Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

how to convert your customers from traditional to wfp

mark548

Evening all, i’m new here so go easy!  i’m new to the window cleaning business. i looking for some help, i’m over in Northern Ireland, people here seem to be quite traditional in the ways of window cleaning. i’m finding it hard to convert them from traditional cleaning to wfp and tips on this subject would be  greatfully appreciated 

My advise would be just do it. You dont beed to tell somebody how you will clean a window as long as it comes out clean. You’re making an investment for your benefit and theirs. 

If a carpenter switches from a hand drill or hand held wood-saw to electrically operated power tools they don’t bother telling anybody ?‍♂️

Its a more economical way of doing things 

I'm in N Ireland too and I changed over to wfp about 18 months ago, I only lost three costumers.  Some people you have to explain how it works but most didn't care as long as there windows were clean. In my town it's probably about a 80/20 split in wfp's favour. 

just do it.......i cant believe you have to explain WFP in this day and age.....you will have a few problems if your inexperienced with WFP and you will probably lose one or two customers(i did when i switched 9 years ago)........after a few months you ll be glad you switched.....

I'm with Dazmond on this one. Three of the four I lost when I switched over 12 years ago came back to me five years later when the traditional window cleaner they replaced me with fell off his ladder, broke his wrist and decided to retire from window cleaning. The fourth one replaced me with another windy and a couple of years in he made the switch to WFP and now she's replaced him. However, she is fast running out of traditional window cleaners to choose from round here. Most now seem to prefer WFP as they get their frames cleaned each time as well instead of just windows and ledges. Some of my current customers came to me directly because they had seen the results of WFP on their neighbours windows. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I still have one who occasionally says she prefers the old way as she calls it. But I have the feeling she just says it to try to wind me up as she is a bit of a cantankerous character

Also buddy, a lot of customers will be out and not even know its wfp. We've all had that, where they're in for once and are like 'Aren't you gonna dry it off?' erm, no, its how ive been doing it these past couple of years. 'Oh'

It slowly sinks in everywhere that its the better way, I do say my bit to the customer when required to help push this knowledge. better finish/repels dirt/flies etc.

If customers are intrested or understand it then just explain how it works if not just do them wfp and don’t explain as long as they have clean windows most won’t care how it’s done 

I actually know of someone in my area who only trads, and he has admitted to me how he puts wfp down to his customers. I had to explain to him how he's mistaken, but this will happen - misinformation its called. hes retiring soon, and then all his customers will have to be re-educated, or do without a cleaner.

I've got a mate who is anti WFP and at the same time proudly announces that he's a window cleaner not a frame cleaner when his customers ask him to clean the frames. He's lost more than one customer to WFP.

Like a few people have said...make the switch and just DO IT. That's what I did. Yeah I lost a few but you'll soon find new customers who will be happy with WFP from the start so they can't complain! I didn't say anything to my customers and I certainly wasn't asking for their permission I just cracked on with the WFP. Just be CONFIDENT and if you get some worried customers, just educate them on it and explain the benefits to both you and them. Do a good job and I'm sure you'll be fine ? 

Evening all, i’m new here so go easy!  i’m new to the window cleaning business. i looking for some help, i’m over in Northern Ireland, people here seem to be quite traditional in the ways of window cleaning. i’m finding it hard to convert them from traditional cleaning to wfp and tips on this subject would be  greatfully appreciated 

You have also got to be confident in your change over to wfp. This is the best thing since sliced bread and a new process you are very excited about offering. If your are hestitant that this isn't the best way forward then you've lost as your customer will sense it.

15 years ago we had to explain wfp and offer all sorts of guarantees about not collecting payment until they were happy with the quality of the clean. We bought a round consisting of mainly domers. The previous trade guy only cleaned glass and the frames were minging. For me the first day out was a disaster as I only did 7 houses and most were done 3 times. The negativity of our new customers I did that day made me ask myself what I was doing there the following day. This was our first time out with wfp as well.

But each of those customers I did the first day come out to pay me and asked that I continue with the way we are doing it. When I drove onto the estate and passed those houses I had cleaned the previous day, even I was impressed at how they sparkled. All the customers on that estate we did were all in expectation of me coming and cleaning their windows with this new process. News of this new method of window cleaning had spread like a wild bush fire. That was a valuable lesson to me; even if 'm struggling show the customer as much enthusiasm as you can muster.

I passed some of that work onto another cleaner about 3 years ago to help us out and one of our old customers made sure he was cleaning wfp and not traditionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth capitalising on customers with Velux windows, I've found that people are quite noticeably impressed that they will be part of the regular clean.  A big selling point for WFP.

Just thought I’d add to this as I’ve been converting customers recently. I had 1 customer who I only gained through being trad as she “didn’t like how quick the guy with the pole was done” so

You can imagine her face when I turned up with my pole “oh you’ve started using one of those pole things too ?” I just said yes and reeled off some benefits, which by her reaction the old guy hadn’t bothered to do and she was happy as larry

I would also add do some research and make sure you know what to do and what not to do, my prime example the other day an employee of a company out in van on his own either been left to get on or badly trained or both,

3 storey townhouse before he reaches the top windows brush on brickwork then after cleaning window No1 he must have had a cobweb on his brush or something so he starts scrubbing the brickwork then brush straight on the glass of window No2, dropping down to the patio doors with a juliet balcony brush on brickwork whilst collapsing the pole, the brush was about the size of 2 house bricks and looked as heavy so he could only clean the glass above the railings so half a job, once he was finished he leant the pole against the garden wall upside down with the brush on the pavement, I am guessing most of the windows are now scratched ?

I would also add do some research and make sure you know what to do and what not to do, my prime example the other day an employee of a company out in van on his own either been left to get on or badly trained or both,

3 storey townhouse before he reaches the top windows brush on brickwork then after cleaning window No1 he must have had a cobweb on his brush or something so he starts scrubbing the brickwork then brush straight on the glass of window No2, dropping down to the patio doors with a juliet balcony brush on brickwork whilst collapsing the pole, the brush was about the size of 2 house bricks and looked as heavy so he could only clean the glass above the railings so half a job, once he was finished he leant the pole against the garden wall upside down with the brush on the pavement, I am guessing most of the windows are now scratched ?
Jeez! 

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry in the end after spotting him a few times on the estate I felt sorry for the chap, clearly never been to the houses before and using a fibreglass pole and it was close to 30c 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not easy starting out. Heavy, bendy gear and loads to learn (the hard way) . You'd think though that not letting the bristles touch the brickwork would be obvious. 

I swear Darren did a video ages ago about brick dust and that windows wont actually get scratched.

Lot of people on here like watching other windies ? haven’t got time myself! Not bothered about what they’re doing how they look or elsewhat. id find it quite odd if someone was staring at me while i was working. Id take them for a “stay off my patch” kind of guy. Just worry about my own game me. 

I swear Darren did a video ages ago about brick dust and that windows wont actually get scratched.

Lot of people on here like watching other windies ? haven’t got time myself! Not bothered about what they’re doing how they look or elsewhat. id find it quite odd if someone was staring at me while i was working. Id take them for a “stay off my patch” kind of guy. Just worry about my own game me. 
Regularly rest my brush against the wall, very hard to get a pole 40+' in the air without doing so. Suppose I've only been doing it for 8 years so I'm either very lucky or it doesn't affect the brush.

Yeah we’ve been doing it the past lord knows how long as well. many people also softwash a wall or render with a brush that they also use for window cleaning i imagine. I use old brushes for softwashing now as it puts a lot of wear on the brushes.

On the subject where are darren and padstar? I sure miss em both. Not a full crowd here as of late ?

Back