Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Van and WFP Kit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BlueSumo

Hi all,

Have been reading the brilliant forum for a couple of months now as I'm looking to start and build a reliable window cleaning service here in the New Forest. 

I have tried to find a good value van that has already been kitted out. I almost got one and then then the guy pulled out as his house move abroad fell through. 

I'm bidding on another at the moment on eBay. You can see it here but I'm not sure if this is going to be value for money? I imagine the final price will be around the 4.8/5K mark. it doesn't make pure water so I will need to top up at spotless. 

I want to look professional and start as I mean to go on. But it seems to be taking an age to find a good van that is all fitted out.

My main questions are, do you think it makes a difference in the customers eyes as to what age your vehicle is? Shall I just buy a van and get it fitted out instead of looking for one already fitted out? And in your opinion/s what is the best value for money system to fit? Are the DIY kits up to the job?

I wanted a larger van [Vivaro size] and 650l set up so that I don't need to upgrade in a couple of years, as that seems to be quite a common story. Is that sensible? 

However, I just want to get started but the van is holding me back. 

Apologies if these questions have been asked before, but i'm finding it a minefield out there. 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just a few observations, it looks like the floor hasn't been waterproofed, so could be very corroded. The Pure Freedom system looks like it was a one man system and they've put another pump in to make it 2 man, I could be wrong on that, but my PF 2 man system has 2 batteries. For me the mileage is a bit too high, my gearbox went at 125k miles, but if you get it for sub £5k then that's reflected in the price.

If you're going to clean Buck House then yes the age of the van will make a difference, if you're targeting MR & Mrs Average then as long as it's clean and tidy I doubt it would make a difference. If anyone is going to refuse you because of the age of your van then, in my eyes, they're not going to be a good customer.

It will only cost you a few quid and a bit of your garage / shed to make pure.

Thanks for your observations part timer. I did notice the floor actually. Had no idea about the 2 man set up point. Is this something that I’d need to get changed? 

In regard to making pure, you suggest making it in the garage and the transferring to the van? I assume just using some sort of pump and hose once made?

The back of that van looks really rough, If the current owner cares so little about the inside of the van I would be concerned about the rest of the van and a bolted in system is of no use if it rips through the floor in an accident, Now for the WFP system it's a 650 litre baffled and professionally fitted pure freedom system not one of those that are bodged together by a pleb in a garage 

Love his sales patter ?

Yes you’re right ironG good point. 
I could be been over cautious but reading the sales description you have to question what he is saying as to why he bought the van, it could have been a capital purchase to reduce a tax bill although pretty pointless if he hasn't owned the van that long.

Parting with 5k without a sound business plan in place or knowing whether you can make a successful business I would say be cautious, a small van and a backpack set up could serve you better short term, to see if window cleaning really is for you and if the business takes off then invest in a system a maybe a larger van.

Van looks like a dog's dinner.

May be just the picture, but the passenger door looks a lighter shade if grey?

I have a 2011 plate 

paid 7k for it.

I will attach the only picture I have of it. 

double side doors. Not a mark on the inside of the cab not in the back of the van. 

ex Scottish power vehicle.

That said had to replace the clutch at 67k miles.

So I guess even a well maintained Vauxhall is no gaurentee lol.

I think they are galvanised so rusting should not be an issue.

transporter or ford custom next.

20190530_143427.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice. I do have a plan of attack in place. I’m an online marketer by trade. My income is largely passive now. A few blog posts a month and that keeps things ticking over.

I want to do something that gets me out during all the spare time I have so decided that building a window cleaning business up was a good idea. 

I can build my own my own website and easily rank it at number 1 on Google for my local search terms.

@Craigmac I noticed the colour differences also. Asked the guy if I could view but he’s still stalling so I guess keep looking. 

Just want to get started so becoming a bit impatient. 

Thanks for all the advice. I do have a plan of attack in place. I’m an online marketer by trade. My income is largely passive now. A few blog posts a month and that keeps things ticking over.

I want to do something that gets me out during all the spare time I have so decided that building a window cleaning business up was a good idea. 

I can build my own my own website and easily rank it at number 1 on Google for my local search terms.

@Craigmac I noticed the colour differences also. Asked the guy if I could view but he’s still stalling so I guess keep looking. 

Just want to get started so becoming a bit impatient. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Bipper-Window-Cleaning-Van-Full-water-fed-pole-system-fitted/264312678949?hash=item3d8a436a25:g:pXUAAOSw9kxcz-fS

plenty van systems on eBay , why don’t you keep the cost down ,  can always sell it on when time upgrade 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes I have been looking [a lot] I'll find the right one sooner or later or I'll just go the DIT route. 
Just get a decent van, and build your own system,  when I done mine  spent 2.5k on 10plate Nemo , , only Has 66k on clock , I would say spent £500 on set up , pole taking away £300 from that , Check gumtree, I checked everyday , till what I needed came up for sale 

when looking at tanks , get  350lte at least 

Back