Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

difficult streets good for starters

WCF

Help Support WCF:

riggy

Hay all.  Been looking where to start touting for work recently.  I was round someones house this week. thay live down a very narrow very long sloping road.  cars parked all over the place. crampt sloping back gardens.  massively long pavement railing running down one side of the street. getting right in the way of clear accesss to the frounts of the houses. no pavement at all on the other side ! I was looking at the all the windows down this street. there all mostly dirty as a preachers sheets.  its in a well moneyed part of town. dispite the road and the sloping hill side.  many of the houses have had those floor to ceiling, corner to corner sliding glass doors fitted as the back of the houses backs onto a wood with a stream.   so there loads of glass in these houses.  the house i was at his glass was filthy, he even had glass balcony panels that were really messy. 

I can only assume its a street thats such a pain in the ass to work in any estabished windy dosent need to bother doing it and i cant blame them as it is a night in any possible way. but its given me some hope. im going tout the street to see what happened...if I get a good response then im going delibratly track down all nightmarish to acesss streets I can find. wont be easy work I know. but if my thinking is right that these are the streets that I might have the best shoot at getting work in to start with.  might get a betetr responce touting 80 houses down there than touting a 300 on the easy access  open flat suberburbs where every windy of going be making to B line to get the work. the plumb work is almost always taken already.  going try touting where the estanbished dont need to bother and where the quick buck fly byes cant be bothered.    in time hopfully easyier work will come. this is just my idea for getting a start that might be more responsive. 

whats every think about these nightmereish streets ?  sure you have al wored some and seen them and been glad to see the back of them. 

Hay all.  Been looking where to start touting for work recently.  I was round someones house this week. thay live down a very narrow very long sloping road.  cars parked all over the place. crampt sloping back gardens.  massively long pavement railing running down one side of the street. getting right in the way of clear accesss to the frounts of the houses. no pavement at all on the other side ! I was looking at the all the windows down this street. there all mostly dirty as a preachers sheets.  its in a well moneyed part of town. dispite the road and the sloping hill side.  many of the houses have had those floor to ceiling, corner to corner sliding glass doors fitted as the back of the houses backs onto a wood with a stream.   so there loads of glass in these houses.  the house i was at his glass was filthy, he even had glass balcony panels that were really messy. 

I can only assume its a street thats such a pain in the ass to work in any estabished windy dosent need to bother doing it and i cant blame them as it is a night in any possible way. but its given me some hope. im going tout the street to see what happened...if I get a good response then im going delibratly track down all nightmarish to acesss streets I can find. wont be easy work I know. but if my thinking is right that these are the streets that I might have the best shoot at getting work in to start with.  might get a betetr responce touting 80 houses down there than touting a 300 on the easy access  open flat suberburbs where every windy of going be making to B line to get the work. the plumb work is almost always taken already.  going try touting where the estanbished dont need to bother and where the quick buck fly byes cant be bothered.    in time hopfully easyier work will come. this is just my idea for getting a start that might be more responsive. 

whats every think about these nightmereish streets ?  sure you have al wored some and seen them and been glad to see the back of them. 
Use a backpack , maybe ask tango for some advice, he parks in a different street , has backpack on with 2 barrels under his arms 

From a business perspective its a good shout, but may end up being really demoralising. What you probably need to do is charge high from the get go to make a decent hourly rate without working too hard. That way spending only half the day cleaning windows and the other half sorting out reels, tanks, etc will seem worth it. 

It would be interesting to see how you get on but often in the most difficult streets in Gloucester are old victorian town houses that have been turned into flats. Also if all the street is dirty there is no shame factor to get people to follow their neighbours. Once you take on customers in difficult streets you may have trouble dropping them later on.

If you want to know where to start its simple. Avoid new build estates, far too much competition and too many people living in houses they can't afford. Check out the coopers edge group on FB, a few times a week someone asks for a window cleaner and there will be 30-40 recommendations each time. You need to find established estates where the houses were built on mass but not in the last 20 years. Travel a little out of town, places other window cleaners can't be bothered to travel to.

The quickest way to fill a round would be to hit social housing. As long as you sign them all up for direct debit with GoCardless you will be laughing, expect the odd non payer from them but you can make a decent living out of it. No window cleaner goes and canvasses round Matson or Podsmead but there are loads of people there who are good potential customers (Not just social housing either) I only have a small amount of work in that direct purely because I'm so far away but the customers I do have are great.

The access side does not bother me.......... AS LONG AS YOU PRICE IT RIGHT!     

If it is an easy access £20 job and no other local windy wants to touch it then it is a P.I.T.A. £30 job for you. 

DO NOT fall in to the trap of thinking 'Oh that size house is only £XYZ....... cause of the access and ball aches you'll have it's actually £ABC.  

200.gif

My gut feeling is no. Pain in the posterior access, will always be just that. Couple that with the physical effort involved, the fact that customers will come and go, gates will sometimes be locked after you've gone to all the trouble of getting the equipment there. Glass balconies with dirt both sides and the inner side probably hard to get to. Wash one side and some of the dirt goes over the top and down the other side of the glass. Customers unlikely to understand or care about the effort and hassle involved (they don't know because they've never done it and it's not their problem) and unlikely to want to pay a premium price. I would aim for good work from day one rather than make an already physical job more difficult. If you do go for it, as Green Pro says, "price it right '. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Deliberately taking on ball ache jobs lol

I quite often turn down work due to parking, some jobs I've agreed to clean turned up and thought no thanks and just crossed them off and get another job.

Nothing worse than poor access or no where to park.

Latest Posts

Back