Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

looking to buy a new van, please recommend

500l will be pushing it payload wise in some of the smaller vans.

you could easily find yourself over the limit in a SWB caddy, a maxi would be better. The partner would need to be the 850.

all the short wheelbase vans would probably need poles to extend into the cab to store them.

the load area on the new swb connects is very small due to the way the bulkhead is shaped. I would be surprised to fit a 500l and a reel even if it could handle the weight.

connect 240/ combo 2700/ doblo maxi, would be the better choices, closer to 1000kg payloads and long wheelbase which will accommodate the weight and equipment more comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:
toyota hiace are most reliable by a long way,  do short and long wheel base models. powerful engines.  do cost more than some but less than some others. trouble is theres never many to choose from on secound hand market. 

toyota hiace are most reliable by a long way,  do short and long wheel base models. powerful engines.  do cost more than some but less than some others. trouble is theres never many to choose from on secound hand market. 
I sometimes think that if it's hard to find one then they must be really good. 

500l will be pushing it payload wise in some of the smaller vans.

you could easily find yourself over the limit in a SWB caddy, a maxi would be better. The partner would need to be the 850.

all the short wheelbase vans would probably need poles to extend into the cab to store them.

the load area on the new swb connects is very small due to the way the bulkhead is shaped. I would be surprised to fit a 500l and a reel even if it could handle the weight.

connect 240/ combo 2700/ doblo maxi, would be the better choices, closer to 1000kg payloads and long wheelbase which will accommodate the weight and equipment more comfortably.
thank you so much for your helpful feedback, I put down £4K deposit today for a Peugeot partner swb. I know it's not ideal but that's all I can afford right now (£7768 + VAT, 74,000 mileage,  2016 (66))

I sometimes think that if it's hard to find one then they must be really good. 

thank you so much for your helpful feedback, I put down £4K deposit today for a Peugeot partner swb. I know it's not ideal but that's all I can afford right now (£7768 + VAT, 74,000 mileage,  2016 (66))
If this isn't a Euro 6 engine then I'd personally try and get out of the deal. The new Toyota is the same as the Dispatch / Expert and soon Vivaro, as soon they'll all be built at the same factory.

theres no purfect van out there. thay all have there gremlins and are all silly money for what thay are. VW transporters and sprinters are a personal faverate of mine, but even the star ship millage ones cost stupid money. old vitos had great egines and comfatable but rusted worse then a bean can on a beach.   french stuff seems to always have malfutions.  hurd loads of horror storys about moden transits.  find with vans its abit hit and miss to there reliability. can meet to guys with the same model, ones had nothing but aggro the others has never missed a beat. 

I have a Peugeot Partner with 350l tank. It's a lovely van and very nimble to maneuver. Are a bit short on space now though as I just upgraded to two reels. For a one man setup it's brilliant.

I have DI in van to filter on demand on the rare occasion I run out.

I have a Peugeot Partner with 350l tank. It's a lovely van and very nimble to maneuver. Are a bit short on space now though as I just upgraded to two reels. For a one man setup it's brilliant.

I have DI in van to filter on demand on the rare occasion I run out.
How well does your pole fit in? Does it go in the back diagonally or does it have to go in the front a bit?

How well does your pole fit in? Does it go in the back diagonally or does it have to go in the front a bit?

There are no wall bethind the seats on my model (only a metal grid behind the drivers seat). I have mounted a 110mm drain pipe inside the roof and it fits my xtreme25 and a slx18. It can barely fit a xtreme47, but then the end of the pole enters the overhead compartment. For now I have the 47 foot pole laying across the tank sticking 30cm into the "cabin", but I need to make a holder for it.

There are no wall bethind the seats on my model (only a metal grid behind the drivers seat). I have mounted a 110mm drain pipe inside the roof and it fits my xtreme25 and a slx18. It can barely fit a xtreme47, but then the end of the pole enters the overhead compartment. For now I have the 47 foot pole laying across the tank sticking 30cm into the "cabin", but I need to make a holder for it.
Sounds good. Would a bigger tank take it over the payload?

Sounds good. Would a bigger tank take it over the payload?

I believe my model can carry 800kg, so I could fit a 500l-600l tank in it without compromising the rated payload. But I also just ordered electric hose reels which is about 20kg each? It all adds up quick..

