does your back cope with that? - I use the CLX27 and at full reach on the almost horizontal i was struggling. Back ain't quite been the same since lol. At 35ft I think it would tip me over!

The Extreme is really light. Don't get me wrong, they're awkward but more than doable ?

On the subject of ladders I got myself some of these little giants and it’s an absolutely cracking bit of kit for getting over gates and getting to tricky windows. I think they normally retail at about £250-300 but I got mine from costco for £180. 

I’d stand them up by the doors climb up and pole it. 

66845669-F377-4C96-B246-69B663E25378.jpeg

A8251901-F491-44F4-9023-EA41200F4590.jpeg

C3A0AF37-78B5-42A7-AFDE-FA40B4C86A4A.jpeg

Yes they are very good we use them for the insides of conservatory’s but they are very heavy we have the 5 rung version with self levellers as we need the height in a steps configuration 

Hi guys,

View attachment 16419

those windows are easy to clean with a 25 ft pole,i have loads on some parts of my round(i use a SLX/xtreme hybrid pole with xtreme brush)

I had one like  this,   they got a massive long kitchen extension.  totally blocks bedroom window access by pole.     could not be bothered using stepladder to balance on ,   I simply said I cannot reach bedrooms with pole..   end of,   cant be assed  with hassle   as I would have to charge extra they would not be happy 

cannot  be bothered now with being mr nice guy, pleasing everyone.    you get no thanks

cheers for replies everyone. I bought a Phoenix 35 and can now clean it by using the top of the roof to take some of the weight of the pole, when cleaning front on. My back could not handle tackling this from the side!

Back