Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2nd floor flat?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

strech

Cleaning 2nd floor flat windows water coming down on 1st and ground floor windows of  other flats, any one had agro from the neigbours below?

It’s been covered several times before. If the customer complains below, you can ask them if they would like theirs cleaning, if they have a window cleaner already then you cannot go leaving your water marks all over theirs. So in this case you would have to clean below for free. It’s best to always get the customers below before getting the above flat, if not you have problems. Like I’ve said search it you will see previous discussions

It’s been covered several times before. If the customer complains below, you can ask them if they would like theirs cleaning, if they have a window cleaner already then you cannot go leaving your water marks all over theirs. So in this case you would have to clean below for free. It’s best to always get the customers below before getting the above flat, if not you have problems. Like I’ve said search it you will see previous discussions
i clean 30+ flats all in one block.....some ground floor flats i dont clean......its tough luck if they dont like water dripping on their windows.....im not cleaning theirs for free.....

what exactly are they gonna do about it anyway?i think some of them are too scared to say anything to me!......???

i clean 30+ flats all in one block.....some ground floor flats i dont clean......its tough luck if they dont like water dripping on their windows.....im not cleaning theirs for free.....

what exactly are they gonna do about it anyway?i think some of them are too scared to say anything to me!......???

That’s your option and your entitled to it, bet you wouldn’t feel like that if you lived in a bottom flat. ??

That’s your option and your entitled to it, bet you wouldn’t feel like that if you lived in a bottom flat. ??

Yes this can be a problem my reply is who do you complain to when it rains ?? It’s just a fact of life gravity is a scientific fact water will come down on to there windows it cannot be altered , we do some flats and have had this situation the owners of the blocks of flats are quite happy with us cleaning just the top flats so any complaints I refer them to the building owners saying what we are doing is approved by them , we certainly will not clean lower ones for free , I accept that they might not like it but if they don’t want to have this happen they have two choices have there windows cleaned at the same time or move to a detached property , so it will not happen 

I knocked flats on the head rapid because of these problems. Any building of multi occupancy always turns in to drama. Been threatened on a number of occasions and often have had abuse hurled

out by people on lower or ground floors, so i packed it all in.

there should be a maintenance department where flats are concerned and i believe its best that one window cleaner does the whole block.

plus i got tired of climbing up & down stairs all the time.

we have 2 flats left on the rounds, both are very elderly and i keep them because there are never any problems below but no way would i take on any more now, too many problems with nightmare neighbors

I just offered downstairs a quick free rinse off of their windows - took me a

couple mins for the inconvenience and makes good relations for everyone involved (downstairs had a WC already) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it per flat. Some neighbours complain but can be talked round, others just want to cause problems. Lost good work cause of it. Also gained some customers through it.

I do find the whole thing a bit selfish, though. I understand you don’t want your windows ruined after you’ve paid to have them cleaned, but in doing so your effectively saying you don’t care your neighbours can’t have there windows cleaned. This is especially apparent on blocks were someone is trading the bottoms and maybe first floor on the cheap, and then not bothering offering a service to any higher up. You get called in to do the higher ones and then the lower ones complain cause the water cause the dirt on their (normally filthy) frames to drip onto the windows. But they won’t switch to you cause you will charge them more than £2.50. 

couple mins for the inconvenience and makes good relations for everyone involved (downstairs had a WC already) 

That’s what I do, everybody’s happy???

I don't take on flats anymore. I have done upstair flats in the past. Occasionally got moans from those below. My answer was that folk upstairs were entitled to have their flats serviced. Bigger problem was getting payment and the time it took, nowhere for them to safely leave the payment, climbing stairs to get no answer, or customer, not having a cheque book, having to "just pop to the shop to get cash". Then deciding to get shopping while they were there. As I said, I don't take flats on any more. Speed is too important for me to put up with messers. I like to fire into it, get the job done and get home. Other things to do outside of work. 

I do two small block of flats both next to each other all first floor, approx 8 probably my best earning hour on my books, never had a complaint for the flats underneath. 

If I did have a complaint I would refer them to the above flat owner to explain why I can’t clean them. 

Back