Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing next cleaning date to a weekly date

Maund

Currently I post cards with a next cleaning date, but sometimes I am unable to actually arrive on that date.

I am thinking of changing it to a weekly date, so on the card it will say - next cleaning date 01-07 to 05-07

I'm unsure if this will lead to even more confusion

What do you think? 

Currently I post cards with a next cleaning date, but sometimes I am unable to actually arrive on that date.

I am thinking of changing it to a weekly date, so on the card it will say - next cleaning date 01-07 to 05-07

What do you think? 
I personally would scrap having next clean dates on, why don’t you just get contact number and send a text night before ,

thats how I do it , once am sorted and settled for the night , I’ll send a mass text message

I think you may be making a rod for your own back with that one. I always arrange the frequency when I give the initial quote and let them know that sometimes I may be a few days out depending on weather, personal time off etc so they know exactly when I should be due from the date of the last clean. 

If you don't want to simply text your customers the evening before (like the majority of us do), then I'd suggest writing "Your windows will be next cleaned w/c (week commencing) "insert date here". 

This gives you the whole week to clean them when you can.

If you don't want to simply text your customers the evening before (like the majority of us do), then I'd suggest writing "Your windows will be next cleaned w/c (week commencing) "insert date here". 

This gives you the whole week to clean them when you can.
I don’t know about the majority. I’ve been at this a long time and know a lot of fellow windies in my area and none of them do. I have a handful that I have to text for access but that’s about it. I couldn’t imagine having to text everyone on my round even if it only takes a minute or two. 

I don’t know about the majority. I’ve been at this a long time and know a lot of fellow windies in my area and none of them do. I have a handful that I have to text for access but that’s about it. I couldn’t imagine having to text everyone on my round even if it only takes a minute or two. 

Same - I only have a handful to text every evening. Every window cleaner that I know irl does this too.

Makes life a little bit easier.

I arranged to clean an ad-hoc clean this afternoon. I sent a text last night that I’d be round this afternoon. She texted back saying her partner would be home and she’d pay me. I get there, clean the fronts and ring the bell. No answer soo try the gate. Gate is padlocked! I text her saying I’ve gone out of my way to accommodate them today and I’ll be charging for the full clean. She texts back saying the partner was there all morning and they will pay me but don’t want them cleaning anymore. No problem for me as this was the final straw, but why arrange for someone to come round and then not be home!? If another tradesman was to turn up they’d also want paying too. I’ll wait for her to pay on-line and then give her a bollocking from a text.

I arranged to clean an ad-hoc clean this afternoon. I sent a text last night that I’d be round this afternoon. She texted back saying her partner would be home and she’d pay me. I get there, clean the fronts and ring the bell. No answer soo try the gate. Gate is padlocked! I text her saying I’ve gone out of my way to accommodate them today and I’ll be charging for the full clean. She texts back saying the partner was there all morning and they will pay me but don’t want them cleaning anymore. No problem for me as this was the final straw, but why arrange for someone to come round and then not be home!? If another tradesman was to turn up they’d also want paying too. I’ll wait for her to pay on-line and then give her a bollocking from a text.
Would love to give a few straight talking texts to some ex customers, not done that yet...yet!

I hear your pain but I’ve never heard of a tradesman charging for work that they’ve not done. Last week my mum had a plumber booked to look at the boiler. Her train was axed and she was mega late missing the appointment. He was a little p1ssed but fully understood after an explanation. He didn’t charge her a penny and was very happy to rearrange another visit. Sometime things aren’t always black and white. Maybe if you have a written contract(which I doubt) all this charging full price for uncompleted work won’t stand up in a court of law but good luck to any one achieving it.

You did right Tuffers  the lad who fitted our new boiler etc who I am pally with, does landlord safety checks and boiler services so the tenants have prior notice of the appointment and if they ain't at home the  landlord gets billed the total amount otherwise it's £60 or so of lost income for him 

I hear your pain but I’ve never heard of a tradesman charging for work that they’ve not done. Last week my mum had a plumber booked to look at the boiler. Her train was axed and she was mega late missing the appointment. He was a little p1ssed but fully understood after an explanation. He didn’t charge her a penny and was very happy to rearrange another visit. Sometime things aren’t always black and white. Maybe if you have a written contract(which I doubt) all this charging full price for uncompleted work won’t stand up in a court of law but good luck to any one achieving it.
Clearly stated on my website if access isn't provided as agreed they get billed at least my minimum charge or full price if a repeat offender, only had one person sack me but they still payed 

