Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Windys windys everywhere!

Tango

So today i spent the longest ever time out knocking - a whopping 5 hours! Yes, you got me, I had a empty day!

I got one custy, nearly didn't as he initially said no but then changed his mind when i was leaving his neighbours - and called me back. Now a 6 weekly...

The rest of the day i might as well have written off before i'd started. Not one customer. Not a single one. Then I found out why...

Anyone like to take a guess at what happened to me yet again? lol 

Seriously cannot believe it... I really can't...

So today i spent the longest ever time out knocking - a whopping 5 hours! Yes, you got me, I had a empty day!

I got one custy, nearly didn't as he initially said no but then changed his mind when i was leaving his neighbours - and called me back. Now a 6 weekly...

The rest of the day i might as well have written off before i'd started. Not one customer. Not a single one. Then I found out why...

Anyone like to take a guess at what happened to me yet again? lol 

Seriously cannot believe it... I really can't...
I am no good at guessing just tell me ? but seriously you can't just expect for people to be signing up every day, I have been established over 19 years and I consider myself to be the most visible windy in my local area as in signed van, website and FB page which others don't have but I don't get droves of people signing up every day or every week

You have done really well to do 5 hrs canvassing keep it up and don't lose heart we are now at a time of the year were more people are looking for a windy, so just keep on pushing on and you will succeed 

I am no good at guessing just tell me

Another windy living in the road lol.

Pretty much every road bar 3 or 4 has had a windy living there this last few of weeks. I'm literally astounded by how many windys have suddenly cropped up in the area that we've never seen before - not once. That's not the worst either, while canvassing that road yesterday and getting absolutely nowhere not only did I find out there was one living at the end of the road, another drove past too - talk about omens lol. I gave up knocking and just started dropping leaflets instead of wasting time getting negative replies from folks. Seriously it's like the universe instantaneously creates living breathing windys wherever i go lol.

Right.. enough moaning... must get on as i have some spare hours today and obviously need to find another windy lol

Another windy living in the road lol.

Pretty much every road bar 3 or 4 has had a windy living there this last few of weeks.

Maybe it's like when you buy a new car and then start seeing them everywhere ?

I've seen 3 different groups of window cleaners doing separate houses in my street in the last few weeks, (2 traditional and 1 WFP) the truth is I just probably never paid much attention before I started myself.

Well i just been on yell.com and counted 34 windys in my town - yes, 34. That includes sole traders & business's with multiple cleaners. There's another couple that i know of but didn't see listed too so that's 38..

No wonder today was another uphill struggle.. 0 custys before you ask lol

My missus said i should go the other side of town to where we used to live. Looking on yell.com saved me wasting my time, the guaranteed windy I'd run into lives at number 88  :banghead3:

Ah well.. .he's a load of emoji to cheer everyone up lol (by that i mean mainly me lol):

:1f609: :1f44d: :1f603: :1f61c: :2_thumbs_up_-_animated: :beerchug: :delusional: :window-cleaner-emoticon: ☺️ :dancingparty: :groups_cuddle:

Well i just been on yell.com and counted 34 windys in my town - yes, 34. 

Cloak and dagger time...... phone them all pretending to be a potential customer needing a quote...... number that actually answer.... 6........ number that actually turn up to quote.... 2.  

Now you know how much competition you have. 

Our 'Turf' covers literally hundreds of square miles... Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Leicestershire.  

See how many thousands of window cleaners pop up for that!  ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly any up here in Paisley maybe its to do with the license. In the last month I have heard of 3 who have chucked it in, maybe the good weather. I will be heading for 3 days a month now after getting a street next to the one I do. I now realise that the more customers means more in the future because my old customers give my name out. 

Had 10 new enquiries so far this week,  3 signed up 4 weekly and 4 to quote tomorrow. 

Had 10 new enquiries so far this week,  3 signed up 4 weekly and 4 to quote tomorrow. 
7 new jobs this week so far (windows)

1 drive to pressure wash and 1 to price up Saturday and loads of windies round here.. in fact I have a customer with a windy living next door 

The weather is bringing em out the woodwork @Den

Gonna be a busy few weeks now I think

7 new jobs this week so far (windows)

1 drive to pressure wash and 1 to price up Saturday and loads of windies round here.. in fact I have a customer with a windy living next door 
Happy days hopefully they are good clients that’s what I always hope for ?

The weather brings them out and the new clients only 1 behind you at the moment @Dave B but still counting had over 10 enquires but some are not in the area I cover or I am too expensive otherwise I would have had more sign-ups. 

am too expensive otherwise I would have had more

Enquiry:  Ohh... that's too expensive

Me: No problem luv, we appreciate not everyone can afford to pay for a quality service.  ??  

Enquiries this week?  Bonkers (but that's thanks to our other company of course) sign ups = 34 but that is across 4 franchises. 

Me = 7 more from a couple of hours door knock on Tuesday. 

The work is there for anyone that wants it. 

Some quick points on getting customers.  And I write this bearing in mind that some will argue that it shouldn't be all work and there has to be a quality of life etc........ and they are right, but when starting out you need to live and breathe this business to get the customers coming. 

1:  Directories like Yell are free but you will get pestered with loads of calls from there sales team to sell you the 'premium' packages (waste of time)  I don't recall last customer we got from the likes of Yell  

2: A good website with good S.E.O. will pay for itself many times over but can be costly to start.  However even a basic website is better than no website. 

3: A few business cards and some good footwear is the fastest way to get customers. Go chap those doors and ask 'hello, just wondering if you need a regular window cleaner?'  Bad days are rough but good days are worth their weight in gold, literally. 

4: You ordered 50'000 leaflets, they're sitting in boxes in your living room...... well they aren't going to get you any customers there are they? Boots on and start stuffing letter boxes. 

The return on leaflet drops is about 1% so dropping 100 leaflets and wondering why you don't have a business yet is common place. You literally need to drop tens of thousands. 

5: Ahh it's 1pm i've finished last job, i'll go home and wait for phone to ring!  (Give up now and sell your gear on ebay) 

6: Got your vehicle signed?  No good parked on your drive.  Prime time as close to the doors as possible at your local supermarket or other place of high traffic footfall.   If you got the time see if you can park up as a stall on market day and hand out leaflets.  We done this before to great success. 

7: Got your work shirts printed up? Wear them everywhere, I even put mine on for a slow roll around the supermarket when Mrs Green Pro does the weekly shop.  Yep I get at least 1 person ask per week. Best result was 4 enquiries in an hours shop ?

Just cause a windy (and not all that claim to be are serious window cleaners, plenty of buck bob dole boys out there) lives on a street doesn't mean a thing. They probably don't even have a single customer on that street. 

The minute you stop caring about non existent competition the sooner you'll start to grow.  The competition to watch are not the ones that answer the door 'yeah i'm a windy' blah blah.....  but the ones you see REPEATEDLY out and about working hard at it...  and what you'll find with these guys is they are going to be a gold mine of useful local information for you as I never met a 'professional' window cleaner that wouldn't take a few minutes to chat to a noob an help out with advice.  Not competition at all but  a wealth of mentors.  (Just don't ask me any questions) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to one of my customers Wednesday who mentioned how nice the weather is for window cleaning, I told her it is more preferable when it is slightly overcast, but what she will notice  is that all of a sudden there will be windies turning up all over the place knocking on doors trying to get jobs....but in a couple of visits when the weather changes they will disappear and get their beer money some other way.

Back