Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paperwork... What else?

Tango

Having read about some of you having disclaimers for various things and other bits of paperwork I've been sorting mine out lately.

So far I have my:

quote / invoice / receipt slip

Roof top disclaimer

Knock sheet

Anything else I should consider?

I haven’t got any paperwork for window cleaning when I first started I thought about doing some sort of customer welcome pack then I realised people aren’t arsed they just want clean windows and someone reliable to do it 

Nothing. Just my notepad & leaflets when canvassing. I give quotes verbally, customers never ask for a receipt after I’ve done the job, I just text them that they are done if they are not home... Don’t see why you would need anything else? 

Maybe im wrong lol

"Your Windows Have Been Cleaned" slips with the option of paying via BACS or SAE - and that's about it!

Why do you need a "Roof top disclaimer"? And what is a "Knock Sheet"?

Knock sheet to keep track of who i've spoken to when canvassing, who didn't answer, who said yes, no, got a windy already... etc. Just means i know who i've not spoken to and can call on them again.

Roof top disclaimer... well I don't really want to fall through someones roof and get sued for damage!

Thanks for the "windows have been cleaned" suggestion.. although i usually put an invoice in an envelope so kinda the same thing - they know i've been.

Maybe i'm overthinking this too much... I just like to have every angle covered..

Knock sheet to keep track of who i've spoken to when canvassing, who didn't answer, who said yes, no, got a windy already... etc. Just means i know who i've not spoken to and can call on them again.

Roof top disclaimer... well I don't really want to fall through someones roof and get sued for damage!

Thanks for the "windows have been cleaned" suggestion.. although i usually put an invoice in an envelope so kinda the same thing - they know i've been.

Maybe i'm overthinking this too much... I just like to have every angle covered..

You do realise that you cannot write down who was in and who has a window cleaner , and who didn’t answer , as this is a breach of gdpr you can only record ones that have accepted your quote and given you permission to keep there details , I know it’s ridiculous but it is the law . 

You do realise that you cannot write down who was in and who has a window cleaner , and who didn’t answer , as this is a breach of gdpr you can only record ones that have accepted your quote and given you permission to keep there details , I know it’s ridiculous but it is the law . 

I don't know who's in - I just know who didn't answer! I've no idea if they're in, having a quick bonk, asleep in the bath, gardening, if the doorbell don't work etc. I just put a dash next to the house number so i know to knock there again. I destroy knock sheets anyway once done in that road.

I don't know who's in - I just know who didn't answer! I've no idea if they're in, having a quick bonk, asleep in the bath, gardening, if the doorbell don't work etc. I just put a dash next to the house number so i know to knock there again. I destroy knock sheets anyway once done in that road.

That's not what you said earlier

Really?

Where did I say I record who is out? - I didn't. I just mentioned those who don't answer. Like I said, I have no idea why they don't answer and frankly I don't care. All I do care about is that i know who i can go and knock again to offer my services.

@Tango you are definitely over thinking things as a residential window cleaner paperwork isn't needed, less over thinking more doing is the way to a successful business 

I also don't get why you are putting invoices through in an envelope either, double sided payment cards I have found after many years work the best. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ye, keep things simple. No need to make extra work for yourself. I know a few commercial cleaners they would love not have all the paperwork and red tape involved in that side of things.

Start texting receipts / invoices - it's cheaper than printing, paper, envelopes etc and more environmentally sound. 

Roof top disclaimer - not  a bad idea if the roof looks dodgy. 

List of in out said this said that etc...... too much work.  I note the ones that said yes and i note the numbers of 'no answer' whom have minging  windows and obviously no cleaner so I can hit them when I call back later.  

I do have a customer sign up sheet but not for canvassing, this is for when I get called to quote. If my spidey senses are saying customer is a bit iffy I break out the sheet and get them to sign the options they want so they know it isn't a one off clean. 

Really?

Where did I say I record who is out? - I didn't. I just mentioned those who don't answer. Like I said, I have no idea why they don't answer and frankly I don't care. All I do care about is that i know who i can go and knock again to offer my services.
You said you recorded whether they already have a cleaner etc. You can't do this anymore.

Anyway, moving on, i switched to paperless like greenpro above, I'm getting paid much quicker now. Some people pay me while their bored at work, and I'm still reeling up.

No paperwork to print, paper and ink to buy etc

You said you recorded whether they already have a cleaner etc. You can't do this anymore.

Anyway, moving on, i switched to paperless like greenpro above, I'm getting paid much quicker now. Some people pay me while their bored at work, and I'm still reeling up.

I'm was always an advocate of keeping your canvassing activity on record for future referrance, but the new data protection act seems to have annulled any form of customer or potential customer record keeping info.

This new act seems to go further than we first realised when it became 'law' last year.

But surely you must have a disclaimer for certain things like having to get on a roof to clean windows above an extension?

Simple fella you don’t get on the extension roof, you do it from the gutter line with a water fed pole off a ladder same way you would do a conny roof, or more ideally from the ground if possible. 

Flat roofs (i mean completely flat) leaded or felt type with skylight lanterns etc yeah i get up on those providing they’re sound. 

But not tiled or slated roofs you’d have to be mad. What if they have an existing leak they try and pin on you, what if you cracked tiles, fell through, fell off etc etc. Say youre charging £20 for the house that window may only equate to 1 or 2 quid result for you and youd be taking all the risks under the sun, it just wouldn’t make sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this what your Public Liability Insurance covers?
I doubt your public liability would cover you for climbing on any old roof, strictly speaking to be legal on a roof you would have to get a structural engineer to say the roof was safe to work on. I know this is a bit OTT but that is the world of H&S nowadays.

I doubt your public liability would cover you for climbing on any old roof, strictly speaking to be legal on a roof you would have to get a structural engineer to say the roof was safe to work on. I know this is a bit OTT but that is the world of H&S nowadays.
That's why we have building regulations, so that roofs are strong enough

Back