Tango

Telescopic ladders

Tango

Anyone here use one?

I bought a 5m folding telescopic one from (dare I say this?) eBay.  It feels solid enough and I'm usually a pretty good judge of engineering stuff (studied it moons ago). Anyhow.. I know this is a problem universal to telescopic ladders.. it bends.

I'm not great with ladders anyway - never really have trusted them but had to use one recently - however I need something to get me up on roof tops where the custy doesn't have one and something that i can actually get in the car. Yes I'm happy to upgrade to a roofrack / proper ladders when i can but for the [shortest] time being I'm just looking for advice on using the telescopic. So far i've managed to get up to the 3rd from top rung - when folded and when straight (as in 3rd from lower half). After that I bottle it and just can't bring myself to go any higher. I'm around 80Kgs.

Anyone here got one and how do you find it climbing up past the folding joint?

Tango

Pjj

Personally have seen to many accidents with people using them I think they are dangerous, I wouldn’t use one .

chelmsclean
Posted (edited)

I use an older version of these:

https://www.midlandladders.com/4-rung-little-giant-revolution-xe-p-468

Get me onto flat roofs and use as steps for conservatory's etc.

They've been rock solid, had them 7 years so far. Like most things the ones I bought were USA made and now I think they're made in china.

They are very heavy and solid

I wouldn't trust the flimsy ones you can get for £50.

Edited by chelmsclean

Tango
7 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Personally have seen to many accidents with people using them I think they are dangerous, I wouldn’t use one .

Mind if i ask what sort of accidents? - I'm well aware that the clips need to be fully engaged but i'm wondering if any of these ladders have actually snapped or slipped?

I should have looked into this before buying really.. but as i keep running into places with extensions... urgh... lol

CMcB

I use the xtend and climb ones, sturdy, lightweight and very compact! I love them. That being said, you need to really be careful, checking and double checking all the steps are locked before going up. If you get into the habit of that then they are very good. 

This is a video I watched before buying mine that I think answers your question @Tango

Tango

Interestingly although it did break that cheapest one flexed a lot longer than the other two before it finally gave way and broke.

Pjj
2 hours ago, Tango said:

Mind if i ask what sort of accidents? - I'm well aware that the clips need to be fully engaged but i'm wondering if any of these ladders have actually snapped or slipped?

I should have looked into this before buying really.. but as i keep running into places with extensions... urgh... lol

I know of several people who who thought that the sections had locked in place started climbing it and one side dropped down twisting the ladder sideways and consequently they fell off ,only minor injuries were caused but the potential for far more serious ones exist , I have used one on a couple of occasions years ago but didn’t really feel safe to me then theses accidents happen to to people I know who are very safety conscious and I swore I would never use one again , I would say just be very careful if using one 

Tango

Must admit I still can't bring myself to climb past the half way point with it fully extended - have tried several times today. In the A frame position I'm just about getting comfortable with it however that ain't gonna do me no good getting on someones extension roof is it. It's also bigger than i thought which means it's still gonna take up space in the astra that i thought I'd have spare - now i wish i'd just gone for the normal solid folding ladders instead. Ah well.. live and learn.. well.. hopefully live lol.

On the locks point, I've noticed if you don't extend it right then can be easily missed and don't lock so i cottoned on to that one quite quick.

Been watching youtube videos and i still can't find a single person that climbs one fully.