Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help on starting up

JJ1997

Alright 

fort I’d join up to ask some in the know Was watching a window cleaner from my bedroom window across the road the other day. He had the brush on a stick thing, they seem handy & quick

How muxh does it cost to get into it all ? And is it easy money afterwards 

cheers Jay

You can spend £100's as a minimum but easily spend £1,000's the general public assume water-fed pole window cleaning is  cheap and that we use tap water both of which are wrong a brush on a stick will cost you in excess of £100 and then you need all the fittings plus a hose reel etc again £100's and you need filtration equipment to produce pure water and a storage tank £100's as a minimum if you live in a hard water area then your costs will be higher and last of all anyone can clean a window but getting the best results isn't quick and easy and takes time and experience  

Last edited by a moderator:
It can cost £500 or it can cost £2500, in some cases. It depends what you’re willing to invest in it. Agree whole heartedly with the posts above. The first thing you need is a TDS meter so you can see how hard your water is, they’re about £15. Go find out what one of those is, buy one and come back to us with the results 

I don’t wanna be nasty but I assume OP is a 20 something trying to figure out what to do with life. Fair does, I’m the same. However, the idea of ‘easy money’ is gonna really stop you progressing anywhere. No much of it, if any, so get that out your brain. Find something your willing to graft at, be it window cleaning or something else. Money doesn’t grow on trees and all that, lol! 

it is easy money once you have decent "brush on a stick" gear and a load of regular jobs to clean week in/week out.....ive spent over £30k on my van and diesel hot water system,poles,electric reels,etc but i already had a good customer base built up over a long period of time before i invested in the best gear for the job.......

its only over the last 10 years ive started to make decent money,the 16 years before that i just about managed to scrape a living together cleaning windows....i was on ladders then and charged less.....

He was washing windows with a broom?? ?

Haha nah honestly I’m quite new and something I’ll tell you is it’s not cheap to start up (I’d say best part of a grand) and it’s certainly not easy money (you will need to canvass everyday, sort you’re pure water and then first cleans are a lot of graft, plus learning techniques, customer service etc) 

Don’t listen to the haters!

It is pretty easy to clean windows.

Scrub and rinse, that’s it.

Good luck!

its still an easy  job,anyone can do it......i dont know of any other job where i can earn £45k a year for part time hours(20-25 hours a week)and its virtually stress free.....love it(even after 26 years!)?

Easy to clean windows ? Don’t think so , you need customers todo that, that also takes time and hard work to get the customers over the line 

I started up four years ago or so. All I did was knock on doors and ask ‘do you need a window cleaner?’

Easy peasy.

You really do get back what you put in to it.

I started up four years ago or so. All I did was knock on doors and ask ‘do you need a window cleaner?’

Easy peasy.

You really do get back what you put in to it.
But if he is looking to go wfp route you would have to know about pure water, where to get pure water or a filter system in place (which is expensive) also would need to buy a pole for over £100 maybe a backpack if no van (another £150) also would need to do a good job to keep customers happy, not just a quick scrub and rinse, would need to learn correct techniques etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if he is looking to go wfp route you would have to know about pure water, where to get pure water or a filter system in place (which is expensive) also would need to buy a pole for over £100 maybe a backpack if no water filter system (another £150) also would need to do a good job to keep customers happy, not just a quick scrub and rinse, would need to learn correct techniques etc.

Not much to know about pure water in basic circumstances, go to supplier, fill up and be done with it.

Backpack if no water filter system? - The back pack is just a much smaller version of a tank in a van. It's nothing to do with how the water is made and the last i checked it wasn't £150 lol.

As for techniques, I just do whatever lol. I use the alex gardiner technique and then rinse off. Sometimes i deviate and scrub side to side, then up and down etc. There's only so many ways you can scrub glass in reality lol. The novel way would be to stand on the roof and while peering down, scrub them with the pole extended downwards lol (knowing my flaming luck i'll end up with one like that now i've said it).

Alright 

fort I’d join up to ask some in the know Was watching a window cleaner from my bedroom window across the road the other day. He had the brush on a stick thing, they seem handy & quick

How muxh does it cost to get into it all ? And is it easy money afterwards 

cheers Jay

Newbie here so this is my experience of it all.. Not easy money but also not the worst job either. Round building is the hardest part along with the initial investment. Forget those saying all it takes is to knock doors, yes that does work but I've found i literally have more customers from knocking for an hour or two only. I've spent hours out the last couple of days and it was fruitless. I go out for an hour or two instead and knock up a few doors and get a customer reasonably quickly - or so it seems. Odd but there we go, my version of the universe has always been warped.