You did right Tuffers  the lad who fitted our new boiler etc who I am pally with, does landlord safety checks and boiler services so the tenants have prior notice of the appointment and if they ain't at home the  landlord gets billed the total amount otherwise it's £60 or so of lost income for him 

Clearly stated on my website if access isn't provided as agreed they get billed at least my minimum charge or full price if a repeat offender, only had one person sack me but they still payed 
FairPlay if you state that from the beginning but most don’t. Still trying to enforce it properly without some sort of written agreement would be very hard with most probs paying it as they dont want the aggro and not because they have to. I’ll also add that most people are unaware of the distances that window cleaners travel these days and still think that you can move on to your next job with minimal or no loss at all. Your plumber guy will more than likely have a contract with the landlord stating his terms. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FairPlay if you state that from the beginning but most don’t. Still trying to enforce it properly without some sort of written agreement would be very hard with most probs paying it as they dont want the aggro and not because they have to. I’ll also add that most people are unaware of the distances that window cleaners travel these days and still think that you can move on to your next job with minimal or no loss at all. Your plumber guy will more than likely have a contract with the landlord stating his terms. 
A contract can either be written or spoken word to which two parties agree, upon providing a quote and them agreeing to the price they are sent a link to my payments page and information page which I say read all the information on both pages and to contact me should they have any questions at all moving forward. ?

A contract can either be written or spoken word to which two parties agree, upon providing a quote and them agreeing to the price they are sent a link to my payments page and information page which I say read all the information on both pages and to contact me should they have any questions at all moving forward. ?
I think judge rinder would have something to say about that one?

Feck em, I won't lose any sleep about losing the job. They started off with every 4 weeks and then decided they didn't want them cleaned very often. I said just text me when you want them cleaned. As it happened I had a spare half hour on my way home on the day in question, so I slotted them in. I was a bit peed off after they had initiated the clean and to tell me someone would be home to find that no one was home and the gate was padlocked. I found it totally disrespectful to be honest. So I sent a text stating I would be charging full whack.

Today I get a phone call from a curry house I go to sometimes. Last time I went there I told them they need a window cleaner and left my number. The gaffer phoned me up earlier and he wants the windows cleaned every 15 days. Yes every 15 days ?

We don’t txt any customers we just turn up , cannot be bothered with all that faff , and them say leave it this time etc sometimes you might not be able to make the agreed day if you leave a card , due to weather something unforeseen crops up etc I tell all customers that it will be approximately 4 weeks barring something unforeseen, 99% are quite happy with this . 

Commercial customers if they want or need it I will phone the beginning of the week and let them know when we are coming , but certainly wouldn’t offer that to domestic customers . We are cleaning there windows if we are a few days late it’s not exactly life threatening ???

Feck em, I won't lose any sleep about losing the job. They started off with every 4 weeks and then decided they didn't want them cleaned very often. I said just text me when you want them cleaned. As it happened I had a spare half hour on my way home on the day in question, so I slotted them in. I was a bit peed off after they had initiated the clean and to tell me someone would be home to find that no one was home and the gate was padlocked. I found it totally disrespectful to be honest. So I sent a text stating I would be charging full whack.

Today I get a phone call from a curry house I go to sometimes. Last time I went there I told them they need a window cleaner and left my number. The gaffer phoned me up earlier and he wants the windows cleaned every 15 days. Yes every 15 days ?
Every 15 days works out at twice a month but is very specific. I wonder if he has had a window cleaner take the mick before and turn up earlier and earlier? ?

I had a woman a few weeks ago. ‘We’re really pleased with the service but feel every 3 weeks is too often, can we move to 6?’

‘Hello...Just to clarify, your on a monthly, minimum 4 weekly, schedule. Your last clean was on.... I don't offer 6 weekly but I do offer 8 weekly (every second month). I'm more than happy to move you to that. Price will increase X per clean but you'll save money over the year. Let me know.’

‘Hi Alexandros, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Every 8 weeks would be ideal but I don't understand why that would cause a price increase, so if you don't mind we will go elsewhere for our window cleaning. Thank you for all your help so far.

Thanks,
.......’

What do you think? 

After my first clean I typically send a text to confirm my next visit but unless they've requested a specific day of the week, I just text the date range of that Monday - Friday. Not had any hassle so far that way. Then my phone sends texts automatically the evening before. Must admit I do kinda feel an evenings notice is a bit short but that seems to be the standard way lol. 

Back