Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

See These Hand Prints...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

Do you reckon you would miss them using WFP? Bloke rang me up saying they're on the outside and it doesn't look like the rear has been cleaned at all. Cleaned today. Ignore the other marks on the glass. I am going back to take a look but can't get there until Thursday. 

IMG_0486.JPG

If there greasy, might miss them? Might be a trick of the light if missed them.  maybe some some small person had been baking n made a mess after u cleaned them. Sometimes i think ive rinse well,then you see some little bits. Annoying tho,not knowing if its a chancer or a mistake by you 

In all honesty a wfp gliding over the glass isnt likely to take ingrained hand prints off by just lightly gliding over the glass once or twice and rinsing. on a warm - hot day be especially careful as things bake on to the glass and are a lot harder to remove. Be wary of footballs that have been kicked against patio doors, and also marks from dogs etc. Sometimes greasy prints really are that greasy. Hate to say it but i reckon you could have simply not removed them on the clean. No proof of course but ?‍♂️ I would give them the benefit of the doubt & clean it. Easy to rectify the sky wont fall ?

it is annoying but it takes a genuine mishap every now and again to remind us how careful we need to be. Very easy to get carried away maintenance cleaning. 

In all honesty a wfp gliding over the glass isnt likely to take ingrained hand prints off by just lightly gliding over the glass once or twice and rinsing. on a warm - hot day be especially careful as things bake on to the glass and are a lot harder to remove. Be wary of footballs that have been kicked against patio doors, and also marks from dogs etc. Sometimes greasy prints really are that greasy. Hate to say it but i reckon you could have simply not removed them on the clean. No proof of course but ?‍♂️ I would give them the benefit of the doubt & clean it. Easy to rectify the sky wont fall ?

it is annoying but it takes a genuine mishap every now and again to remind us how careful we need to be. Very easy to get carried away maintenance cleaning. 

You could be right. The annoying thing is that I can’t inspect them until Thursday as I’m working miles away from them for 2 days. If it is me and I’m not convinced it is it will give a kick up the ****. I’ve offered to do a free internal clean if it’s my fault.

? dude it happens. Dont worry about it. How many customers do you have? How many individual cleans do you do a month.  How many times do you make a mistake or overlook something.

Now compare that to how many complaints you get. Im sure it will be less than 0.2 as a percentage.

when you're doing hundreds of cleans with hundreds of happy custys you must be doing a great job 99% of the time.

even mcdonalds have probably sent out a bun with no burger in it at some point ? 

i’ve had a few. Was on the last clean of the day once, my mother rang me saying she had a leak under the sink, i went ahhh shoot packed the gear up went home to fix that, the call put me off what i was doing and i forgot to clean the kitchen window ?‍♂️

Another time at the height of last summer in the heatwave i had a bird poo baked on to the glass, it was so bright i could barely see what i was cleaning even with shades on, the light reflecting off was blinding. I didnt even know it was on there if im honest. Standard maintenance clean procedure. Custy text me about it i said yeah no problem in all honesty it was so bright i couldn't see what i was cleaning. he said not to worry i understand how bright it must be this time of year. He lent out the window and wiped it off himself to save me a trip. Legend.

?‍♂️ What can ya do mate 

I had a similar one a few months back. Customer got in touch to tell me her mate had stuck her nose into the glass as a joke at the weekend.

I cleaned them on the Monday and did not notice the nose mark, it was a bit like a finger print.

She rang me the day later to ask why hadn't it cleaned off.. I said maybe her mate had oil based makeup on or fake tan on her nose.

Anyway I went back looked a the window and I was surprised i had missed it. Could of been the strong sunlight on the day of the clean along with wetting the glass which caused me to miss it.

Anyway I sprayed the window with a bit of Virosol and cleaned it off..

I just try and have a good look now before I clean the window and check for oily marks...

Personally, I wouldn't have missed them. Whether they came up clean or not is a different matter.

Go back Thursday and have a look.

If they are on the outside, then...yes they should be clean (offer to do the inside for free also).

I would trad both the outside and inside to be sure. 

If they are on the inside, I would dump for being a PITA.

But that's just me. 

Hate to say it but yes it could have been missed we do some shop fronts and on a couple of occasions  had a similar thing happen looked ok when wet but once it dried looked terrible, on close inspection I think someone had put there greasy hands on the glass after eating a kebab had to go over the window with an applicator with strong soap mix to remove it . ?? luckily it was only 5 muinits  down the road so not a problem, still annoying though 

I had a similar one a few months back. Customer got in touch to tell me her mate had stuck her nose into the glass as a joke at the weekend.

I cleaned them on the Monday and did not notice the nose mark, it was a bit like a finger print.

She rang me the day later to ask why hadn't it cleaned off.. I said maybe her mate had oil based makeup on or fake tan on her nose.

Anyway I went back looked a the window and I was surprised i had missed it. Could of been the strong sunlight on the day of the clean along with wetting the glass which caused me to miss it.

Anyway I sprayed the window with a bit of Virosol and cleaned it off..

I just try and have a good look now before I clean the window and check for oily marks...

This is one of the best window cleaning tips to working smarter. Look for marks and bird stikes on top and bottom windows before starting to clean. Attend to them first and then you will then be able to decide how much attention each of the windows then need for 'spotless' results.

This was the essence of a tip that was relaid to me by a local window cleaner many years ago. I don't always do it though. ?

