Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quote request from customer who droped you

Eddie dragon

I just had a email asking for a quote as I'm recommend by next door. No problem there obviously 

Thing is this woman droped me two years ago, after painter told her wfp ruins wooden sills. First customer I ever asked if they go out and dry them after rain.

So how many would bother to quote?

Would and how would you bring up being dropped before?

Finally I'm thinking double previous price as it's a pain in the neck job. On a hill on a single lane road no parking if anyone home.

I'm still thinking how to word my reply I'm interested in knowing how other would deal with it while I think

I just had a email asking for a quote as I'm recommend by next door. No problem there obviously 

Thing is this woman droped me two years ago, after painter told her wfp ruins wooden sills. First customer I ever asked if they go out and dry them after rain.

Finally I'm thinking double previous price as it's a pain in the neck job. On a hill on a single lane road no parking if anyone home.

I'm still thinking how to word my reply I'm interested in knowing how other would deal with it while I think
Mate, you’ve said it’s a pain, that’s surely the end of that, don’t bother 

No way dropped you once and will be a pain again. I would be saying something like I used to clean for you but you got rid of me and as I always have a waiting list of new customers i filled your spot instantly and still have too long of a waiting list to put you on it! Thank you 

At first glance I’d say no way but from personal experience and my philosophy of life’s too short to hold grudges, especially if they are giving me money I’d think about it. Sometimes people make mistakes and if they’ve realised that they have then they can turn out to be a good customer and it’s a good chance to raise your price. If it’s a case of mistaken identity then I wouldn’t hold my breathe. 

You could always go out and have a look to see how the painters quality of work has withstood your absence of wfp ?

We all know that wfp doesn't damage wooden window frames. But we have a local painter who blames wfp for his bad workmanship. I have the same problem with an old customer I've had for years. This painter has convinced him that we are damaging his wooden window frames and he now wants us to dry the windows off.

I suggested he employ a trad cleaner to do them off ladders, but he doesn't want that as they would rest the ladders on the sills and damage them. He has shingle tiles under the bedroom windows.

I think the main reason why I wouldn't take her back on is because of access.

I would reply thanking her for her enquiry. I would remind her that you are still using the same window cleaning system as before and that you cant quote because she cancelled your service 2 years ago due to her being unhappy with the suitability of your cleaning method.

At first glance I’d say no way but from personal experience and my philosophy of life’s too short to hold grudges, especially if they are giving me money I’d think about it. Sometimes people make mistakes and if they’ve realised that they have then they can turn out to be a good customer and it’s a good chance to raise your price. If it’s a case of mistaken identity then I wouldn’t hold my breathe. 

Its not a case of holding a grudge , it’s running a buisness and having to pay staff and bills if half your customers decided they didn’t want there windows cleaning this time after agreeing to it then your takings are way down , I know it’s not likely that would happen but it reduces your income , if there is a genuine reason not to do them then that’s fine but just deciding they aren’t too bad or it looks like rain then it’s them going back in the verbal contract that I made with them , instant dump 

Its not a case of holding a grudge , it’s running a buisness and having to pay staff and bills if half your customers decided they didn’t want there windows cleaning this time after agreeing to it then your takings are way down , I know it’s not likely that would happen but it reduces your income , if there is a genuine reason not to do them then that’s fine but just deciding they aren’t too bad or it looks like rain then it’s them going back in the verbal contract that I made with them , instant dump 
I’m with you all the way on missing cleans due to rain etc. Had one a while back that tried missing two in a row due to rain. I told her if she doesn’t want a regular service I will gladly do them at her discretion but it will be at a one off clean price. She politely declined and has stuck to the routine ever since. I was more going towards customers that cancel due to wrongful information on their part. It’s not often custys admit  when they are wrong but when they do they usually turn out to be really good customers as they’ve taken the time to educate themselves.  Everyone makes mistakes and deserve a second chance. Maybe I’m too soft but it’s served me well up to now. 

How about:

Thank you for contacting me.

I’m actually offering the first two cleans for free at the moment, as an incentive for new, or returning customers.

However, I understand you have wooden sills and I have a concern that my wfp system could possibly cause damage. 

Sorry I can’t help.

Regards

How about:

I’m actually offering the first two cleans for free at the moment, as an incentive for new, or returning customers.

However, I understand you have wooden sills and I have a concern that my wfp system could possibly cause damage. 

Sorry I can’t help.

Regards
Not flipping likely! What if they don't take you on but start telling their neighbours (who most likely have plastic windows) you do the first two washes free!? 

Keep it simple and straight and professional, I reckon. ? 

PS. Please tell me you're not really doing the first two washes free? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha Ha of course not!

But now she will feel she’s really missing out!

If she tells anyone else, then unfortunately that offer has ended.

How about:

Sorry I can’t help.

Regards
I personally think that’s a terrible idea.

she will then go around telling everyone that WFP is bad for wooden windows, this will spread and those with wooden windows will turn to the trad guys, so less work for us.

Pub time ?.

Have a great weekend fellow windies! Ska festival in Maidstone tomorrow, Charlton v Sunderland at Wembley Sunday, big family meal in a restaurant Monday. More to life than work! Love it 

Bit of an update. I wasn't going to reply to the original email. I was driving past on Friday and they were loading a car so I stopped for a chat. Happy I did, as I'm recommend by next door and she can clearly see no damage to frames and sills over two years.  I did double the price and it was accepted they have also bought the house at the back and I got that one as well at inflated price. Access is sorted as I can throw the hose over the garden wall and just walk round up the hill. Over all I'm glad I stopped no job is a pain if it pays enough lol

Bit of an update. I wasn't going to reply to the original email. I was driving past on Friday and they were loading a car so I stopped for a chat. Happy I did, as I'm recommend by next door and she can clearly see no damage to frames and sills over two years.  I did double the price and it was accepted they have also bought the house at the back and I got that one as well at inflated price. Access is sorted as I can throw the hose over the garden wall and just walk round up the hill. Over all I'm glad I stopped no job is a pain if it pays enough lol

Good on you. Well worth stopping then ?

FWIW, over the years I've had the odd customer stop, saying that their husband, son, etc was going to do them instead. Inevitably they phone a few months later saying that the windows were never done by aforementioned people. I always say that, since the last time, my round has had a price increase and add a tenner on. They always go for it. It's just to ensure future messing around IMO.

Latest Posts

Back