Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not got customers phone numbers

Hyzer373

I’ve only been going just over a month but I’m starting to see I should have gotten all customers numbers to send out messages that I’ll be calling next day (tbh I hate asking them for the number it’s feel intrusive) they all have my leaflet, what I am doing is leaving a note in the door of those who are not in saying “hi we came to clean you’re windows, sorry we missed you, I will call tomorrow at x time, please let me know if this is inconvenient”
Would that be ok or how would you deal with this?

I’ve only been going just over a month but I’m starting to see I should have gotten all customers numbers to send out messages that I’ll be calling next day (tbh I hate asking them for the number it’s feel intrusive) they all have my leaflet, what I am doing is leaving a note in the door of those who are not in saying “hi we came to clean you’re windows, sorry we missed you, I will call tomorrow at x time, please let me know if this is inconvenient”
Before I agree to clean I always get full name and contact number , 

why don’t you go and get everybody’s contact numbers , when your there cleaning ask them 

I always get their name and contact details. I explain that I need to let them know that I'm coming and I will notify them the evening before. I explain that if they won't be home the gate needs to be left closed but unlocked and the payment hidden out the back. I tell them in a polite, friendly manner that this is what I have to do to get all my work done in an efficient way and that I aim to tie them in with their neighbours schedules. You are new in this business so not too busy yet but when you've built up your round you will see how important it is to be efficient and run a tight, well oiled ship. I understand that starting out you might feel you're being intrusive but you're not you're being professional and efficient. Confidence in dealing with your customers will get easier. ?

Yeah nothing wrong with asking for their number. Usually just say "what's the best number to get you on incase I need to contact you regarding payment or access". Then if I feel it's appropriate I'll send a text to let them know I'm coming the night before.

Yeah I will do that from now on when canvassing, what I’ll also have to do is when I do catch them (the customers I have) I’ll have to ask for contact numbers to make things easier

Yeah I will do that from now on when canvassing, what I’ll also have to do is when I do catch them (the customers I have) I’ll have to ask for contact numbers to make things easier
Yeah, makes it easier for you and for them. ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve only been going just over a month but I’m starting to see I should have gotten all customers numbers to send out messages that I’ll be calling next day (tbh I hate asking them for the number it’s feel intrusive)

It's not intrusive at all. You have a genuine reason to ask them for it - should you need to contact them (eg you're unable to make it on the agreed date) then you need their number.

Don't feel bad about asking for it mate, just ask! As for your existing clients, next time you go there, ask them if they're in. If not, you got two options - clean the windows and leave an invoice (or note saying you'll be back to collect payment on the next day) or leave them a note asking them to call you to agree another visit - then when they ring you've got their number on your phone.

First of all, well done for pushing forward. 

All customers should provide.

Contact Number

Email

Address (of course)

Postcode. 

If they have agreed to do business with you, its your business to have that info.

I always ask new customers for their contact details and how they would prefer me to contact them. A lot of them

like using either what's app or messenger, I have a few that prefer texting or I phone them or sometimes email too. Also recently after taking on new customers I message them to confirm the price and the frequency of the clean. Also all customer information is entered onto my excel customer database on a daily basis. This is more professional and usually I receive a thank you back from them. 

Aye, I got a call from a guy who told me their windy has let them down badly. Seems the guy had the whole street and he has disappeared. I have put up my minimum price to £8 a month now, not bothered if I don't get the work. Got a big pvc and gutter clear to do so the work is coming in.

Did you manage to get any insurance sorted @mupps I'd be happy to help if you need any questions answering? Cheers ?
Yes thank you ??

I always ask new customers for their contact details and how they would prefer me to contact them. A lot of them

like using either what's app or messenger, I have a few that prefer texting or I phone them or sometimes email too. Also recently after taking on new customers I message them to confirm the price and the frequency of the clean. Also all customer information is entered onto my excel customer database on a daily basis. This is more professional and usually I receive a thank you back from them. 

Yes thank you ??
Do you not struggle keeping track of all the different ways to contact them? I get phone or email but including WhatsApp, messenger, etc, surely it becomes a real pain? 

It does feel weird at first but your fine, your a business after all and need to communicate. Phones are for communicating. 

I use Squeegee for my customers and it’s great as you can just have it auto message the ones that need to unlock the night before. So you simply press ‘send remidners’ then authorities each message (if you use a mass messaging service you don’t need to authorise each one). 

Back