Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water dried up..

Tango

Hi Guys..

So just as i'm starting to see the sight of a small profit after insurance, fuel, water top ups and other misc things like spare connectors, I've had contact from my water supplier who now wants to cease my PAYG access and up me to £XXX subscription with access card. That's fair enough and I can understand it from his POV - he's running a business and needs to survive. I can't begrudge him that... but I also can't afford it!

I've done £75 of work in the last 2 weeks since my last top up. Of that, two customers still haven't paid me (not to be confused with the two from my bank transfers thread - one of those did pay) - and not much hope of them paying so I've literally taken £50.

So with £50 available minus my next insurance of £15, I'm down to £35 and I'm dry water wise. I'm not even deducting fuel costs / mpg for my window cleaning.

Any ideas? - I've tried local car washes, they use tap water, tried other water suppliers and the only two are about 40 miles away. One is happy to help at £15 a week - doesn't sound much but it'll cost me £25 in fuel there and back so that's £40 a week that i'm not even taking reliably each week...

Only other option I've come up with is the local garden centre. They sell RO for 90p a gallon / £4.90 per 25L barrel (fish keepers use it apparently). The plus side to that is that while it might work out the same as fuel money travelling to another distant supplier, at least i'll save time. The downside is that by the time i've paid that and charged my customers a tenner, I'm done for. I can't see many paying me £15 for turning up randomly on their door step...

Any other ideas out there? - I've been looking on ebay at those £60 RO systems... (yes we're on a water meter) any feedback on those? - I could just about find the cash for that..

Thanks,

Tango.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys..

So just as i'm starting to see the sight of a small profit after insurance, fuel, water top ups and other misc things like spare connectors, I've had contact from my water supplier who now wants to cease my PAYG access and up me to £XXX subscription with access card. That's fair enough and I can understand it from his POV - he's running a business and needs to survive. I can't begrudge him that... but I also can't afford it!

I've done £75 of work in the last 2 weeks since my last top up. Of that, two customers still haven't paid me (not to be confused with the two from my bank transfers thread - one of those did pay) - and not much hope of them paying so I've literally taken £50.

So with £50 available minus my next insurance of £15, I'm down to £35 and I'm dry water wise. I'm not even deducting fuel costs / mpg for my window cleaning.

Any ideas? - I've tried local car washes, they use tap water, tried other water suppliers and the only two are about 40 miles away. One is happy to help at £15 a week - doesn't sound much but it'll cost me £25 in fuel there and back so that's £40 a week that i'm not even taking reliably each week...

Only other option I've come up with is the local garden centre. They sell RO for 90p a gallon / £4.90 per 25L barrel (fish keepers use it apparently). The plus side to that is that while it might work out the same as fuel money travelling to another distant supplier, at least i'll save time. The downside is that by the time i've paid that and charged my customers a tenner, I'm done for. I can't see many paying me £15 for turning up randomly on their door step...

Any other ideas out there? - I've been looking on ebay at those £60 RO systems... any feedback on those? - I could just about find the cash for that..

Thanks,

Tango.
Paying just short of £5.00 for 25l (which will last 1 - 1 and a half houses). Looks like your just gonna have to take the hit and buy a ro and di system. 

Dont buy cheap though, as chances are you will have to replace it. 

That's a tough doing. I wonder if it's worth you explaining to your present supplier. I'd tell it straight like you've told us. He might bear with you till you're in a better position. And anyway you're no good to his future business if you can't continue. Do you know anyone that could make room for a processing tank and ro? Family, friend, farmer? 

Good luck. 

They sell RO for 90p a gallon / £4.90 per 25L barrel
You could literally drive to my house, fill up for 75p a barrel and cover your petrol. That is of course a tongue in cheek comment that is rather unhelpful but £5 for 25 litres is ridiculous.

As @Craigmac says don't buy cheap. At this point you're probably better to try and find a local windy who will sell you some at a reasonable rate.

Ever thought about getting a small start up loan? If I can get one anyone can, then it's just about putting a bit of hard work in and you should be able to cover repayments easily.

I made threads on here late last year about not being able to afford ladders etc. Got absolutely pounded with bad luck in cars/vans (which hasn't changed yet), but now that I've got a bit of work going I can easily cover a high loan repayment and I've not spent any of the loan yet.

I started out 3 years ago with a cheap 150gpd RO off eBay. Think the entire setup cost me 50-60£, but I did get a 200l drum for free.

I have since upgraded it to a larger 400gpd system and 3x200l drums, but the base of it is the same.

I'm all for buying quality, but honestly; the cheap system serves me so well I can't see myself changing it any time soon.

Do note you might need DI as well, which would triple the initial low cost compared to mine.

I’m near Gloucester tomorrow. I’ve a spare 450 gpd ro. There’s probably a little life left in the membranes. You’ll need to order 10” filters and di vessel with resin. Yours for a couple of months if you want it.

Just seen you’re in Kent?

I have to ask mate, why are you not out knocking doors for business?

You could easily make the money for an RO in a week, if you don't have much work then you have lots of time.

I have to ask mate, why are you not out knocking doors for business?