Hate to say it but yes it could have been missed we do some shop fronts and on a couple of occasions  had a similar thing happen looked ok when wet but once it dried looked terrible, on close inspection I think someone had put there greasy hands on the glass after eating a kebab had to go over the window with an applicator with strong soap mix to remove it . ?? luckily it was only 5 muinits  down the road so not a problem, still annoying though 

I am new to window cleaning and notice these a lot. Quite a few of my jobs are sunlite in the evening - this really makes it obvious (especially from inside the property ) any blemish. I clean a lot of seaside property. I am curious as to how much difference hotwater makes to removing these marks? It feels silly going back over work again after at first glance you feel like you have done a good, thorough job. Always try to be learning so any input on this would much appreciated. 

If they are on the inside, I would dump for being a PITA.

But that's just me. 

But you'd expect them to forgive you if it was your mistake - and continue to hire you.

Same rule should apply the other way round too. If they make a mistake you should forgive them too and continue to give them a chance.

PITA customers who are continually causing problems are fair enough but the odd hiccup here and there shouldn't be a big thing.

I am new to window cleaning and notice these a lot. Quite a few of my jobs are sunlite in the evening - this really makes it obvious (especially from inside the property ) any blemish. I clean a lot of seaside property. I am curious as to how much difference hotwater makes to removing these marks? It feels silly going back over work again after at first glance you feel like you have done a good, thorough job. Always try to be learning so any input on this would much appreciated. 

Hit water makes ales a huge difference on salty windows takes a fraction of the time of using cold we do loads of work some within 5 meters of the sea  and they are encrusted every time with salt , however hot water will not remove heavy grease on its own a finger hark hear and there yes but if someone has a lot of grease on there hands then you need a de greaser we put a bit of Virosol on the brush give it a rub and rinse job done as spruce said a quick look before starting should show up any problems but we all miss the occasional bit now and then 

I had a customer call me back a few years back because there was a hand print on their new kitchen window that they thought was on the outside. I couldn't see it on the outside when I'd cleaned it but when the sun shone through there it was. It was actually inside the double glazed unit. They had to call the company back to replace it.

this is where cleaning with very hot pure water helps a lot,esp during the warmer months.....

Hit water makes ales a huge difference on salty windows takes a fraction of the time of using cold we do loads of work some within 5 meters of the sea  and they are encrusted every time with salt , however hot water will not remove heavy grease on its own a finger hark hear and there yes but if someone has a lot of grease on there hands then you need a de greaser we put a bit of Virosol on the brush give it a rub and rinse job done as spruce said a quick look before starting should show up any problems but we all miss the occasional bit now and then 
Boars hair and natural fiber are very good at removing this kind of thing, 100x better than normal bristles.

This is one of the best window cleaning tips to working smarter. Look for marks and bird stikes on top and bottom windows before starting to clean. Attend to them first and then you will then be able to decide how much attention each of the windows then need for 'spotless' results.

This was the essence of a tip that was relaid to me by a local window cleaner many years ago. I don't always do it though. ?
Checking first has been a huge time and energy saver for me, as when cleaning "blind" I was scrubbing away for dear life to make sure there was nothing left on the glass. Now spending a second or two to identify any issues first, I can spend much less time and effort on the rest of the glass.

Do you mean at removing salt or grease ?? 
Greasy marks like hand prints etc. Try it out on snail trails, so much quicker and easier.

The natural fiber is like using a mop to clean the glass, nylon or Dupont bristle tips only do so much, with natural fiber or boars hair you're using the whole length of the bristle not just the tip.

I wouldn't be without now.

Checking first has been a huge time and energy saver for me, as when cleaning "blind" I was scrubbing away for dear life to make sure there was nothing left on the glass. Now spending a second or two to identify any issues first, I can spend much less time and effort on the rest of the glass.

Greasy marks like hand prints etc. Try it out on snail trails, so much quicker and easier.

The natural fiber is like using a mop to clean the glass, nylon or Dupont bristle tips only do so much, with natural fiber or boars hair you're using the whole length of the bristle not just the tip.

I wouldn't be without now.

Ok that’s intresting , but are brushes like that ok with hot water ?? What brush do you use ?. Thanks 

Ok that’s intresting , but are brushes like that ok with hot water ?? What brush do you use ?. Thanks 
I can see them being awesome with hot! 

I use the extremes with natural bristle, they are deceptively good at scrubbing. To look at them you wouldn't think it because of that natural bristle they are better than some brushes twice the weight.

I also have the tucker boars hair, that brush the bee's knees at shifting muck but at 260-280 grams when dry is a beast if using it all day.

The Gardiner Dupont hybrid is a very very good brush, at 180 grams its ideal for daily use. I would like the Dupont bristles to be a bit stiffer though. When using natural bristle you can really feel the brush "grab" the glass, if you push down on it a lot it be a bit harder work, but when you need the extra scrubbing power it's unmatched.

I bought one of them Phantom hybrids too, I wouldn't recommend it, its ****!

The glass is always cleaner when using hybrids/boars hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see them being awesome with hot! 

I use the extremes with natural bristle, they are deceptively good at scrubbing. To look at them you wouldn't think it because of that natural bristle they are better than some brushes twice the weight.

I also have the tucker boars hair, that brush the bee's knees at shifting muck but at 260-280 grams when dry is a beast if using it all day.

The Gardiner Dupont hybrid is a very very good brush, at 180 grams its ideal for daily use. I would like the Dupont bristles to be a bit stiffer though. When using natural bristle you can really feel the brush "grab" the glass, if you push down on it a lot it be a bit harder work, but when you need the extra scrubbing power it's unmatched.

I bought one of them Phantom hybrids too, I wouldn't recommend it, its ****!

The glass is always cleaner when using hybrids/boars hair.

I have tried the DuPont x line brushes , they were absolutely useless did one house with each and they have sat in the garage on the shelf ever since ??

just been on Gardiners web site and the extream natural bristle isn’t suitable for hot water ????

Back