I have a 350l tank because I got a good deal on it when starting out. That said, I personally wouldn't go much above 400l as I feel the van is struggling with available motor power when tank is full. It also is visible lower when weighed down.

When operating by myself I rarely use more than 350l, but as we run two operators more often these days, we often run dry. When it's empty it feels like you drive home from work in a race car though. (I have about an hour commute most days).

I am looking towards the peugeot expert l3 (long) with 180hp, but I guess doesn't make good sense buying a new van before the old one is paid off. ?

with the intention to fit in a 500L tank at some point in the future. I saw many Peugeot Partners for sale and few VW Paddys but almost all of them are short wheel base, is that a problem?

Then I saw this:

https://www.richardscottmotors.com/used-vans/ford-transit-connect-1-5-tdci-l1-220-panel-van-5dr-eu6-romford-201811092286001

is that any good? any feedbacks would be great, thanks

Didn't you have a Transit a couple of years back? I seem to recall replying to a what van question from you before that.

I believe my model can carry 800kg, so I could fit a 500l-600l tank in it without compromising the rated payload. But I also just ordered electric hose reels which is about 20kg each? It all adds up quick..

I have a 350l tank because I got a good deal on it when starting out. That said, I personally wouldn't go much above 400l as I feel the van is struggling with available motor power when tank is full. It also is visible lower when weighed down.

When operating by myself I rarely use more than 350l, but as we run two operators more often these days, we often run dry. When it's empty it feels like you drive home from work in a race car though. (I have about an hour commute most days).

I am looking towards the peugeot expert l3 (long) with 180hp, but I guess doesn't make good sense buying a new van before the old one is paid off. ?

My son has an older 800lx Berlingo 2.0hdi. We fitted a 500 liter tank and that's just under the limit with a hose reel, pair of A frames steps and his pole, leisure baatery and with a full tank of diesel and him driving.

If I get into the van with him, his van is overloaded. So imho, a full 500l tank with a single operator and normal equipment is playing it rather close to the limit.

My son's van has a driver weight allowance of 70kgs which was never advertised by PSA, so in theory his van has a payload of 870kgs. Newer Citroen Berlingo vans have a reduced driver's allowance of 50kgs. I believe that figure is now quoted in the spec sheets if my memory serves me.

I'm not sure about driver allowances for the Dispatch/Expert/ Fiat Scudo or Toyota Proace.

My son has an older 800lx Berlingo 2.0hdi. We fitted a 500 liter tank and that's just under the limit with a hose reel, pair of A frames steps and his pole, leisure baatery and with a full tank of diesel and him driving.

If I get into the van with him, his van is overloaded. So imho, a full 500l tank with a single operator and normal equipment is playing it rather close to the limit.

My son's van has a driver weight allowance of 70kgs which was never advertised by PSA, so in theory his van has a payload of 870kgs. Newer Citroen Berlingo vans have a reduced driver's allowance of 50kgs. I believe that figure is now quoted in the spec sheets if my memory serves me.

I'm not sure about driver allowances for the Dispatch/Expert/ Fiat Scudo or Toyota Proace.
thank you so much for the feedback, I end up buying a Peugoet partner in the end with 850KG payload. still haven't install the tank yet but will be looking to get a 400litre one eventually. some claim that 500 litre is fine but I think that's pushing it

thank you so much for the feedback, I end up buying a Peugoet partner in the end with 850KG payload. still haven't install the tank yet but will be looking to get a 400litre one eventually. some claim that 500 litre is fine but I think that's pushing it

If you can get hold of a spec sheet you could well find in the small print they allow a certain driver's weight that is separate to the payload. It used to be 75kgs but it could be 50kgs in newer vans. Its not commonly advertised.

It could well be that you can comfortably fit a 500 liter upright tank in your van, but you don't have to fill it completely. But for extra few pennies original cost difference with a 400 liter tank you have peace of mind if at sometime you need the extra water. With a single operator my son's 800lx isn't overloaded with a full 500liters on board. (Actually, the tank is exactly the same size as a non baffled 500 liter tank. Many years ago I emailed Wydale tanks and they told me my 650 liter tank was around 600 liters due to the 2 baffles in the tank design.)

Back