Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with sediment in the water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I thought my sediment filter was a little grey, not due for a change for another few thousand litres but I did it anyway. The filter was very grey and I had seen a slight drop in pressure the end of last week, I flushed the new filter and then set the RO to flush and all good at first. Within 5 minutes the filter was more grey than before. Took it off to find the mess pictured.

The water in the area went off today, believed to be a leak. The pressure has apparently been low all day so people are reporting. The water board have advised to run the tap for 20 minutes to clear any discolouration.

My questions.... anyone experienced this before, how long does it generally take too sort itself out. Is there any chance I have caused damage to my membrane?

I assume this filter is not f**ked, can't really afford to go through these at that sort of speed.

Untitled.png

I thought my sediment filter was a little grey, not due for a change for another few thousand litres but I did it anyway. The filter was very grey and I had seen a slight drop in pressure the end of last week, I flushed the new filter and then set the RO to flush and all good at first. Within 5 minutes the filter was more grey than before. Took it off to find the mess pictured.

The water in the area went off today, believed to be a leak. The pressure has apparently been low all day so people are reporting. The water board have advised to run the tap for 20 minutes to clear any discolouration.

My questions.... anyone experienced this before, how long does it generally take too sort itself out. Is there any chance I have caused damage to my membrane?

I assume this filter is not f**ked, can't really afford to go through these at that sort of speed.

View attachment 16582
One new one every 5 minutes is ok just put up your prices....

We had our water supply contaminated with diesel after an accident the water board said flush the taps for  several hours , I complained about the water sausage and they gave me a discount on my next bill , might be worth a phone call to try and get some compensation  flush the system through after flushing the mains first , then replace the pre filter m your membrane should be ok as the ore filter has done its job of catching the dirt 

One new one every 5 minutes is ok just put up your prices....
I've got a better idea, I'm gonna charge you a subscription fee for knowing me. The fee is one 20'' pre filter per day... Oh and you're delivering it ?

We had our water supply contaminated with diesel after an accident the water board said flush the taps for  several hours , I complained about the water sausage and they gave me a discount on my next bill , might be worth a phone call to try and get some compensation  flush the system through after flushing the mains first , then replace the pre filter m your membrane should be ok as the ore filter has done its job of catching the dirt 
I reckon this was just a standard leak problem. They have said pretty much what you have said about running the tap to flush it. I reckon I'll leave it for tomorrow and try again Wednesday morning. I've got enough to get me through tomorrow and Wednesday either way. I'm not sure I wanna stir the pot with a phone call, not on a water meter and I'd like it to stay that way ?

I've got a better idea, I'm gonna charge you a subscription fee for knowing me. The fee is one 20'' pre filter per day... Oh and you're delivering it ?

I reckon this was just a standard leak problem. They have said pretty much what you have said about running the tap to flush it. I reckon I'll leave it for tomorrow and try again Wednesday morning. I've got enough to get me through tomorrow and Wednesday either way. I'm not sure I wanna stir the pot with a phone call, not on a water meter and I'd like it to stay that way ?

Thats your decision but they have contaminated your supply and told you to flush it through so they have a duty of care to supply you with clean water and so they will pick up the expense of doing that I don’t think they would view it as a problem they will get hundreds of claims for this contamination, if you cleaned someone’s windows and they phoned up saying they are still dirty what would you do ? You would go back and re do them m it’s the same with the water company they will have to reduce your bill , it’s not an un reasonable request .

Mine are brown/black within a few weeks at the best of times. With all the new houses going up the pipework around us is constantly being cut into and contaminated. I changed from a 20” filter to 10” as they weren’t lasting any longer. I now buy 10 for £10.49 off eBay so don’t grumble too much about changing them. Saying that the last one lasted nearly 20k litres before it affected my RO production!

We had this problem a couple of years ago. Our water was so laden with sediment that I was replacing 3 sediment filters to 1 carbon block.

If there was any work works going on I ran the bath with cold water and let it stand to see what the state of the water was before switching the r/o on. Also let the r/o filter water overnight as its cleanest then.

Hopefully no dirt has by passed the filter and the membrane is okay. I know a few window cleaners who have managed to claim money for replacement membranes from their water supplier due to burst mains.

Latest Posts

Back