Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New start up advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WayneElle

Hi all. 

I have made the decision to give traditional window cleaning a serious attempt in order to earn a living. I have cleaned in the past (about 12 years ago) for a company for a couple of years, which I enjoyed. 

So so now I guess I am asking for any advice on the best way to get going on a shoestring budget. 

I came across a free round manager called squeegee which I think I will try to start with. 

One question which i think think is important. Is there a general courtesy amongst window cleaners with regards to canvassing anywhere? Or are all houses fair game as it were?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions ?

Wayne

It’s all fair game, it’s up to the customer who cleans their windows. Just don't intentionally undercut on prices, otherwise you might end up with plenty of work but not making any money.

If you involve anyone else in your endeavour you will have to pay them, so try and avoid that. Best to canvass a small area, don't stretch too far. What I used to do when canvassing was to target an area then systematically call. I would say that I have been asked to clean some windows in the road but don't have enough customers to make it viable. That will increase your chances, then, if they are keen, note the address (give a Quote) and say you'll be back to let them know. If you get enough you can take them on, and if you don't have enough, go back on the ones that seemed interested, explain you can't do them, leave you phone number. Never just go off without telling them, because, you never know, you might  be back in the area in the future. Keeping to a shoestring budget is very sensible. Good Luck.

Thank you both. 

Looking forward to getting out there, just need to get a few more things but canvassing will start in earnest ?

my business can be tracked down to a few customers who told people how good I was never canvass now and pass on all extra work to another cleaner.

So do an excellent job and word will get around

Canvass where ever you want it’s a free country , I personally wouldn’t bother with an app if you are just starting out just use spread sheets until you are better established and have a good customer base , hope it works out ok for you . 

Back