Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hard work? Or a nice little number?

Chriscp

Just starting out, equipment on its way, was wondering how hard the graft actually is..last ten years I've been working in orchards all year round in all weather's,  previous to that i worked in the print moving a mouse around a desk....am I in for a shock or is this going to be the start of a nice little number?

just repeatitve more than anything else. water fed poles are light as a feather. ladders the only weighty thing.  erecting marqees is the hardest job iv ever done. 10 to 15 hour days 7 days a week out in all weather, relentless heavy hard graft.  averaged 75 hours a week doing that all for 7.50 an hour ? window cleaning is easier on the body compared to that and alot of other manual labour jobs.  

Cheers Riggy,  not getting involved with ladders, farm work is hard graft, kept me fit but finally caught up on me, hence the change. Hardest job I ever done unloading containers by hand in Perth in 40 plus..

Cheers Riggy,  not getting involved with ladders, farm work is hard graft, kept me fit but finally caught up on me, hence the change. Hardest job I ever done unloading containers by hand in Perth in 40 plus..
Are you in Perth WA mate?

yer that sounds like hard sweat.  think establishing the round in the first place is the really hard bit. mentaly and time wise.  least thats what im finding. alot of walking which has been good cause i feel fitter already and lost abit of weight too.  just not had takers yet, its alot of unpaid effort befor any money starts coming back in.  what stratigy are you useing to find customers ?  

Not in Perth mate done that,

Walking not a problem used to walking 15  mile a day with 25kg on me,  equipment on route, worked in advertising, design print for years looking forward to getting out there and smashing it if that makes sense...

yer that sounds like hard sweat.  think establishing the round in the first place is the really hard bit. mentaly and time wise.  least thats what im finding. alot of walking which has been good cause i feel fitter already and lost abit of weight too.  just not had takers yet, its alot of unpaid effort befor any money starts coming back in.  what stratigy are you useing to find customers ?  
Finding the same mate. It’s so disheartening 

Cleaning windows using WFP is easy on the body, only part I find strenuous is reeling the hose in from the floor then lifting the reel back in the van. Your setup may be different 

Cleaning gutters, fascias is a little bit more hard work. Much harder in the beginning, but once you have the knack in doing them they become easier. 

Clearing inside of gutters is probably the most demanding

Or maybe doing conservatory roofs ?

But the job as a whole I would say is pretty easy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found sitting in an office "easy" but stressful.  This is tougher on the body obviously.  10000 steps a day, hard on the shoulders, neck, hands and elbows - I go home pretty knackered every day, but not stressed.

I don't think you can call it a "nice little number" though .  That suggests getting something for nothing which is pretty far from reality.  Everything you get, you have to graft to win and then graft to keep...

The hardest days for me are hot summer days the heat drains me & makes me slower, the light reflecting off the glass is sometimes unbearable even with shades, i use bottle after bottle of sun tan, and just that general horrible sticky feeling. You know you’d much rather be at the beach or on holiday. 

If you have the right equipment and labour you can make most jobs easier. We did a two storey town house gutter clearance yesterday blocked downpipe at the back, two guys 3 section ladder and a VAC we were done within an hour. 1 man would have been almost impossible due to problems i would have faced erecting the ladder alone. Pjj has devised a cool tool to unblock downpipes from the ground but i haven’t worked out his secrets ?Conservatory roofs are definitely hard graft.

Adman 10000 steps a day is a quarter of what I was doing with hard graft on top. That's the point I was sort of getting at, I can't see it being anywhere as near as hard as my last job, my pole turned up yesterday and has confirmed this..

Incheck,  do you usually work as a two man team?.. seems the way to go on the hard work jobs?

Cheers big man i’ve screen shotted it. next time i go to morrisons i’ll have a gander for it ?

how’s life up north? Heard it’s been pretty rough in many places i think we've got off lightly even though it’s been generally naff

Adman 10000 steps a day is a quarter of what I was doing with hard graft on top. That's the point I was sort of getting at, I can't see it being anywhere as near as hard as my last job, my pole turned up yesterday and has confirmed this..

Incheck,  do you usually work as a two man team?.. seems the way to go on the hard work jobs?
 I'm sure it will be a sunny walk in the park for you then dood

Adman

Picked up injuries from last place, all healing at the moment, got to the point where I would have to physically open my locked fingers up in the morning, my only concern is getting the customers, got to start somewhere..

Window cleaning is a very repetitive task and causes a lot of strain on small groups of muscles and joints. I wouldn’t be expecting a long career in window cleaning if was struggling with bad shoulders/elbows/wrists/fingers.

although carbon fibre poles, lightweight brushes, and electric reels all help to reduce strain.

Cheers big man i’ve screen shotted it. next time i go to morrisons i’ll have a gander for it ?

how’s life up north? Heard it’s been pretty rough in many places i think we've got off lightly even though it’s been generally naff
I was in Cambridgeshire last week and it p!ssed down there as well. Ticking over nicely up here but I'm not trying to conquer the world. Hope you're keeping busy and your family is ok.

That suntan cream has something in it so you apply it with a simple rub on and it dries itself. Nasty smelling vapour comes off so be careful round the nostrils and eyes. Will be dry in a few minutes and isn't greasy at all. 

I was in Cambridgeshire last week and it p!ssed down there as well. Ticking over nicely up here but I'm not trying to conquer the world. Hope you're keeping busy and your family is ok.

That suntan cream has something in it so you apply it with a simple rub on and it dries itself. Nasty smelling vapour comes off so be careful round the nostrils and eyes. Will be dry in a few minutes and isn't greasy at all. 
Lovely jubbly! I’ll keep the advice in mind as i only use suntan on my face and neck. I wear long sleeve tees in summer to prevent burning/skin cancer risks as im really fair and would go through so much sun tan otherwise. 

Family’s good yeah ? mrs has found a job recently which has boosted her hours considerably so its good for her socially and opens up a few doors for us financially. i’m just in the process of moving in, hope things are good for you too! 

Couple of neighborhoods flooded in east cardiff but it was isolated incidents involving a few particular streets at the bottom of hills mainly. Some people have had their houses ruined ? gotta feel sorry for them

Back