Yes you can get in cheap (though that does depend on your definition of cheap), I've spent around £500 so far and work from the car (give up on having any spare space though lol). Without a car you're in for a really tough ride. That £500 is cheap compared to a van costing £mega, a van mounted tank / pump costing £mega, a water purification system also costing £mega, plus all the other stuff. See what i mean by your definition? The pole (or should i say brush on a stick? lol) is the expensive part if doing it the cheap way. They range from a couple of hundred to a couple of grand - and the more you pay the better you get. Then you need some way of pumping PURE water up the pole (don't bother with tap water - it'll leave stains and you'll get loads of complaints). The cheapest way is the Gardiner back pack. It's heavy when full so most windys just mount it to a sack truck and cart it round peoples property like that. The downside is when empty you have to go and refill it - with barrels of pure water you'll also need with you in the car.

Building up your window cleaning round is the trickiest part. Leaflets can be slow work not just in the distributing sense but also the amount of time it takes before anyone calls you. Sometimes you'll get a call the next day, other times the next week (or several weeks later). I did once get one customer chase me down the path asking me to go back and quote her right then but that only happened once. It's also expensive getting them printed too when you've got no money coming in so to a point, although it's very hit n miss, door knocking is the best way even if it does leave you feeling like trash when you've wasted hours for nothing.

Yeah you can make good money out of window cleaning, once you're tooled up with the gear you're pretty much sorted but it's getting that customer turnover that you need to get right - and not at stupidly low prices or you'll be working an hour cleaning a massive place and getting less than the minimum wage. 

I certainly wouldn't call it "easy money" bruv, uz gotta work hrd m8 innit u gt ma drft?

Pulling a backpack out of a car  with 6 25lite barrels placed on every seat isn’t a  Image you wanna be showing ,   Go straight for van system DIY you’ll be surprised at how much everything will cost , go looking for second hand stuff ask people on here , they might have spares what they might sell , backpacks only good if ya cant access it with van/hose 

Gardiner backpack is £138 + VAT so roughly £150

Really? - I've just taken this directly from the site:

screenshot_971.jpg

So at £94.95 + 20% VAT, that's going to tot up to £138 +vat is it? I don't think so.

Remember, 20% of £100 is £20. That would be £120. The BP (as you see from the evidence above) isn't even £100 so the VAT on top will be less than £20.

So come on Hyzer, how on earth did you make that back pack cost £138 before VAT? - cos according to your numbers it's £165.60 inc vat yet I paid around £113 inc delivery.

Now if you want to add on extra bits and bobs, yes it may well cost more however from memory the only options were the fittings to the hose but those don't cost an extra forty quid.

Pulling a backpack out of a car  with 6 25lite barrels placed on every seat isn’t a  Image you wanna be showing ,

Good job my barrels are kept in the boot then. Oh I also park in a different road to where I'm working too.

Thanks for reacting "****" to my post BTW, I gave genuine insight into my experience as a newbie. You decided to like Hyzers post though and he can't even quote a real price? - Wow you've got issues.. I trust you won't mind me leaving you the same reaction? Oh, no, hang on... I'm not that childish.

I   didn’t realise it could cost anything like that, and looking into it abit more it just seems like too much faff tbh 

cheers 

Costing too much I can forgive you for. Too much faff is what's wrong with the nations youth today. You should be ashamed of yourself. Faff setting up and getting customers, yes. Faff actually washing windows no.. and they don't take that long either. Complete house in 20 mins and get paid a tenner... that ain't exactly a bad hourly rate is it and a tenner is cheap these days for a window cleaner. But of course, earning £30 an hour is too much faff for you mate isn't it.. and to think.. you were the one asking if its easy money!!!

Really? - I've just taken this directly from the site:

View attachment 16489

So at £94.95 + 20% VAT, that's going to tot up to £138 +vat is it? I don't think so.

Remember, 20% of £100 is £20. That would be £120. The BP (as you see from the evidence above) isn't even £100 so the VAT on top will be less than £20.

So come on Hyzer, how on earth did you make that back pack cost £138 before VAT? - cos according to your numbers it's £165.60 inc vat yet I paid around £113 inc delivery.

Now if you want to add on extra bits and bobs, yes it may well cost more however from memory the only options were the fittings to the hose but those don't cost an extra forty quid.

Good job my barrels are kept in the boot then. Oh I also park in a different road to where I'm working too.

Thanks for reacting "****" to my post BTW, I gave genuine insight into my experience as a newbie. You decided to like Hyzers post though and he can't even quote a real price? - Wow you've got issues.. I trust you won't mind me leaving you the same reaction? Oh, no, hang on... I'm not that childish.

Costing too much I can forgive you for. Too much faff is what's wrong with the nations youth today. You should be ashamed of yourself. Faff setting up and getting customers, yes. Faff actually washing windows no.. and they don't take that long either. Complete house in 20 mins and get paid a tenner... that ain't exactly a bad hourly rate is it and a tenner is cheap these days for a window cleaner. But of course, earning £30 an hour is too much faff for you mate isn't it.. and to think.. you were the one asking if its easy money!!!
Jeez calm down man lol my bad it was the clx price I was thinking of I ordered them together 

Back