Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone using a phantom? Still can't decide

WCF

Help Support WCF:

paul1

Hi guys been a while busy busy.. So after 2 years just over getting ready for a new pole was going to stick with slx 25 as always been happy and not many issues however started hearing about the phantom and no glue clamps.. What would you guys go for stick to slx or go pantom route? Advice appreciated. Cheers lads 

I started with an SLX22, never had an issue with it. Never had a clamp come loose. Never maintained it. Brought a phantom on the release date (25ft 3k version) so it’s approx 8 months old. Treated it the same is the SLX and I’d say it’s worn a bit better - not a great deal but the wear is even, instead of leaving a line down the middle like the SLX seemed to. It doesn’t hold grit like the Gardiner clamps/pole sections seem to either. I do like the clamps, in use they don’t feel much different to the Gardiner clamps. Yes they are easy to change but bear in mind they will need nipping up periodically - easy enough to do with an Allen key but a PITA if you don’t have one on the van!!! The plastic seems better ‘quality’ on the phantom clamps, this is noticed as you can actually remove the gooseneck which has never got jammed like it did constantly on the Gardiner poles, I don’t know if it’s the plastic that’s able to absorb moisture or the change in supplier and the tolerances were slightly off but overall the clamps are of a better quality in my opinion. I know a couple of cleaners that brought the phantom and went back to Gardiner’s (@Kevinc250 is one). My next pole will be a phantom - more likely the hi-mod version though as I’m getting a bit old and fatigued nowadays!!!

I started with an SLX22, never had an issue with it. Never had a clamp come loose. Never maintained it. Brought a phantom on the release date (25ft 3k version) so it’s approx 8 months old. Treated it the same is the SLX and I’d say it’s worn a bit better - not a great deal but the wear is even, instead of leaving a line down the middle like the SLX seemed to. It doesn’t hold grit like the Gardiner clamps/pole sections seem to either. I do like the clamps, in use they don’t feel much different to the Gardiner clamps. Yes they are easy to change but bear in mind they will need nipping up periodically - easy enough to do with an Allen key but a PITA if you don’t have one on the van!!! The plastic seems better ‘quality’ on the phantom clamps, this is noticed as you can actually remove the gooseneck which has never got jammed like it did constantly on the Gardiner poles, I don’t know if it’s the plastic that’s able to absorb moisture or the change in supplier and the tolerances were slightly off but overall the clamps are of a better quality in my opinion. I know a couple of cleaners that brought the phantom and went back to Gardiner’s (@Kevinc250 is one). My next pole will be a phantom - more likely the hi-mod version though as I’m getting a bit old and fatigued nowadays!!!

I’ll second that

Hi still can't decide if to stick with gardiner slx 25 for my new pole or try the equilavant in the phantom range? Noticed slightky heavier. Anyone been using a phantom that's switched from gardiner? And how you finding it etc. Cheers 

I'd like to know this also as I'm primed to get a new pole. Really torn between a Hi-mod or a extreme, 18-25 footer.

seen the ova 8 but I'm not totally convinced about using a univalve inside, then there's the neon2 from WCW if your looking at very lightweight, but one review is difficult to gauge. 

I have merged the two topics so hopefully, the replies won't get missed 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve a phantom hi mod . Noticeably the weight difference compared to the slx. Also slimmer which seems better to hold. As the other person says it doesn’t seem to hold grit and dirt. No stop tape which is also a bonus. If it was me personally I wish I just had of replaced to another slx because now i wouldn’t be happy working with that weight ?

Haven’t got their pole but have retrofitted their clamps to my RI Mini. Unbelievable clamps. Easy and very light to use and haven’t had to adjust in nearly four months of almost daily use. 

Yeah. A light weight like you could never handle the extra 50g. ?

I use an Xtreme 22 as my daily so even there 22 is a round 600g heavier, previously dodgy shoulders and elbows sound got nothing choice, but you won't using yours as you're no longer longer on the glass I bet you would now struggle to lift a clx-4 I can ask @P4dstarto call and give you hand to lift it out of the van ?

I use an Xtreme 22 as my daily so even there 22 is a round 600g heavier, previously dodgy shoulders and elbows sound got nothing choice, but you won't using yours as you're no longer longer on the glass I bet you would now struggle to lift a clx-4 I can ask @P4dstarto call and give you hand to lift it out of the van ?
I reckon Darren could do with the exercise now he's sat in an office all day, leave him to it I say ?

The Titan is not here to compete with an extreme it's in the SLX category of which the SLX 30 is 1750g the Titan 1800g 

As for your mate 'oh it's only banter when i'm being offensive' ? p4dster well....... can't even be bothered with that, i'll leave that there.    

Back