Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaking pole, cant see why.

ks789

Hi all,

I would've looked up but when I typed in couldnt find any info. Ive had this before once, where water leaked down the inside of pole and soaks you. it was in winter and bloomin cold. I cant for the life of me remember how I sorted it. I cant find any holes/leaks in the pole hose. Its not a huge amount, and can still clean with it but gets you soaked and is annoying. Its screwed in right like I say. and all seems ok but guess somethings amiss. Any ideas???

many thanks

I find this happens when my brush head is pointed upwards too much @ks789

When I took over my son in laws SLX22 when he gave up window cleaning I noticed that the top clamp that secures the angle adapter to the top section was underneath rather than on top. He said it stopped water running down the outside of the pole.

You say water is running down the inside of the pole. This means you have a leak somewhere, either in the hose itself or at a joiner. If you are using a Univalve then check the coupler at the brush head. That coupler can take a bit of flack and the pole hose can pull out a little.

We have a hose joiner inside the pole just before the Univalve on all our poles. That also leaked as well a bit once even using Exceed's pole hose especially designed for the Univalve. On the ends of both these hoses ends that go into these joiners I have fitted hose inserts that I purchased from Exceed.

https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/shop/hoses-connectors/tube-strengthening-insert/

Hi all,

I would've looked up but when I typed in couldnt find any info. Ive had this before once, where water leaked down the inside of pole and soaks you. it was in winter and bloomin cold. I cant for the life of me remember how I sorted it. I cant find any holes/leaks in the pole hose. Its not a huge amount, and can still clean with it but gets you soaked and is annoying. Its screwed in right like I say. and all seems ok but guess somethings amiss. Any ideas???

many thanks

I didn't/don't understand what you mean by that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this happens when my brush head is pointed upwards too much @ks789

When I took over my son in laws SLX22 when he gave up window cleaning I noticed that the top clamp that secures the angle adapter to the top section was underneath rather than on top. He said it stopped water running down the outside of the pole.

You say water is running down the inside of the pole. This means you have a leak somewhere, either in the hose itself or at a joiner. If you are using a Univalve then check the coupler at the brush head. That coupler can take a bit of flack and the pole hose can pull out a little.

We have a hose joiner inside the pole just before the Univalve on all our poles. That also leaked as well a bit once even using Exceed's pole hose especially designed for the Univalve. On the ends of both these hoses ends that go into these joiners I have fitted hose inserts that I purchased from Exceed.

https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/shop/hoses-connectors/tube-strengthening-insert/

I didn't/don't understand what you mean by that.
Yes funny enough this is an slx22. i meant the end bit is screwed in and the bit where you join in to the pole hose from the brush. So daft that I had a similar thing last year but cant remember how I resolved it. Thats telling me its/was something simple. I have had the hose out with it running but couldnt see any leak, only when up in the air so will trial and error when out today,

cheers chaps.

Along with the causes already mentioned I also found this happened occasionally when using pvc pole hose. It would split just where it enters the pole, then when I extended the pole the split would go inside the pole and the fine spray from the split would dribble down the inside of the pole and out the base

Yes funny enough this is an slx22. i meant the end bit is screwed in and the bit where you join in to the pole hose from the brush. So daft that I had a similar thing last year but cant remember how I resolved it. Thats telling me its/was something simple. I have had the hose out with it running but couldnt see any leak, only when up in the air so will trial and error when out today,

cheers chaps.
Most likely cause is that the pole hose or the gooseneck hose (Orange) is not fully pushed into the push fit connector inside the pole. When extended and with the weight of the pole hose pulling on it, it may then leak.

Solution is to check that both are fully pushed into the connector - these need a double push, first to locate the hose in the fitting and second to fully seal it.

Along with the causes already mentioned I also found this happened occasionally when using pvc pole hose. It would split just where it enters the pole, then when I extended the pole the split would go inside the pole and the fine spray from the split would dribble down the inside of the pole and out the base

Yes - I've had this. It was because I was storing the pole in a piece of soil pipe fixed to the inside of the roof of the van and the pole hose was obviously kinked when stored. This kink eventually became a split. I've gone tubeless now, so not a problem for me anymore.

Most likely cause is that the pole hose or the gooseneck hose (Orange) is not fully pushed into the push fit connector inside the pole. When extended and with the weight of the pole hose pulling on it, it may then leak.

Solution is to check that both are fully pushed into the connector - these need a double push, first to locate the hose in the fitting and second to fully seal it.
yes that was it, drama over. cheers all.

Another issue I sometimes have as others have described, is with splashback from some ledges. Gets on the pole and runs down the outside and wets your hands. The way I've dealt with this is to make a 'washer' widget (for want of a better word) out of some butyl rubber I had knocking about from a pond project some years ago and fitted it over the pole just below the clamp on section #2 of the pole. Any water running down the pole drips off when it reaches the 'washer.' You do however, have to make sure the hole you cut in it is a good fit to the pole otherwise the water will run under it. It's simple but effective.

pole widget.jpg

Another issue I sometimes have as others have described, is with splashback from some ledges. Gets on the pole and runs down the outside and wets your hands. The way I've dealt with this is to make a 'washer' widget (for want of a better word) out of some butyl rubber I had knocking about from a pond project some years ago and fitted it over the pole just below the clamp on section #2 of the pole. Any water running down the pole drips off when it reaches the 'washer.' You do however, have to make sure the hole you cut in it is a good fit to the pole otherwise the water will run under it. It's simple but effective.

View attachment 16469

I like this simple idea!?

Back