You could easily make the money for an RO in a week, if you don't have much work then you have lots of time.

Been working my other job over the weekend which left me in agony (I'm a chronic pain sufferer). Did do a house today despite the pain then text my supplier about a top up and got a negative reply which screwed me plans up. No access to water, no funds to pay higher price and no certainty about DIY ro. Been frantically ringing round everywhere today trying to find another payg supplier - spent hours on this. 

I was out Friday knocking.. No joy though

@Tuffers spoke to him today but it ain't economical with fuel etc. Cheers for the thought though mate

Incidentally though, he's a total blast that fella! Had a good chit chat on the phone with him, good laugh he is!

Been working my other job over the weekend which left me in agony (I'm a chronic pain sufferer). Did do a house today despite the pain then text my supplier about a top up and got a negative reply which screwed me plans up. No access to water, no funds to pay higher price and no certainty about DIY ro. Been frantically ringing round everywhere today trying to find another payg supplier - spent hours on this. 

I was out Friday knocking.. No joy though

Mate I don't want to sound harsh here and really do hope you figure things out and get up and running but you can make money so quickly in this game if you get out every evening or spare hour you have advertising one way or another.  What worries me is you said you are a chronic pain sufferer! This business is very physical day in and day out. I'm pretty physically fit hut at the moment it's silly season and the days are long and I'm exhausted. Not sure if your in the right game?

@Tango - Where in Kent are you? I'm near Tunbridge Wells if that's any help to you? I have another guy that buys RO water from me too. 

Let me know if you're near.

Wez

Mate I don't want to sound harsh here and really do hope you figure things out and get up and running but you can make money so quickly in this game if you get out every evening or spare hour you have advertising one way or another.  What worries me is you said you are a chronic pain sufferer! This business is very physical day in and day out. I'm pretty physically fit hut at the moment it's silly season and the days are long and I'm exhausted. Not sure if your in the right game?

I've lived in pain for years. It's just one of those things but weekends at my other employer tend to put me through hell - but what can i say, i have to grin and bare it as i got a little kid! He's only 4 and means everything to me. Thanks to previous surgical woes in the plumbing dept which nearly killed me, his existence is a miracle.

The moment i can self sustain myself through windows is the moment that I'll probably tell them i'm jacking it in unless they got anything else for me. I was intending to stay there however seeing as that's all turned to dog poop lately there ain't really much point staying loyal to them at weekends.

My arms are okay. I'm on pain killers for the other problems but i get flare ups which are agonising..

@Tango - Where in Kent are you? I'm near Tunbridge Wells if that's any help to you? I have another guy that buys RO water from me too. 

Let me know if you're near.

Wez

Cheers for the offer mate but i'm miles away from you - miles and miles lol.

The good news is i've called another local windy (looking for any RO makers) who's said he'll help me out... that gets me through this week and if i can scrape together some more cash i'll go for the ebay RO / DI 5 stage thing to keep me going.

I've lived in pain for years. It's just one of those things but weekends at my other employer tend to put me through hell - but what can i say, i have to grin and bare it as i got a little kid! He's only 4 and means everything to me. Thanks to previous surgical woes in the plumbing dept which nearly killed me, his existence is a miracle.

The moment i can self sustain myself through windows is the moment that I'll probably tell them i'm jacking it in unless they got anything else for me. I was intending to stay there however seeing as that's all turned to dog poop lately there ain't really much point staying loyal to them at weekends.

My arms are okay. I'm on pain killers for the other problems but i get flare ups which are agonising..

Cheers for the offer mate but i'm miles away from you - miles and miles lol.

The good news is i've called another local windy (looking for any RO makers) who's said he'll help me out... that gets me through this week and if i can scrape together some more cash i'll go for the ebay RO / DI 5 stage thing to keep me going.
I totally understand and respect how hard your working mate and the reason your doing it for your family and wish you loads of luck. This job once you have built your business gives a great income and allows the flexibility for family time so is great. Just hoped you were aware of the physical demands of getting to that point cos if your doing enough to live that lifestyle it is hard work and if your in chronic pain your not getting paid if you have to take time off. Like I say best of luck loads of great advice on these forums 

I take it there’s no spotless water stations near you, sorry to hear about you having a tough time, I think buying a DI / RO sounds the best option, I hope you’re pain eases up mate, best of luck. 

Most window cleaners work with their back doors unlocked, can’t you get a suction nozzle & pump on eBay and  siphon out from a few vans in your area while their out of sight round the back of a house? Bit here or there won’t go noticed. 

If you lived near me @Tango I’d genuinely help & sell to you cheap payg. Hope something works out ?

Most window cleaners work with their back doors unlocked, can’t you get a suction nozzle & pump on eBay and  siphon out from a few vans in your area while their out of sight round the back of a house? Bit here or there won’t go noticed. 

If you lived near me @Tango I’d genuinely help & sell to you cheap payg. Hope something works out ?
You could go one better, even if the van is locked @Gasket can pick the lock for you and then help yourself ??

getting to like mad max days, men killing for pure water. Haha, going out equipped for the crime 'Mister, hand over that water.... all of it.... or i shoot   ☠️

Latest Posts

Back